Babelfish XA252 / Babelfish XA252 SIT / Babelfish XA252 SET

Joined 2003
Paid Member
smd caps - hardly possible to be damaged

elco - only if LED didn't survive
Whoops, I gave wrong info about condition of led. It was removing the first one I think I killed the legs removing it. After "repair" and R27 cooked again, LED is fine. So small cap is fine? I will carefully remove and measure in gizmo, assuming it measures caps.

Desolder station on porch this morning! Hope I don't get carried away? Main reason I won't let myself buy a sawsall....

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Odd. So far, T6 good, T7 good, led good and C6 cap good....on tester gadget. I am still removing the resistors, but other than R24 everything looks fine. Did I kill an output?

What test next, or just reassemble and go again?
Here's pic of board with R21, R22, R24 T6, T7, C6, LED removed. Will remove other resistors....

Attachments

• IMG_20240612_200309046_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240612_200309046_HDR.jpg
    614.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20240612_200340837_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240612_200340837_HDR.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 30
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
outputs are hardly killed, considering that there is 10A overcurrent protection

though you can remove output mosfets from pcb and try without them;

pucks you can test with famous multigizmo tester (which you have as far as I remmeber)

for said test, you need to establish proper DC NFB path for servo action, simply shorting zeners between output gates - ZD3 and ZD4

then you'll have proper DC offset at output to check and sine at output, even if without any power

enough to check with scope (?) or at least Vac meter, but strictly without load

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Multimeters, but no scope. Not sure what is meant by "shorting zeners between output gates ZD3 and ZD4" "to establish proper DC NFB path for servo action," sorry, I'm a bit thick here....

I thought I would need to remove Zeners and put in tester, but if they can be measured in circuit, I would appreciate the schooling on exactly how done.

Is this basically what you had other member remove board from mosfets, short to complete circuit and so forth?

If so, I think I know what to do, maybe! 🧐

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
temporary put wire shorts in place of said zeners

or simply put wire- shorts in between gates and sources, in place of removed pucks

necessary for function of NFB in amp
I think I see, the shorting between g and s where pucks normally are. Not g and s of zener, obviously!

I am going to replace parts, check in again with progress then short the Gs to Ss and try with measurements and check in.

At work now, once I get home. Hopefully that will uncover what is wrong, after I post measurement results...

Joined 2003
Paid Member
All those are dealt with. Still puzzled that all removed parts test good. Makes me feel like something missed.

So, once parts back in and g to s shorts in place, will power up off the mosfets, and duplicate measurements from cwlo's tests.

I'm likely missing a lot, but gleen nothing from poking dead one with knowledge on hand! Will be measuring it once stuffed and g to s shorted.