A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 4

Select the driver that you think sounds the best.

• A

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • B

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • D

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • E

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • F

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Personally, I've formed a bias for Nd motors with high ratio of BL to surface area. And also for drivers with nice cast frames. Based on this, X's reference monitor, Jeshi's comments in other thread on first impressions after receiving a pair, and price v B80, I've ordered a pair of 10f from Madisound. How could I be disappointed?

Can't wait to see what you're planning with these. The Neo magnets are something else compared to the TC9. You could build a magnetic hovertrain with them :eek:.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Can't wait to see what you're planning with these. The Neo magnets are something else compared to the TC9. You could build a magnetic hovertrain with them :eek:.

The magnet on the 10F, although powerful, is nothing compared to the force that the 5MR450NDY that Eldam is eyeing. This thing will suck screwdrivers out of your hand from 6 inches away and you will have a hard time getting it back. You can't place it near other drivers without fear of it sending things flying. Look at all the Nd slugs around the perimeter. That's how you get 95dB and 225w power rating.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I don't have the TG9. I almost chose that one for my line arrays. But after investigating every comparison I could find online I relied on the fact that I always seem to come back to enjoying paper coned speakers. So I got 2 TC9's to test and the rest is history.

I do have a set of the 10F waiting for a nice project... earlier in this thread are some ideas of what I would like to do with them. They haven't moved from my desk yet so they inspire me to a worthy idea for a dream setup.

What can give your 25 drivers speaker/side with half 10F & half TC9 ? : maybe more détails as they will not play exactly in time (or the opposite : waves cancelation?)

The magnet on the 10F, although powerful, is nothing compared to the force that the 5MR450NDY that Eldam is eyeing. This thing will suck screwdrivers out of your hand from 6 inches away and you will have a hard time getting it back. You can't place it near other drivers without fear of it sending things flying. Look at all the Nd slugs around the perimeter. That's how you get 95dB and 225w power rating.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But with its 2 mm Xmax (I would to have the PP Max number as the one before damage! 50% and 50% more ?) the problem of this PA drivers are the surounds coated paper are not made for high extension for distorsion behaviour but just for security (what really about such surrounds and OB e.g. ?) !

But if the distorsion are measured at Xmax on the datasheet, each time I look at at a suround coated paper I have a doubt ! Precision for alignement for the coil is Ok but what about the cone behaviour and distorsion at for ewample half the Xmax or at Xmax with EQ -OB in the low end of the driver towards dipole null ?...). But this little Beyma clone with better spec than the genuine one can output more than 108 db spl at Xmax if I don't make a mistake ! Great... The equivalent Supravox 13.5 cm is PP 6 mm (so I surmise 3 mm Xmax) : but only 35 Watts !

Last edited:

Those would need a (matching) tweeter, maybe the AirCirc?

:D

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
But with its 2 mm Xmax (I would to have the PP Max number as the one before damage! 50% and 50% more ?) the problem of this PA drivers are the surounds coated paper are not made for high extension for distorsion behaviour but just for security (what really about such surrounds and OB e.g. ?) !

But if the distorsion are measured at Xmax on the datasheet, each time I look at at a suround coated paper I have a doubt ! Precision for alignement for the coil is Ok but what about the cone behaviour and distorsion at for ewample half the Xmax or at Xmax with EQ -OB in the low end of the driver towards dipole null ?...). But this little Beyma clone with better spec than the genuine one can output more than 108 db spl at Xmax if I don't make a mistake ! Great... The equivalent Supravox 13.5 cm is PP 6 mm (so I surmise 3 mm Xmax) : but only 35 Watts !

It is treated cloth surround. The suspension is so stiff, I could probably sit on it. It doesn't move much with a 170Hz fs. The 2mm is linear travel not mechanical limit. This is the lowest distortion driver I have - as I showed you it was sub fractional % at 100dB.

Based on 450 watts peak, I calculate about 121dB at peak power for the PRV and 119dB at max 225 watt RMS thermal limit. Oh but we are getting OT, please continue 5MR450NDY discussion over here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/259293-prv-5mr450-ndy-fast-applications.html

Last edited:
Last edited:
What did you think of the piano and cybals from the sound clip here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...2in-4in-drivers-round-4-a-35.html#post4451939

I listen to it tomorrow and I tell you about !

What about Kind of Blue, first track : So What : the first two minutes are interressant in the cymbals family of sound ! Each time I think to classical : symphonic is too complex to isolate a driver with too much instruments in a wide band FR ! .... But the Cello suits from Bach (Rostropovitch !)...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Too bad Vifa hasn't got a spin off for that one ;)

From Madisound where I linked the picture: Price: $193.70 x2 = some pocket money left...
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/scanspeak-soft-dome-tweeters/scanspeak-illuminator-d3004/6600-aircirc-tweeter-textile-dome/

I got the price mixed up with this beauty:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...-d2908/7140-beryllium-dome-revelator-tweeter/

d2908_7140-1.jpg

Lol seriously, beryllium over zirconium carbide?

Well I think missed the poll. Bummer.

The spread is pretty ambiguous. From a quick glance it looks like it confirms what many may suspect; vifa/typhany/scan/SB all know what theyre doing.
(edit: In terms of measures...finally found results and reveal!)

I'll be watching to see if there were any surprises in the photo finish haha!
(edit: Besides that perception of drivers of nearly the same spec and impulse resp, have vastly differing subjective preference)

Still like the PS95 from.the third (?) round, and the SB from the last round.

Still I have no idea why the TG/TC9 didn't oil my britches.

Last edited: