Aleph J illustrated build guide

Congratulations for the 10 000:th Aleph J post!

🙂

Regarding resistors: I do not know, since i have not A/B listening tested resistors yet.

I am planning to do a A/B- test some day: The resistor in the passive crossover for the tweeters or the compression drivers seems to be good candidates, and very easy to switch. 🥁🎺🙂🎸🎷

Reactions: 1 user
I was on holiday for a few weeks, so I had a day here and there I could spend on my hobby. So, logically, I looked at the Aleph J schematics again and considered what else I could do to improve the sound even further. The things I've done so far were a bypass of C1 with a copper link, removing a short circuit protection transistor and associated voltage divider resistors, and the work I put into decoupling power supply rails with polypropylene film caps and my favourite Black Gate N-type caps.

So, I kept looking at the schematics diagram hoping the Muse would strike... and then I realised that 2k trimpot that sets DC offset should be treated the same way as I/V reisistor in current-out DACs. What I had there before the mod, was a Bourns 2k trimpot, but I decided to find a suitable discrete resistor replacement to see what would happen with the sound. The more I looked at it, the more I wondered how the hell I didn't realise the importance of that 2k resistor before...?

So, I ended up using my favourite graphite film resistors, 1.2K each, 0.25W. And the result was mind-boggling. My kids thought that I bought a brand-new amplifier. What stood out was the speed, extension at both ends... and in particular the top-end extension in "all directions".

The resistor choice (carbon, metal film, Rhopoint (could be inductive!), TX2352, Holco...) would depend on your personal listening preferences and definitely on the rest of your system. I remember achieving very good I/V results with TX2352s, and TDA1541 / DDDACs... but in the case of Aleph J, the carbon films worked best for me.

So, if you do not have better things to do this 2024, put the above mod at the top of your list (of improvements).
HI , can I know the carbon films you like is?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This is very interesting but perhaps more advanced than me at this time. Wouldn't you need to measure your individual unit to arrive at the appropriate resistor value?
Its no big deal, just solder in resistor. I see that advice more than one time to replace pot with resistor. Seems like there is a recommended value to use from the get go.

I have not replaced the pot yet! 😕 It's been totally reliable, hasn't been a reason to work on it.

I would have to use the "measure the pot" method for best sleep.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
IIRC in this build guide it covers it, suggesting using a fixed resistor of a certain value. May be in the banter afterwards, not actual "guide" part.

Apologies if this is wrong and info is elsewhere....it was (and still is) a popular build at the time and I read a ton of stuff back then.

Russellc

My R7 resistance values were 1450 and 1380 ohms... or 1350 and 1280... I can not remember exactly.
The quiescent current is set at 490 mV (on power up, cold) which drops to 460 mV once the amp reaches its nominal temperature. The case is deluxe 5U; the transformer is 400VA, with a 2 x 20V AC secondary voltage. My rails are around 24.5V DC loaded.
C1s are removed/bypassed with copper links; the short circuit protection transistors Q3 (and associated voltage divider resistors R13 & R14) are removed.
The power supply has additional DC-rails decoupling caps: Wima pp film 0.01uF / 50V and bipolar Black Gate N-type 100uF / 50V.

The R7 trim-pots substitute with discrete resistors was the best upgrade sound-wise.

Installing/soldering the socket pins, to allow for different resistor types, is probably an excellent idea. I'll do that next.... I like Allen Bradley's natural ease of presentation, but the TX2352 precision and "factor-zero colouring" is also nice... The choice would purely depend on the quality of the material/files being played... I settled on Allan Bradley in the end. That was a very hard decision to make.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user