Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Should we go back to multicell horns when using 2"? :D

Well we have learned, but it was of course already anticipated, that wider throats yield lower cut-ins of the diaphragm modes. For a 1" throat all the modes are high enough that we could likely ignore them. For a 2" they will pose a significant limitation on the HF response, most likely causing the need for another driver to handle this frequency region. To me, the take-away is that for home HF one should limit themselves to a 1" driver.

As to the effect that these modes will have on the response, I should make clear that many things can happen - it all depends on the phase of the HOM relative to the normal mode. One phase adds and the directivity will narrow and the opposite phase will substract, creating a possible hole, and anything in-between is possible. Hence, the driver specifics will determine the response once the HOM kick in and will differ from driver to driver. Below that, the HOM will have little to no effect on the drivers allowing only the planar mode to propagate.

These are all useful new knowledge, although neither surprising nor unanticipated, but still Mabat has shown that they are real and can have a significant effect on the results.

One could take these results and highly accurate polar results (not trivial to do at these very high frequencies) to calculate back to the throat and find out what the throat motion was. For 1" drivers this is likely a waste of time, but for 2" ones it would be feasible to do and likely very instructive.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Looks bit more wilder this one. Can you test some other waveguide profiles as well? The first results you posted might be smoothest already?

Straight sided conical? how about small step/angle mismatch at the horn throat? some random device from the simulation runs you posted few days ago? Does mouth rollback have any effect?
Surprisingly, at least to me, nothing seems to have much of an effect. Off-axis variations change to some degree depending on a particular profile, but the frequency of the impedance peak is actually constant and only the peak value changes. I don't know whether this has any physical explanation or might be just an error (?).

The first quick&dirty batch for the 0,1 mode - some random mutations of a basic free standing waveguide (1" throat): ATH - Advanced Transition Horns - Gallery (the plots need improvement)

Anyone can easily try themselves. Attached are the required source definitions for the basic axisymmetric modes being discussed. This presents adding one line into an existing Ath script.

Attachments

• duct_modes.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 51
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I made it at least four here, which I consider as a counterexample and so proven otherwise :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 3_grafy.png
    3_grafy.png
    237.6 KB · Views: 656
Joined 2004
Paid Member
How is this "sweet part" defined? The horn is still the same, so why should it have three different sweet parts? And if it depends on a driver, then it's not a property of the horn, is it. I could have a driver extending the sweet part considerably then. Sorry, but this makes no sense. That the frequency response is not flat, is irrelevant for the quality of the horn.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
For me talking only horn is a bit too clinical. So boring with no music :) so my comments (3 oct) where for the playing combination. Local (not talking infinite!) variations are due to resonance or suck-out and that makes the impedance change. These things are unwanted. If they can be designed away or not I don't know - guess it should be possible... You seems to be a perfectionist so I'm sure your are glansing them with somewhat of an evil eye.. ;)

//

Marcel,

Thanks again for this software. Sadly, I need help one more time.

I modelled a waveguide which works for me, size wise (165mm) and also having a wide directivity (i understand this is good in a small room) but when I try to export the surface to Fusion 360 I get an error.

Other designs (like the one signed with number 2) are properly imported in Fusion 360 without a problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-05 114719.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-06-05 114719.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 260
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 261
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 253
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have seen this before but unfortunately I still have no clue what's wrong. Usually it helps to change the mesh grid somehow (perhaps generating fewer splines / points per spline, I don't know).

BTW, is this really what you want? The 'marto8' doesn't look like a proper waveguide at all, more like a mediocre direct-radiating dome tweeter. Number 2 is definitely closer to what I would choose.

Last edited: