Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Probably the best result I obtained, the most free of numerical artefacts -

Flat source alone:
flat-4.PNG

With added rings:
rings-4.PNG

So to speak, "I can't see that device doing much of anything", as Earl said.

- ABEC project attached. I'm open to suggestions.

Attachments

• WG+rings_ABEC_FreeStanding.zip
    71.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
sharing the results of his “50 cent part” with the DIY community are not part of the Klipsch business model.

I agree with Marcel, without some real data, I'd have to assume that the sims are correct. If this really worked well, then I would expect any company to show the data as an advertisement of the feature. Not so much if it didn't work too well.

Sounds very suspicious to me.

That's just a name of a common project, mainly sharing the same waveguide. The title in parentheses (and the attached image) then "suggests" that the driving section has been replaced by a spherical source in that particular case.
So it's a pizza tonno, only without tuna.
Thank's for the clarification.

The effectiveness of such a lens is minimal, which has been proven by a large number of K402 owners who've used the horns with different drivers excluding lens.

Last edited:
Without actual data it's just hard not to be sceptical. I mean, it would be great if it worked, as it would be a simple and easily replaceable addition to existing devices, but so far nothing indicates it really works as intended (if I can assume the intention, i.e. to lessen the HF beaming of a 2" source).
Does Klipsch actually provide a directivity plot of their speaker?
I'm yet to see a 2" driver having an uniform directivity above 10k that exceeds 15 degrees.
The ESP tests I made actually worked, however I never managed to get rid of the dips the plug introduced.
I think a very exotic idea is to make a multicell ish version of the plug that starts as semi rings and turns in to rectangles.
I also didn't try making an elliptical horn sitting on an ESP plug.

Last edited:
Does Klipsch actually provide a directivity plot of their speaker?
I have not found any directly provided by Klipsch, but also can't find any spec sheets for the Cinema systems the K-402 was designed for around the year 2020.

Chris A (Cask05 on DIY audio) has posted polar plots of the K-402:
https://community.klipsch.com/index...r-patterns-and-frequency-responses-for-horns/

In posts #201 Cask05 posts and #218 he posts more, and his MEH K-402 using two 15" woofers, though none quite agree with each other:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/best-compression-drivers-today-2022.382609/page-11

Last year he installed Roy Delgado's "phase plug extension horn throat diverging acoustic lens" as depicted in post 205 of the above thread, but has not done a comparative polar measurement test with and without and is "not sure that the polar sonograms will show that much".

So no actual measurements of what the parallel rings do, or the dips they introduce, or how they would compare to your ESP tests.

I'd really enjoy seeing you testing out the concept, but based on Marcel's models and all the above, wouldn't expect to see a net measurable positive improvement in VHF constant coverage.

Art

Hey Art,
I do believe Marcel's implementation of the plug works, it just has to be implemented in a proper way.
My inability to get a working device together is mostly due to mistakes I've made.
I also tried making an overcomplicated version of the ESP plug using Grasshopper, but it had a much worse performance.
After the summer I'll give the Rectangular ESP device a go. Using narrow channels instead of rings. (kind of like the multicell)

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just tested a 2-profile geometry with mouth folding. The simplest approach was to define a R-OSSE profile on the diagonal with a defined inclination.

2p-rosse.PNG

Horizontal, vertical, diagonal (garbage above 10 kHz):
DS8R-H5.png
DS8R-V5.png
DS8R-D5.png

To repeat, by "2-profile" I mean a shape composed of a symmetric pair of two flat or bended boards (easy to make in any size) + a short circle-to-rectangle throat adapter.

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Returning back to the 2-profile geometry, I've found a way how to import the circle-to-rectangle adapter into Fusion, retaining the sharp corners -
Flat or bended boards can be smoothly attached to this interface...
This is interesting I am working on multi driver throat adapters at the moment and the only process for generating them I can think of is to create a point cloud in matlab/octave and then fit a surface to that, this is not ideal though as the geometry is quantized. I am not a CAD expert though. My throat adapters preserve the horn area expansion (exponential), incorporate bends (for multi driver) and also perform round to rectangular transition. Have you any thoughts on a better way of making them?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
My throat adapters preserve the horn area expansion (exponential), incorporate bends (for multi driver) and also perform round to rectangular transition. Have you any thoughts on a better way of making them?
You mean other than via a point cloud? I'm not sure what are incorporated bends, that may be an obstacle, but if you are able to cut the adapter into slices of known geometry, it's easy to import the whole (interpolated) surface into e.g. Fusion 360 - I have a new and pretty universal import script for that which I can share.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
You mean other than via a point cloud? I'm not sure what are incorporated bends, that may be an obstacle, but if you are able to cut the adapter into slices of known geometry, it's easy to import the whole (interpolated) surface into e.g. Fusion 360 - I have a new and pretty universal import script for that which I can share.
This sounds like it would work with my bends as well. The bend is just a simple radius (I don't know if this is optimal, it just seemed like a simple thing to try first)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
For those willing to pursue this kind of geometry, this would be a project template (replace the numbers by your best fit - I didn't try):

Code:
HornGeometry = 2
Length = 340
Throat.Diameter = 50

Horn.Adapter = {
  L = 0
  Width = 54
  Height = 54
  Segments = 1
}

Horn.Part:1 = {
  L = 1
  Segments = 16
  H = {
    k = 0
    a = 42
    s = 0.7
    n = 6.0
    q = 0.98
  }
  V = {
    k = 0
    a = 30
    s = 0.6  
    n = 6.0
    q = 0.98
  }
  ZMap = 0.5,0.5,0.5,0.9
}

; -------------------------------------------------------

Mesh.AngularSegments = 64
Mesh.ThroatResolution = 10
Mesh.MouthResolution = 16
Mesh.InterfaceResolution = 10
Mesh.RearResolution = 25
Mesh.SubdomainSlices = -2
Mesh.InterfaceOffset = 0
Mesh.WallThickness = 10

; -------------------------------------------------------

ABEC.SimType = 2
ABEC.f1 = 200 ; [Hz]
ABEC.f2 = 20000 ; [Hz]
ABEC.NumFrequencies = 40
ABEC.MeshFrequency = 1000 ; [Hz]

ABEC.Polars:SPL_H = {
  MapAngleRange = 0,180,37
  Distance = 2
}

ABEC.Polars:SPL_V = {
  MapAngleRange = 0,180,37
  Distance = 2
  Inclination = 90
}

Report = {
  Title = "K-horn test"
  PolarData = SPL_H
  NormAngle = 0
  Width = 1400
  Height = 800
}

Output.STL = 0
Output.ABECProject = 1

1658855918961.png

Attachments

• K-horn.stl
    120.4 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2004
Paid Member
For the ABEC mesh (Output.ABECProject) it's fine to set the adapter size the same as the throat diameter:

Throat.Diameter = 50 ;[mm]
Horn.Adapter = {
L = 0
Width = 50
Height = 50
Segments = 1
}

i.e. there will be no spaces between the source disc and the walls -
1658857832233.png

For the STL output (Output.STL) this doesn't work yet.