Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Iteration 39 wip. Thanks mabat for a wonderful tool. Looking forward to measuring this one. Will start a new build thread. Hmm. What to call it...?

Attachments

• speaker.jpg
    speaker.jpg
    854.5 KB · Views: 362
Getting my head around exponential shapes on the real wall of the cabinet. A fairly shallow Hyp-Exp shape followed by a shallow Hyp-Exp rear port flare. Yields interesting spl curve with low port noise and less box resonance. 12p80nd with -f3 ~ 85Hz. A la "LineSource" again. Port air velocoty sub 1ms-1. Now to figure out exp driven curves in Solidworks...

Attachments

• pic9.png
    pic9.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have finally managed to finish the circular symmetry output. Sample simulation of a free-standing demo waveguide: 100 frequency points, 500 Hz - 20 kHz, mesh frequency 40 kHz. Solving time: 11 seconds :)

attachment.php

Probably available in 4.6.2 some day...

Attachments

• free-standing-circsym.png
    free-standing-circsym.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 814
  • free-standing-circsym-pmap.png
    free-standing-circsym-pmap.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 149
  • free-standing-circsym-imp.png
    free-standing-circsym-imp.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 151
  • free-standing-circsym-mesh.png
    free-standing-circsym-mesh.png
    116 KB · Views: 167
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No, the trick here is the axial symmetry - ABEC/AKABAK has a special computation mode for that. So this is not a full 3D simulation, it is only applicable to axisymmetric devices. In that case it is possible to reduce the calculations considerably.

This is the whole "mesh" in this particular example:

attachment.php

Attachments

• CircSym_mesh.PNG
    CircSym_mesh.PNG
    8.7 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:
I've done an attempt at copying the Visaton WG148R to have some kind of benchmark design to compare my designs with. I traced the profile from the drawing and matched it in ath:

wg148r_profile.png

It simulates like this:
visaton_wg148_H.jpg

Comparing the simulation with the measurements at Test Seas Noferro-900 Visaton Waveguide WG-148R we see that the measurement has a better directivity control at lower frequencies, which I guess is because it is measured in an finite baffle. So, does anyone have a nice method to add an baffle to an ath produced waveguide and simulate it like that instead? It would be nice to compare the results :)

Here are the ath parameters for those interested:
Geometry.Definition = 1
Throat.Profile = 1
Throat.Diameter = 38
Throat.Angle = 15
Coverage.Angle = 40
Length = 21
Term.s = 2.25
Term.n = 2.25
Term.q = 0.999

Attachments

• visaton_wg148_H_norm.jpg