B1 with Korg Triode

I am currently building this pre-amp. I've reached the PSU testing step and have run into some issues: 1) I am reading 8.86 V across the diode; 2) the LED power indicator does not illuminate. Is my voltage reading within spec? What could be the issue with the LED?

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 21
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 22
Joined 2012
Paid Member
8.86V is within the specification for the 9.1V zener diode.

The LED polarity may be incorrect as rikiheck suggested, or it may be damaged, or it may not be getting voltage. To check for voltage, place the meter probes on the LED leads and measure DC voltage. If DC voltage is there, then remove LED and reverse the leads. You can check by holding the leads to the switch terminals. If it does not light up then it is probably damaged.

Reactions: 1 users
While everything is "possible" - I modified mine to have an other output to drive without problem 600Ohm headphones - I would say generaly speaking B1K is not made for driving HP directly.

Key words are output impedance vs HP impedance and also low cut frequency (bass cut off) in what becomes an output RC filter (that's easier to address, just a cap to adjust / capacity to increase).

It could work with some mods with 300R HP, not sure how it would with 38R ones (well,you would still get "tones" out of it LOL).

In every case you need to know exactly what you are doing... well, I guess if you would, you wouldn't have asked probably.

Attached is the HP output modification I did- from there on you need to build yourself your own modifications if you still wish to carry on.

Good luck!

Claude

Attachments

• Sortie casque.JPG
    Sortie casque.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Note...
From memory, I went from 30uF to 100uF or 150uF because that's what I had on hand re output caps, and while I carried a short functional test, to my amazement the B1K drove my test HP including with some bass (Koss with no real bass though, their impedance is something around 50R I believe, they are quite efficient though (require not much power). Remains it is defo a low impedance load for B1K...

It is all down to what you want and use, it can work in some circumstances (it does for my 2 HP to my amazement), but again, B1K isn't a HP amp per se.

I hope this helped

Claude

Reactions: 1 user
I finished, and it sounds great! I do have one issue: the volume knob is reversed - no sound is all the way to the right, loudest is all the way to the left. As far as I can tell, I have everything wired correctly. What could be the issue?

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 32