Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello NicMac,
did you find your problem?
i have the same problem with the FifoPi Q2 with SinePi and external clocks
No - I did not. I tried several things, but nothing solved the issue. No suggestions from Ian
According to the SinePi manual it should work and I do not recall Ian having admitted any issues.
I could of course get the Q3, but now I understand that this might also not work... Or get the Q7 and trash my SinePi....
I'm scared of throwing god money after bad money with this so I'm still considering what to do.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
This is a known issue and if I remember correctly it is due to the external clocks being switched on constantly while the on board clocks are triggered by a separate pin.
Ian can explain more in detail.

Q3 does not have this problem.
Indeed, that was an issue of Q2 (solved in Q3) that SinePi was also supposed to fix (together with other improvements) and the reason I purchased it.
However, I suspect that SinePi was never actually tested with Q2 before marketed and I don't recall hearing about anybody who actually made it work.

Indeed, that was an issue of Q2 (solved in Q3) that SinePi was also supposed to fix (together with other improvements) and the reason I purchased it.
However, I suspect that SinePi was never actually tested with Q2 before marketed and I don't recall hearing about anybody who actually made it work.

Hi NicMac,

Just tested Q2 (fortunately I still have one :) ) and SinePi today and confirmed that SinePi works with Q2.
Because the architecture of the clock section is a bit different from Q3 and Q7, it has to be careful to use the half sin configuration on Q2.
But for new system, I recommend using Q7 with SinePi, because Q7 has a better relay driver for the SinePi.

Ian

Hi,
I'm trying to run Q7 with Roopie and a DDDAC. What I'm getting is soft music against a background of static. So nearly there :) But one thing that may be causing this is-what DAC setting do I use in Roopie as DDDAC isn't an option?
Look forward to some suggestions!

David
Hi,

Have you tried the raspberry i2s? This is what I’ve used before with ryanj tda1541 dac and it worked fine.

Hi,NicMac
Yesterday, I tested FifoPi Q2 and SinePi with 2 DRIXO and ReclockerPi for the first time. In my case, It worked perfectly. I hope you fix the problem very soon

Ready to install: stationpi pro, receiverpi pro, fifoq7 replacing stationpi, reveiverpi, reclocker, fifoq1.

Attachments

• 20221115_213954.jpg
    20221115_213954.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 178
Hi Ian!

Just purchased a FIFOPI Q7 + TransportPi Mk2 at audiophonics.
Using 3 LinearPi's for Raspberry Pi 4 (5V), FiFOPi Q7 (3,3V), TransportPi Mk2 (3,3V- removed L1).
Unfortunately the Accusilicon-clocks I also purchased (45-49; 90-98) don't work. With the default Set of clocks it works (Driver for Volumio- generic).
There is another big problem that stopped me using the hats:

I also just purchased an RME ADI2 DAC FS, which is fantastic. But it's internal DC-protection immediately closes outputs
detecting high amounts of DC coming from the boards (even via toslink!) It happens, when I stop a track - this amount
of DC might be able to destroy headphones or speakers. The DC from the signal remains till the next track is chosen-
then outputs on the RME get opened again. With any other DIGI-HATS I have there are no problems at all.
With FIFOPIQ3 and original Transportpi it's the same- also large amounts of DC with the RME DAC when track stopped.
But with FIFOPIQ3 and Transport the Accusilicon clocks work.

Have just followed all instructions in the manuals.
Is there any solution?

A lot of thanks in advanced!

Greetingz, Robert

Hi Ian!

Just purchased a FIFOPI Q7 + TransportPi Mk2 at audiophonics.
Using 3 LinearPi's for Raspberry Pi 4 (5V), FiFOPi Q7 (3,3V), TransportPi Mk2 (3,3V- removed L1).
Unfortunately the Accusilicon-clocks I also purchased (45-49; 90-98) don't work. With the default Set of clocks it works (Driver for Volumio- generic).
There is another big problem that stopped me using the hats:

I also just purchased an RME ADI2 DAC FS, which is fantastic. But it's internal DC-protection immediately closes outputs
detecting high amounts of DC coming from the boards (even via toslink!) It happens, when I stop a track - this amount
of DC might be able to destroy headphones or speakers. The DC from the signal remains till the next track is chosen-
then outputs on the RME get opened again. With any other DIGI-HATS I have there are no problems at all.
With FIFOPIQ3 and original Transportpi it's the same- also large amounts of DC with the RME DAC when track stopped.
But with FIFOPIQ3 and Transport the Accusilicon clocks work.

Have just followed all instructions in the manuals.
Is there any solution?

A lot of thanks in advanced!

Greetingz, Robert
Hi Roberto1969,

Here is the solution, it's very easy to fix, Please read the troubleshooting sections in the users manual
https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload/blob/master/FifoPi/FifoPiQ7/FifoPiQ7Manual.pdf

Thanks Ian!

Then only the very serious question of the DC-problem- transmitted within the digital signal at stopping tracks is unsolved.

This amount of DC occures when stopping a track and stays till next track is played. I never had this with any DigiHat- I first recognized this phenomenon with the ADI2 dac's DC Protection.

Do you have an explanation for this behaviour? I'm really afraid to damage expensive headphones or speakers.

Is there any fix without the MonitorPi option?

Greetingz, Robert

Thanks Ian!

Then only the very serious question of the DC-problem- transmitted within the digital signal at stopping tracks is unsolved.

This amount of DC occures when stopping a track and stays till next track is played. I never had this with any DigiHat- I first recognized this phenomenon with the ADI2 dac's DC Protection.

Do you have an explanation for this behaviour? I'm really afraid to damage expensive headphones or speakers.

Is there any fix without the MonitorPi option?

Greetingz, Robert

Hi Robert,

It seems that your DAC outputs a DC offset if the S/PDIF clock is stopped. But FifoPi Q7 has a solution for you if that's the case.
You and just enable the new continuous clock function, I believe the problem will be fixed.
To enable the continuous clock function setting, you will need a MonitorPi. But if you want, you can remove it after the setup.

Ian