Babelfish XA252 / Babelfish XA252 SIT / Babelfish XA252 SET

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
removing output pucks is part of dilemma solving process

in one moment you started asking yourself - is there a possibility that pucks are damaged?..... and way of solving that question is to remove them and test, where even simple Chinese gizmo tester will do the job

and while there, why not taking opportunity to test entire circuit without them, if nothing else than to be relaxed, knowing that in case of any ookup or mishap, there will be no welding of wires or fireworks ...... at least no big ones

I believe I already posted this ........ some specific measurement points and their values

Attachments

• Babelfish XA252 (straight MOS) FE only TESTING.png
    Babelfish XA252 (straight MOS) FE only TESTING.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 71
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes you did. I remember R19 someone commented about the 3 to 4 volts. Also I keep re reading cwlo's testing results.
I assumed these pucks were bullet proof for these purposes....but fact same apparent damage both channels....one channel fixed one not. All removed parts test fine. Can only assume (with little I know) that something else is dead that survived in the other channel.

Mosfet less measurements should find some anomaly for hopefully final de poofing

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Parts arrived. I was going to solder wire to short G to S, but was afraid if I did it on the pad I might not get all the solder off, making a non smooth surface for mosfet seating against PCB.

Looking at schematic, will this alternative connection work? This is not soldered yet....

Attachments

• IMG_20240618_151438814.jpg
    IMG_20240618_151438814.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 45
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Got started, then stopped. Board in question about to solder up power supply and couple of questions spring to mind. First, it's liable to short against things in this location, and it will be difficult to get to all points needing measured. I don't own a "lab power supply" and of course will be using one in chassis!

Since mosfets not in circuit, is it acceptable to have board outside of chassis on extension wires soldered to Pos, neg and ground from power supply to board?

This makes the uneducated assumption that without mosfets in circuit, not so much amperage involved, or is this incorrect?

If correct ( even blind squirrel finds nut once in a while) my plan was short as practicable extension wires in 14 gauge, only for this test.

I don't see much difference in this arrangement and if board was in same position using some lab power supply. I basically don't know how much juice is in circuit without mosfets, I assume not much?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have two different types of BD 139 and BD 140. One type is like came with kit, with metal backs. I assume this is why mica required.
One type of BD 139 and BD 140 do not have metal back. Would this type work without mica? Just wondering. Wonderiong even more why R24 smokes without mosfets hooked up. What to test next, Im out of tricks.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have Q1 and Q2 removed and waiting further info. The desoldering station was worth price of admission, which was cheap. Instead of a twisted leg mess
that sometimes occurs with normal braid and solder/pult contraptions. Here, removed Q1 and Q2 together in one piece. Looks like not even installed yet!

Ready when you have the numbers, Zenmod what is next?

Attachments

• IMG_20240623_074057663.jpg
    IMG_20240623_074057663.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 34
Joined 2003
Paid Member
will post edited schematic of testing just FE sans BD follower; again, trick is to establish NFB path, so circuit have all conditions to be stable

plastic case BD is OK (and no mica needed), though I wouldn't mix plastic with metal in pair, due to diff. TempCo
Waiting for info and have time finally to attempt repair! As your time allows, no hurry!

Russellc