Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Where is the drawback using a coax compression driver? They do combine both sources in the pure pressure area before any expansion. There are some good out there and 400Hz easily reachable as I showed with my dcx 464. Of course a free choice of hf and mf driver would be nice. But is the benefit worth the work?

It's called DIY, an enjoyable activity, for some :)
Based on what I've seen, the HF outputs of coaxial compression drivers still leave a lot to be desired. I would be interested in how clean a MEH design can be. The moving wall seems like a good idea to me (if not moving too much), and a moving wall beneath a thin perforated cover perhaps even better. It all comes down to how clean HF response it would provide. If not better than the other solutions, than it's probably not worth the effort. Are you not interested to try?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Simple rule is that they should not vibrate and make sound, although perhaps vibration doesn't matter if the transportability is priority number one. Just "regular print" I did vibrates audibly, and had to dampen it. Perhaps you can have backup plan: in case your foldable / inflatable waveguide has too much of a problem with it, there is possibility to add dampening somehow.

Reactions: 1 user
It's called DIY, an enjoyable activity, for some :)
Based on what I've seen, the HF outputs of coaxial compression drivers still leave a lot to be desired. I would be interested in how clean a MEH design can be. The moving wall seems like a good idea to me (if not moving too much), and a moving wall beneath a thin perforated cover perhaps even better. It all comes down to how clean HF response it would provide. If not better than the other solutions, than it's probably not worth the effort. Are you not interested to try?
It's also nice to do it because nobody has done it :D

Joined 2004
Paid Member
A520G2/25-STD-1 + RCF NDX595

ATH A520G2-T520-25-STD-1 + RCF NDX595.png
ATH A520G2_T520-25-STD-1 + RCF NDX595 SPA.png

Reactions: 1 user