Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

@JanDH

I could be the one who did the most listening tests to different clock oscillators besides Doede. Based on my own experiences of the listening tests, I've found that the close-in phase nose, the phase noise floor and the phase noise in between (Leeson’s equation applied) are all significant to the sound quality. An oscillator can not achieve a higher grade sound quality if it doesn’t have good close-in phase noise even though its noise floor is great. On the other hand, a good close-in phase noise oscillator can also sound a bit fat, less sound stage any dynamic if the noise floor or the phase noise in between are not great.

Ian

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, i just recieved my TransportPi Digi today, really pleased with the difference it made over USB, the accusilicon clock improved things further a bit but not to the degree the transport pi digi did

tho this is just my first expression, nothing is burned in yet and i use toslink instead of coax

a few questions:
1. Can i improve things further with the IsolatorPi ?... some people dont like it but if the transportpi digi is reclocking the signal and the rpi is completely galvanicly isolated shouldnt this mean that output can just improve instead of degrade?
2. As i switched to the Accusilicon clock i noticed the socket feels kinda lose, even if its just the first swap by myself, should i worry aboout this? are the legs from the accusilicon clock thinner?
3. are there any measurements done ? specially i would like to know how toslink compares to coax, specially jitter-wise since its the biggest problem with toslink
4. i had now 2-3 times a slight pop on the left speaker if switching songs, is this a common problem with the transportpi digi?

Last edited:
Unless you don't have FIFOPI Q3 or Q7, you don't need IsolatorPi, because it is already integrated in Q3 or Q7. In addition, in the early FIFO with IsolatorPi, the sound quality has not improved significantly, maybe there is very little noise in my system.

Since all components will be connected together through the ground, the noise of all components will be transmitted to each other through the ground and interfere with each other. The real solution is to eliminate noise, not to isolate it, because it cannot be truly effectively isolated. The most effective means of eliminating noise without side effects is the grounding box that everyone does not believe in, or using an independent grounding system, the kind used by lightning rods

Reactions: 1 user
@wcwc

The first revision of FifoPi should be exactly the same as FifoPiQ3 except it has a LDO on the clean side to take 5V.
Just hope this comparison chart helps

FIFO comparisonFifoPiMaFifoPi Q3FifoPi Q7
Key featuresHigh performance good priceAdvancedFlagship
ModeMasterSYNCSYNC
Low jiter MCLK outputYesYesYes
Engine ArchitectureN/A16 Bit32 Bit
Fifo MemoryNone64Mbit64Mbit
I2S/DSD Reclocker2 stages discrete 1-bit low-noise reclockers1 stage multi-bits reclocker3 stages discrete 1-bit low-noise reclockers
Built-in IsolatorNoneYes, with integrated isolatorYes, with discrete isolators for
the best possible isolation performance
and lowest EMI leakage
Output signal qualityultra-low noise, almost perfect signal qualitySignal quality is great but still has chance
to improve by installing a ReClockPi
ultra-low noise with isolation, almost perfect
signal quality
PCM input/output384KHz768KHz768KHz
DSD input/outputDSD 128 output onlyDSD1024 input/outputDSD1024 input/output
DoP input/outputDoP Decode/pass throughDoP Decode/pass throughDoP Decode/pass through
Linux driverNeedNo NeedNo Need
XO socketsYes, upgradableYes, upgradable/swappableYes, upgradable/swappable
Work with RPiYesYesYes
Work USBNoYesYes
Work with S/PDIF or I2S over HDMINoYesYes
StationPi Pro External ControllerNo supportYesYes
MonitorPi OLED controller
over GPIO
Works with MonitorPi but no control functionWorks with MonitorPi but no control function
MonitorPi works in isolation mode
Yes, Works with MonitorPi for both
control and monitoring functions,
MonitorPi works in isolation mode
Continuous clock modeYes, PCM onlyNoYes, both PCM and DSD
Clean Side power supply 3.3V /Ultracapacitor/batteryIsolated 3.3V /Ultracapacitor/batteryIsolated 3.3V /Ultracapacitor/battery
XO frequencies support (MHz)22/24, 45/495.6/6.1,11/12,22/24,45/49,90/985.6/6.x,11/12,22/24,45/49,90/99
Delay TimeNo delayfixed 0.2s delay time for all Fs,
Keeps constant for all Fs
Programmable delay time between 0.1s - 1s,
Keeps constant for all Fs
16 to 32 bit loss converterYes, can be enable/disableYes, can be enable/disableYes, can be enable/disable
Work with SinePiYesYesYes
BitperfectBitperfectBitperfectBitperfect
Size and dimensionSame and compatibleSame and compatibleSame and compatible
PriceLowerHigherEven higher

Ian

Reactions: 1 users
have a problem.

have an ian canada isolator II with a FIFO Ma 1.5 on top.
as dac a Balanced DAC Board 2x PCM1794A I2S 24bit 192kHz.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-...ard-2x-pcm1794a-i2s-24bit-192khz-p-16527.html

the problem is that with volumio only sound comes out if i set audio resampling to 192 Khz.
with spotify plugin hardly any sound comes out.

a philips tda 1543 dac for this and that worked well.

Do I have something wrong, am I missing something or is it related to the software.

have the settings and voltages according to the manual.

I also bought other clocks right away.
what strikes me as soon as spotify starts playing, the recclocker switches to another clock and almost no sound comes out, not even the old clocks.
spotify is the biggest problem for me then.

Last edited:
Unless you don't have FIFOPI Q3 or Q7, you don't need IsolatorPi, because it is already integrated in Q3 or Q7. In addition, in the early FIFO with IsolatorPi, the sound quality has not improved significantly, maybe there is very little noise in my system.

Since all components will be connected together through the ground, the noise of all components will be transmitted to each other through the ground and interfere with each other. The real solution is to eliminate noise, not to isolate it, because it cannot be truly effectively isolated. The most effective means of eliminating noise without side effects is the grounding box that everyone does not believe in, or using an independent grounding system, the kind used by lightning rods

the transport pi digi doesnt have isolation as far as i know

while you are right that its best to eleimate noise at the source i think isolation can still help, specially if we talk about the transition from a computer to a ddc, no?

i will probably get the isolationPi on my next audiophonics order, it isnt too expensive and i dont think it can make the sound "worse" either it does little/nothing or it does improve the situation to some degree right?

2. As i switched to the Accusilicon clock i noticed the socket feels kinda lose, even if its just the first swap by myself, should i worry aboout this? are the legs from the accusilicon clock thinner?
3. are there any measurements done ? specially i would like to know how toslink compares to coax, specially jitter-wise since its the biggest problem with toslink
4. i had now 2-3 times a slight pop on the left speaker if switching songs, is this a common problem with the transportpi digi?
posting these again since nobody addressed them, specially 4. i would like to elimate if this is possible

the pop i hear is always on the left channel, but it doesnt happen consistently, maybe every 30-60minues once

I'm still in read-only reverse diyaudio culture mode so I'm off my game and not in sync.

But I noticed GB2023 just now, so I logged-in.

For soldering station, I recommend one with enough high temp because Ian makes solid quality products that sometimes they are double-layered for quality purposes. Thus, you will need high temps to do right. I'm Ersa, but I'm a simp. Other diy'ers may have better recommendations but Ersa for I is premium enough for my simple needs. But if you plan to be hardcore, I'm sure there are Industrial Strength options.

I also use exclusively Mundorf Silver/Gold solder and Neotech Solid Core Cooper/Silver wiring to keep consistent with all my other non-Ian Audio gear.

I'm not a half measures type, but only full measures so YMMV.

I'm hoping to wrap up on my first UcPure go around next weekend.

One clock i tried with very good result and very low phase noise,and drop in replacement. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...dfa33090f41cbb78fffb26c2a240d&ck=in_edm_other
1686946702211.png

Reactions: 1 users
Last edited: