B1 Buffer Preamp

I recently built an M2 from Teabag's boards. Then I tried 3 preamps with the M2: a B1 buffer, AKSA Lender pre and H2 (V2) set for minimal distortion. The verdict is that the H2 sounds better as a preamp in my system. I just thought that members might want to know this.

Reactions: 1 user
Idk why anyone wanting to build a B1 buffer wouldn't just buy the board and JFETs from Pass Labs directly for $51.60 and be done with it.
I happened to have bought a B1 buffer board directly from PassDIY earlier this year. I think the issue for me was whether I could find a buffer board without the input switching and pot as I am going to be using separate input switch and a Glassworks Attenuator. Could not find it, so I am using the PassDIY board and connecting directly to the active circuitry. A simple buffer board would also be handy to drive the Glassworks tilt control. As it is, for a different application I am trying to figure out the best staging of pot, preamp (possibly BOZ - I still have an unused PCB from Audio Amateur), tilt control, and H2 Generator in a manner that ensures I do not drive the H2 to more than a volt.

I need some advice, please. I want to remove the pots from the B1 V0 circuit since I don't use or need attenuation. Can it be done like shown in the modified schematic below? Do need to install a 25K resistor in the place of the pot? IOW, does the circuit need the 25K resistance?

I'm currently using cheap "Alpha" pots, one for each channel. Will I gain anything by removing the pots?

Attachments

• B1_Schematic - Mod.jpg
    B1_Schematic - Mod.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 218
Good Morning everybody.

I'm testing the B1 in a balanced configuration using a signal transformer to covert unbalanced input to balanced.

It works pretty good and i'm quite satisfied .

Do you know guys the output impedance of the B1 ? Am i wrong or is close to 50 ohm?

The Class D amplifier i'm using is having a 10k input impedance.

Many thanks in advance..!!

Maurizio

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Guys, can someone sanity check me please? I'll be ordering this PS for a vanilla B1. Just want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/mean-well-usa-inc/GSM90B19-P1M/7703588
Uh, why so big? A B1 "typically draws fewer than 0.02A", the one you linked to is a 4.5A laptop monster. I use the same wall wart that came with my B1 Korg NuTube kit from the store. It's a Triad WS2U240-0500, rated for 24V 0.5A, and it's probably overkill.