Best sounded DVD Player (used) only for Video DVDs with longest life time wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the same problem with the DSL-710A drive in my Primare V20 Dvd player. I understand the laser replacement option but as this appears to be a straight IDE DVD ROM drive I was wondering if it was possible to replace the complete drive unit ? If so what are the best candidates and are there any pitfalls to watch out for ? Thanks.

What's special about Zoran processors

From roughly 2003-2009, mods of CD/DVD players with Zoran Vaddis chips were popular in DIY. Google "Toshiba CD/DVD player mods" for more info -- lotsa legacy info still online.

Zoran has since (2011) merged with another company; even in its heyday, Zoran was notorious for not distributing detailed info about its products (their chip PDFs are a joke).

Still, Zoran-based players sounded very good, out of the box (even Arcam used them); but, especially, when very SIMPLY modded (e.g., Vinnie mod ,etc.)

Here's the unmodded audio section of a Toshiba CD/DVD player, just after Zoran chip (from Toshiba Service manual)...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

... so, you good DIY folks tell me: anything special about that output topology? Or was is it, indeed, the "superior" Zoran followed by a TYPICAL output?
(Often, just replacing the stock opamp, removing the muting trans., and upgrading /removing the output electro caps) would be all you needed to do...)

Note, some Toshiba CD/DVD players with Zoran had very different audio topology: the Zoran fed an EXTERNAL DAC (e.g., BB/PCM1751).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.