Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
One question: why do you add a fixed number before you start the cosine fuction? I omitted this completely because I saw no use, but maybe I missed something.
I had some meshing problems (Gmsh warning messages) so I just shifted the slot boundary a little further from the throat, which helped. If you don't have any issues, there's no reason why to keep it there I guess.

thank you!

You are very much into the weeds here so I would say the simulations (for this version at least) are done :)
I think it's about time to build it :)

Thank you all for your patience with my small Q&A attack. I am still inexperienced and lack the judgement when it comes to the causes of imperfections in audio, which naturally leads me to become questioning about the results and my usage of the tools at hand. Did not want to beleaguer the thread. My final simulation for reassurance shows that the wiggles get ever lesser with higher (throat) resolution, in this case 1 mm. I will apply what I have learned to the beta 5 and optimize some more for myself. Will be a while until I can print and measure on a real driver, but when I leave my results in the thread, you can approach me for the surface if someone wants to give it a try.

Did you want a flatter DI and leave in the on and near axis ripples?

Coping with the ripples in this frequency area is a matter of degrees of freedom with the parameters. I was limited to surpress the on and near axis ripples without tightening the pattern in the HF, so yes, they stayed to have a flatter DI. Will see what ath 5 allows me to do. To me these ripples seemed minor. I also do not know yet if they can be avoided in total.

Maybe you need to check the 22 and 45 deg behaviour with these slots?
I cannot follow tbqh, what's bugging you?

Attachments

• spl.png
    spl.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 291
  • spl_hor.png
    spl_hor.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 282
  • spl_dia.png
    spl_dia.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 273
  • waveguide.png
    waveguide.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 279
  • view.jpg
    view.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 261
  • sono.png
    sono.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Because I could not counter the tightening of the pattern above 10k if the slots took too much surface area. The pattern got narrow then. Now that I can choose a lower OS.k, I need to see where that gets me, maybe the slots can be used more aggressive without loss of pattern width.

One question: why do you add a fixed number before you start the cosine fuction? I omitted this completely because I saw no use, but maybe I missed something.

If you are using a diffraction slot in a waveguide generated by ATH, I found that I was able to improve things by quite a bit by doing this:

1) generate the waveguide with ATH

2) take the waveguide and smooth the entire thing using the 'smooth' function in meshmixer

This works really nicely because the ATH software produces a hard edge at the transition between the diffraction slot and the waveguide.

I posted about how to do this in the last 4-6 weeks, but I'm too lazy to find the post.

The smooth function does this:

Trails%2Bsmooth%2B-%2BMeshsmooth.gif

Joined 2004
Paid Member
This works really nicely because the ATH software produces a hard edge at the transition between the diffraction slot and the waveguide.
But that's not true, at least not in general. There are no sharp edges in what sheeple or me just created. There must be some other cause. The waveguide profile starts exactly in the same way as if no slot is present and the angles match smoothly if everything is set properly.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sure, that's simply a special case. Can be placed individually in different sizes and "polarities".
I made some first experiments but it will be extremely tricky as it's very sensitive. I even didn't save all the pictures of the profiles yet. Here are some random results (of which T1 was the very first and it was actually a bug with only a half of the bump - a result I can't reproduce with a "proper" bump anymore).

Next time I will try some systematic approach. It almost seems that with the right sequence of bumps and dips virtually any response could be modeled. Unfortunately I have no clue how to proceed with such a mess. Maybe with some really advanced optimization technique, who knows.

Attachments

• CE360-T4.png
    CE360-T4.png
    134.9 KB · Views: 325
  • CE360-T2.png
    CE360-T2.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 336
  • CE360-T1.png
    CE360-T1.png
    117.5 KB · Views: 334
  • CE360-clean.png
    CE360-clean.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
One example, 1" throat (mind the changed frequency axis range) -
(The bump on the outside is just a by-product, that's not intentional :) )

Attachments

• T-A-CLEAN.PNG
    T-A-CLEAN.PNG
    10.4 KB · Views: 298
  • T-A-T1.PNG
    T-A-T1.PNG
    11.6 KB · Views: 134
  • TicklerA-CLEAN.png
    TicklerA-CLEAN.png
    119.3 KB · Views: 134
  • TicklerA-T1.png
    TicklerA-T1.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just a vision - if we had a "library" of tinkler bumps and their individual effects on the response, and because it's all linear, perhaps we could then measure a real driver and based on the measured response we could tweak it by adding suitable bumps? Well it sounds wierd. And most probably it wouldn't work at all due to diffferent wavefront shapes.