A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 4

Select the driver that you think sounds the best.

• A

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • B

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • D

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • E

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • F

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
THD+CSD very similar to Klang+Ton mesurements..
Three best drivers still are 10F, B80 and TC9.. exactly in the same order.. nothing has changed..
B80 has only one problem, poor 3rd harmonic..
Here is B80 with AL170, 3rd order xover..

Here is HD measurement for B80 at equivalent to 90dB at 1m drive (96dB at 0.5m). I get the same bump at 1.2kHz, otherwise seems cleaner. Sometimes the mic adds noise and HD. This UMIK-1 is cleaner than the UMM-6 when it comes to HD data.

504330d1442385586-subjective-blind-comparison-2in-4in-drivers-round-4-b80-90db-hd.png

Attachments

• b80-90db-hd.png
    b80-90db-hd.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 553
With 10f I plan to start by measuring it as naked dipole for polar response and burst testing to see how low it can go without gross IMD.

Target is LXmini with DSP to get cardioid down to 500Hz, hopefully a bit lower depending on IMD.

Previously I've used Seas Prestige FU10RB H1600-04, SL's choice, with DCX2496 for crossover, EQ, and timing. First I cloned response of LXmini using 3" diameter rear damping chamber as laid out by SL. Then I optimized with 4" diameter rear damping chamber to reduce and smooth rearward pattern; enabling speaker to be placed closer to front wall. Either implementation sounds very good, but power handling is no better than my Pluto clones with Peerless 830970. With optimal listening triangle in listening space for Pluto I feel imaging is better with Pluto, than with LXmini clone with same listening setup. Growing the listening triangle the LXmini comes into its own for imaging, but SPL is not quite enough. Pluto with same bigger listening triangle suffers for a little more SPL, but room artifacts impinge with a certain sameness added to phantom image.

Imaging with Cardioid as sum of monopole and dipole speakers: using Vifa NE180W-04 as full range is amazing. Suppression of sidewall and front wall reflections seem to be big player, but sweet spot is too small due to HF beaming. With Vifa driver cardioid response down to about 200Hz is achieved, once again with SPL too limited. I could limit Vifa down to 500Hz, but seems a waste of driver potential, and beaming HF would remain.

10f has much lower Qts than FU10RB, but claims somewhat greater linear excursion, and almost double mechanical excursion limit. Burst testing will reveal how much of the excursion potential is useful.

Fallback is using 10f in FAST/Pluto that should outperform 2" Peerless and TC9 in this role. I haven't sealed the FU10RB in a FAST setup.

So X is going to kill me as it is off topic for him, buy why not the 5" from PRV Audio for more spl you need ?

Byrtt, X, why not includ this high efficienty wide band ??? instead let him alone eslwhere ?? Ok the test 5 is full and with also littlier cones...but...:xeye:

list is long, why not add a driver and divde in two tests : one for paper cones and the other for the aluminium and plastic cones ?

Last edited:
X can you do the harmonic distortion for the 10f and B80 from 40-20k hz?
If it is not too much work could you do a 40-20k with both the RS225 included and then just the driver with its 350hz crossover curve applied (mute the RS225)?
Maybe at the louder level (96dB at 0.5m)

I am curious why myself and others heard an increased "fat" bass in the B80 compared to the other drivers.
thank you :)

Last edited:
Here is HD measurement for B80 at equivalent to 90dB at 1m drive (96dB at 0.5m). I get the same bump at 1.2kHz, otherwise seems cleaner. Sometimes the mic adds noise and HD. This UMIK-1 is cleaner than the UMM-6 when it comes to HD data.

504330d1442385586-subjective-blind-comparison-2in-4in-drivers-round-4-b80-90db-hd.png
It would be interesting if it's possible to measure distortion at 85db and 95db and record at the same time. Then calibrate them to same loudness and make a blind test.

Peter

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

It would be interesting if it's possible to measure distortion at 85db and 95db and record at the same time. Then calibrate them to same loudness and make a blind test.

Do you mean a test to listen for the distortion? Very few will be able to "hear" it. And to proof that it is really audible instead of just imagination, it must be done for example using ABX. But then the test must be controlled [similar starting time, similar sound level, and so on and so on] so that the difference heard is not because of something other than the distortion alone.

Then the electronics [of the recording chain] should have very low noise so that the distortion difference is not buried under the noise.

Then the speaker [and electronics] at home should be low distortion also :D

I think most people [experts especially] don't believe that small non linear distortion difference of drivers is audible :p

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I missed that, thanks a lot Byrtt for the link :)

The setup has changed a lot since then and I may put a 5MR450NDY into the same setup here for comparison. It will be a Nautaloss though and not a Dagger, as it is too big to fit Dagger. This way you will get a more current comparison vs the top drivers.

Last edited:
That's my point, there is quite many that dismiss drivers due to some (maybe also flawed) measurements flying around the internet.

I think a proper objective controlled test is almost impossible to setup. But I believe in subjectively low threshold of audible non linear distortion. It is unproven of course but I believe in it.

Imagine you were unable to hear differences between these drivers in this round test. Wouldn't it better if you just purchase the cheapest driver, instead of looking for objectively good measurement results? Don't you find it ironic? Objectively good measurement results should only be more relevant for those with good ears.

Yes, and I disagree with many of the points.

Saying that non linear distortion doesn't matter is wrong. You have to specify the threshold, and you have to mention/specify the listener. Logical reason is: if the listener is deaf of course it doesn't matter.

And I'm more interested with my own ears than how many hundred ears any expert have used to test his hypothesis.

And if you want to say that it is not critical for a good speaker design, of course it is only correct as long as the bottleneck or weakest link is NOT on the non linear distortion itself.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
X can you do the harmonic distortion for the 10f and B80 from 40-20k hz?
If it is not too much work could you do a 40-20k with both the RS225 included and then just the driver with its 350hz crossover curve applied (mute the RS225)?
Maybe at the louder level (96dB at 0.5m)

I am curious why myself and others heard an increased "fat" bass in the B80 compared to the other drivers.
thank you :)

I will see what I can do, time permitting.

Yes, and I disagree with many of the points.

Saying that non linear distortion doesn't matter is wrong.
Geddes doesn't say that, he says that the importance of nonlinear distortion is overestimated, and that there is no clear correlation between THD/IMD and perceived sound quality up to a point where the nonlinearity simply becomes too much to be ignored. He actually agrees with your assessment that you have to specify a threshold.

Other qualities of the loudspeaker (most importantly, directivity) which do not appear in the "standard" list of specs and graphs have a greater impact on the reported subjective sound quality. In that sense, Floyd Toole gives exactly the same message. When I read Geddes' articles and watched Toole's presentation on Youtube, I had to think of the room in a way acting like an integrating sphere, albeit with low frequency modes and some damping added. After a certain reverberant time, the spectrum of the reflections becomes a weighted average of what the loudspeaker has spewed out in all directions. If this diffuse field has an obnoxious tonal balance, your speaker will subjectively suck, regardless of a ruler flat on-axis anechoic response and vanishingly low distortion.

I think I can agree with that position. It is a bit of a shift in design priorities, unfortunately towards things that are harder to get right. Instead of aiming at a flat on axis response and low distortion, the speaker can only be "good" when it has a smooth integrated polar power response under the conditions that the on-axis response is flat AND it has sufficiently low distortion at its intended output level. If you reverse this coin, it means that tweaking the on-axis response to flat within 0.5 dB and aiming for ultra-low distortion is fruitless as long as the power response is sub-optimal.

Geddes doesn't say that, he says that the importance of nonlinear distortion is overestimated

Even that statement is not precise. Who has overestimated the importance of non linear distortion? The majority of ? May be he is the one who had over estimated it's importance, using his own assumptions, then he used other people ears to "prove" that he was wrong.

This is what he said: I am putting this topic out so that people can become aware of what is being recognized as the truth about distortion. Its not what we thought it was. Pursuing a loudspeaker design to lower the distortion is a waste of time if its nonlinear distortion that you are trying to lower. It simply doesn't matter.

We have to learn from this driver test. People prefer 10F, B80 and even that bloody Dayton. Do you think those ears do not matter? Experts should learn and understand what people prefer, not to force his own preference. If you know precisely that directivity is the key to great speaker, then you know precisely that you will get rich because everyone will purchase your speaker.

Now how many years do you think does Toole and Harman International need to put M1 in the group of most wanted speakers in history?