BA-3 As Preamp

calc for same input impedance as BA3 is having

So, if I put my L-pad network on one channel in front of the Ba-3 then it would want to match a 47K impedance, right?

Here's what I've come up with. Is it correct?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 2.52.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 2.52.12 PM.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 676
Try using different lenght of speaker cables, that will probably do the job.

At the moment I have 3 m in the left side, and 5 m in the right, that shifts the vocals to the left.

Best regards
Arthur.

I need some advice.

Now that the BA-3 FE is done I've taken more notice of the acoustics in my room. The room has a sloped ceiling from the left to right. Probably drops from 20feet to 10 feet.

This is causing the center "image" on vocals to appear a foot or two to the right of the center of the speakers. Its also causing bass to appear "uncentered". It's not the amp or preamp, I've swapped cables and speakers and the effect is constant. I have also used a SPL meter right up on each speaker and it appears pretty well matched. It is the room. I've always noticed it, it's just the BA-3 FE is really imaging stronger and making this problem more pronounced.

Other than adding a balance control what can I do? I've adjusted speaker positioning but bringing one speaker closer looks strange (it's my living room) and brings about some other weird acoustics.

Can I add a resistor to the input or output on the B-3 to pad one channel a decibel or two? Anyone have any ideas for that? I'd rather not use a pot if possible.

I am amazed at how the room is influencing channel balance.

I have long speaker cables of uneven length. About 20 feet and 25 feet. I swapped them, doesn't make a difference. I also cranked up the preamp/amp all the way w/no source connected (mild hiss), when tested with a voltmeter AC levels were the same on both channels.

I swapped speakers. Same imbalance to same side.

Finally, I built a Lpad network land intalled it in one channel of the preamp. 2 resistors on the preamp rca out. It's working to even out the imbalance.

My room is odd (see attached). It's funny, as my system gets better I really am noticing the influence the room is having. The "sweet spot" is really small which makes any imbalance left or right really noticeable. Before I padded one preamp channel the imbalance was about 3 feet from center. The speakers are 10 feet apart. That is a lot of room influence.

Attachments

• CAM00076 copy.jpg
    CAM00076 copy.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 574
Just finished my BA-3 preamp. Chassis, knobs, transformers, pretty much everything recycled from previous projects.
I used Salas BIBs for voltage regulation and 47R for R13, as I did not need so much gain.
Regarding sound now, initially with P3 in mid position sounded a little harsh. Used Arta to adjust it and got to 0.018 THD. I could get lower, but left it there for the time. It' s more balanced now and I quite like the sound.

Attachments

• IMG_2351.jpg
    IMG_2351.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_2349.jpg
    IMG_2349.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 545