Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
There are better ways how to add extension and output, without deteriorating the directivity.

Let's keep waveguides doing their best, what can't be gained otherwise - the clean directivity control. For adding extension without controlled directivity, you don't need a beaming horn.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I was curious about the optimization myself. What metrics do you optimize to? What is assumed? Like throat area, etc.
What I realized very quickly is that I actually don't need any such thing. I know what I want, and the whole algorithm is simply me briefly skimming through randomly generated results and picking the most promising ones for another round. For the most part, two rounds are enough when you know already what roughly to start with. It's really that simple and as far as I can tell there's no reason to make it any more complex - i.e. fix what you want fixed in a particular case, let other variables vary randomly within defined limits and see what happens. Typically there quickly emerges what you are looking for.

Let's call it an evolution by expert's eye selection.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
You mean simulating the throats of the horns as simple membranes?

We already know that for 1" drivers these simulations typically match the actual measurements pretty well to 12 - 13 kHz. So for 2" one would assume it would be only around 6 kHz (pretty low, isn't it). So far I hadn't a chance to do the same for a 2" driver so I don't know. But I wouldn't hope for the reality to be much better than the simulation.

Last edited: