Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would never bother to point out an inconsistency in other's speech if I understood what they mean.

Please understand that a "horn designed using Ath" is too general term to be used in any technical context, other than simply saying that someone made a horn using my tool. That's why I repeatedly object to using the term "ATH horn" as a technical classification - it makes absolutely no sense, it can be anything, from a piece of beamimg and resonating crap to a state-of-the-art waveguide. Does it then make sense to make an "average" of that?

Last edited:
edit should have quoted post 7161

I agree, although what a person means can often be deduced by considering context and source.

The problem is there no single term that means what RO808 meant when he used the term you objected to. Its onerous to have to use an entire sentence or paragraph in the absence of such a term. The only way we can have such a term is to define one and agree on its use. We can even use that once meaningless term for this purpose once we agree on its meaning.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
i whole heartedly agree....so why do we use the term waveguide....oh wait someone thought that using a new term could remove the notion that horn honk/distortion does exist....
:cop: This matter has been well defined in the past on this site, some of it before your time here. Nevertheless, why not start your own thread. This thread is not the place for it, if you use ATH4 it's for a reason.

I don't want to have to research all the different ways you've turned this topic into an opportunity for combative posting in the past, but if you continue to disrupt this thread for any reason there may be consequences. :cop:

@mabat,
when I read Ro808's comment about the average ATH horn (or whatever he/she said precisely) I read it as a compliment to (you) your software.

To me it implied that you've created a tool that:

• anyone can use for free;

• that allows us to make a bespoke horn/WG (whatever!) to our hearts content;

• with possibly better performance that was ever previously available for purchase, at any price; and

• that the standard of these "on average" is without peer before you made your tool available to us.
High praise indeed then.

:cheers:

Hi mabat,

I am playing with your great tool a bit and still learning, how it works.
I have a question: I have some difficulties with building the waveguide you showed in #941 with the current version of ath. I am sure that I did something wrong.
Would it possible that you publish the script for the current ath version?

Raphael

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Would it possible that you publish the script for the current ath version?
Try this. It's really a very basic shape (not bad at all).

Code:
; Waveguide from post #941 adopted for Ath 4.7

Throat.Profile = 1          ; OSSE
Throat.Diameter = 33        ; [mm]
Throat.Angle = 0            ; [deg]
Length = 114                ; [mm]

GCurve.Type = 1             ; superellipse
GCurve.AspectRatio = 0.952
GCurve.Width = 130          ; [mm]
GCurve.Dist = 0.5

Term.s = 0.7
Term.n = 4.0