B1 w/ jensens

I saw this in the swap meet earlier...scratched my head and wondered “Is it real or an eBay copy?”

Pa and Zen do have the bestest ideas.

Zen convinced me to add some Jensen iron to my Hypnotize DCB1 for some 6dB of gain I needed to help get my analog front end to sing. I call it my “Iron-Hippo”.

It does a wonderful job making me too lazy to build the Iron Pumpkin and Turtle I bought myself for Xmas. So many Greedy Boy projects and so little time!

@chromenuts: That is one Very Snazzy Build! I am currently having difficulty with my mezmerize B1 diving my Dee-Lite when I use my turntable as an input. Can you share with me how you integrated the Jensen''s into the Mezmerize?

Jeffrey

Joined 2004
Paid Member
@Jeffreyjuice, see the 'What's wrong with the KISS' thread. I just stuck the transformer on the output but I think you are supposed to bypass the 220R resistors just before the output as the extra output impedence isn't needed/wanted with the autoformer (or I could be completely wrong about that). I didn't bypass anything but also haven't done any critical listening. I was just happy that it worked!

Posts 481 or 526

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/293169-whats-wrong-kiss-boy-11.html#post5729314

681912d1526844125-whats-wrong-kiss-boy-cmoq-4-gain-6db-jpg

681913d1526844125-whats-wrong-kiss-boy-cmoq-4-gain-12db-jpg

742798d1552575480-whats-wrong-kiss-boy-61a26473-a359-4512-a259-18856cb5034e-jpeg

Last edited:
@Jeffreyjuice, see the 'What's wrong with the KISS' thread. I just stuck the transformer on the output but I think you are supposed to bypass the 220R resistors just before the output as the extra output impedence isn't needed/wanted with the autoformer (or I could be completely wrong about that). I didn't bypass anything but also haven't done any critical listening. I was just happy that it worked!

Posts 481 or 526

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/293169-whats-wrong-kiss-boy-11.html#post5729314

Thanks Twitchie!
I re-watched the 2017 burning amp video and thought it can't be that simple. So thank you for confirming it is quite simple. And thanks for the lead on which post to read! Did you use cinemag's in your B1? And us your B1 a mezmerize version?
Jeffrey

Joined 2008
Paid Member
@Jeffreyjuice

Thanks for the kind words. I am completely reliant on the guidance of others when it comes to making modifications to circuits. I just like to build pretty things and listen to them.

I think you have all the info you need to pursue adding some gain with iron to your Mez DCB1.

Zen posted a picture of how to exactly wire up the Jensens in the KISS thread (below).

I pulled my 220 Ohm TX2575 Z foil output resistors at Zen’s suggestion.

The only other thing I did was integrate a safety ground on the same perf board that Salas helped me with. I had some hum issues with certain equipment combinations previously and this appears to have fixed the problem.

The change gave me exactly what I needed to finally experience MC carts properly through my system.

Conversely...now I am having issues with too much gain regarding my experimentation with a new digital front end. I am building a new DAC that I will try using with only a passive IV resistor on its output to see how things work. I may have to go back and re-examine the gain of my phono/head amp combination.

Best of luck on your endeavors!

Attachments

• 16DAF3DF-7DBC-4C6B-B03E-153CAEF11900.jpeg
    16DAF3DF-7DBC-4C6B-B03E-153CAEF11900.jpeg
    20.1 KB · Views: 190
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Has the b1 with transformer ever been released to the public? Or stayed at prototype level? Didn't matched the expected performance? Is the transformer core material the same as M2 or F6?

It stayed at prototype level. Perfectly fine piece - you might be surprised
to know many things go on the shelf, although this one sits in the sound room.

:snail:

I am the guy who bought this B1 preamp. Little did i know that it might have a history. After pondering its origins and searching the net, I came upon this thread. So, I offer what I know to the conversation.
I was looking for something with some gain to substitute for my B1 (sn 3181). It arrived from Korea in a box just like that used for my B1 and B4 crossover. Handwritten on the box is "B1 #333) along with some shipper history. Before Korea it was in Delaware. and prior to that in Minn. No names.
The preamp itself looks very similar to my production B1. Similar build inside as you can see from the ebay posting. No First Watt script on the face plate and no serial number anywhere. It is powered by a hardwired 24VDC ELPAC. Sounds fine, only one small oddity. The two channels seem to have slightly different gain. When the left knob is at eight o'clock, the right side needs to be at nine to have balance.
So that is my story. Perhaps it will help solve this minor mystery. If it is the prototype, fine. If a DIY, nice job!

Nice to see it coming back to California. You could send it to meet its maker (NP) along with a $600 check for a tuneup. :D