Best sounded DVD Player (used) only for Video DVDs with longest life time wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think it's :up:

Zoran Vaddis 888S processor with built-in per pixel motion adaptive progressive scan engine
ABT1010 Advanced 10bit video scaler (supporting 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 768p to HDMI out)
ABT102 Broadcast quality de-interlacer
Dolby Digital, DTS, CD, plus stereo and multi-channel DVD-Audio and SACD playback
32-bit Zoran audio DSP for optimum fidelity
Top of the line 24-bit 192kHz Wolfson WM8740 DACs for all 6 audio channels
Ultra-low jitter audio clock circuitry
State of the art CD replay from a DVD player, including HDCD decoding

Last edited:
Philips DVP-5990

Its very cheap
It sounds fine with 5.1 and DTS
Custom Firmware available out there
Plays DIVX/XVID (AC3 5.1/DTS)
It has USB - Store all owned DVD's on external drive(Internal if your skilled)
Small & Lightweight
HDMI

It has worked flawless for me for about 3 years. It might not be considered high end but for $50 or under this thing blew me away!

For all the op-amp swappers...If you are using a digital pass through what does it matter?

I put all my DVD's on the external drive in high quality DIVX format. I can watch any that I want with a touch of a button. No scratches no digging for disks. It works quite well at least until the external drive dies.

Last edited:
Please let me jump on the wagon.
What is/are the DVD player/s with the best sound quality and with at least decent video quality?
I don't mind much the reliability of the laser, or the drive unit, since I'm willing to replace them every now and then.
Then DVD963SA (AD1955 DAC in use) from Philips is a good choice. I hate this model because of it's low reliability. Often selected for tweacking.
PHILIPS DVD-963SA SM Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics
Philips DVD963SA
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/19911-upgrading-philips-dvd-963-sa.html
For my choice the internal DAC/5.1/7.1 home cinema AV processor must not be inside resp. must not be of high quality. If there is inside top quality DAC/AV processor - this part forces mainly the price class.
Only imortant for me is the MPEG video processing (highest possible quality) so as the reliability of the optical pickup and the transport.
Because internal DAC/AV processors in all dvd player models I know is not suited for an external use (i. e. external sources such as satellite receiver), one is forced to use this part still as a separate device. Thus high quality internal DAC/AV processing is nonsense.

Last edited:
That generic Mediatek MT1389FE chip is not that great. Cheap and wildy used, yes.
The integrated DAC's inside of it are junk. Video output is just plain average. Decoding of SACD is done via PCM conversion.
And yes, link any other player with a DSP (listed above), it does buffering and that eliminates the jitter from optical disc. Remains just the internal jitter.

Last edited:
Denon DVD-9000

I am not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but look at

Denon DVD-9000, it is hailed as the best progressive scan player ever made.... and yes I have one :) .... I played one DVD (mainly got it for audio and the use of low jitter and the PCM1704 DAC chips @ $40 each... 8 of them all together) and connected via RGB cables.... I must say I was impressed..... black was black I tell you. It is a model of 2002 and it is built like a TANK at 40LB and inside it is beautiful.

It sounds amazing! HDCD, CD, DVD-A in 5.1 support

I have the service manual for it with full schematics.

reviews:

.hometheaterhifil

.enjoythemusic

epinions

denon-dvd-9000-dvd-player-front-large.jpg

denon-dvd-9000-dvd-player-guts.jpg

you can find the manual and product sheet here.

look for A/V Components ---> DVD Players ---->DVD-9000

That generic Mediatek MT1389FE chip is not that great. Cheap and wildy used, yes.
The integrated DAC's inside of it are junk. Video output is just plain average. Decoding of SACD is done via PCM conversion.
And yes, link any other player with a DSP (listed above), it does buffering and that eliminates the jitter from optical disc. Remains just the internal jitter.
In addition to the drive the MPEG decoder chip is for me very important (internal DAC/5.1 AV processor isn't of interest for me, because this device exist as outdoor part).
The MT1389 is one of the most used decoder. Which types here are to prefer (are the first choice) ?
Perhaps the decoder about
http://www.esstech.com/index.php?p=products_DVD
Some user's claim, Sony's Playstation versions 2 and 3 uses the best MPEG decoder solution (no single chip solution).
Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing here about the pros and cons.

I am not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but look at

Denon DVD-9000, it is hailed as the best progressive scan player ever made.... and yes I have one :) .... I played one DVD (mainly got it for audio and the use of low jitter and the PCM1704 DAC chips @ $40 each... 8 of them all together) and connected via RGB cables.... I must say I was impressed..... black was black I tell you. It is a model of 2002 and it is built like a TANK at 40LB and inside it is beautiful.

It sounds amazing! HDCD, CD, DVD-A in 5.1 support

I have the service manual for it with full schematics.

reviews:

.hometheaterhifil

.enjoythemusic

epinions

you can find the manual and product sheet here.

look for A/V Components ---> DVD Players ---->DVD-9000
A good choice for HDCD/CD/DVD-Audio - thank you.
Unfortunately, the internal DAC/5.1 AV processor is not to be used for external devices with digital out such as satellie receivers.
This is a very great disadvantage.
Which MPEG decoder is here in use?

Last edited:
The order of MPEG decoders would be Zoran, ESS, Mediatek.
But for the best video quality you need something better - like the old Faroudja, Anchor Bay, Realta - all of them discussed at begining of this thread.
Thank you for this advice.
"DCDi™" (trademark of Faroodja, a division of Genesis Microchip Inc.)
http://www.gnss.com/tch_dcdi_overview.phtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCDi
Realta Reon VX-50 HQV (obviously exclusively designed for DENON)
http://www.head-fi.org/products/den...-player-with-realta-reon-vx-50-hqv-processing
Anchor Bay videoprocessor
http://www.hy-line.de/firmengruppe/hy-line-computer-components/hersteller/anchor-bay/

I am a bit confused. The processor from
Silicon Optix, REALTA T2 (HQV = Hollywood Quality Video Technology)
is both inside by projectors (e. g. Mitsubishi's HC5000) and DVD Players (e. g. DVD-3930 from Denon)
Mitsubishi HC5000 review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Projectors
XXL-Info: Denons neue Referenz-AV-Serie AVP-A1HD/POA-A1HD/AVC-A1HD* (18.01.2008)
HQV - Hollywood Quality Video
This I don't understand. How many processors are in use by the combination of the DVD3930 and the HC5000?
If only one is in the signal pad, where is the best place of such processor? Inside of the source (DVD Player) or inside of the television/projector?

perhaps also of interest: Reon-VX vs. Realta chip?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=692309
commonly discuss about video processing
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Last edited:
I am a bit confused. The processor from
Silicon Optix, REALTA T2 (HQV = Hollywood Quality Video Technology)
is both inside by projectors (e. g. Mitsubishi's HC5000) and DVD Players (e. g. DVD-3930 from Denon)If only one is in the signal pad, where is the best place of such processor? Inside of the source (DVD Player) or inside of the television/projector?

Well, I tend to belive that the proper place is inside the DVD player. Because there it can apply the proper cadence detection for 3:2 or 2:2 pull down and because the processing is all in digital domain (no DAC/ADC conversions like in analog hook up).

Also, if the processor is external, and connection to player is digital (DVI or HDMI), you need to be sure that the DVD player don't apply some cheap/bad upscalling before leaving the player - that will degrade the digital signal quality before processing. What is lost, cannot be recovered. Players that can output untouched 480i/p, via the digital out, are rare.

Same goes for audio (internal vs external) - digital connection via SPDIF is prone to jitter errors. The internal DAC is connected via i2s, that is a better way to connect digital audio.
You can use an analog connection to your digital receiver for DVD and digital for the rest of your equipments - better receivers have a "direct" 5.1 analog input. The "stereo" inputs are not that great because they go thru ADC/DAC conversions inside the receiver.
PS: My Denon player uses DLIII digital audio connection to receiver - that connection has 3 SPDIF channels and 1 return channel (for syncronization).

Last edited:
Well, I tend to belive that the proper place is inside the DVD player. Because there it can apply the proper cadence detection for 3:2 or 2:2 pull down and because the processing is all in digital domain (no DAC/ADC conversions like in analog hook up).

Also, if the processor is external, and connection to player is digital (DVI or HDMI), you need to be sure that the DVD player don't apply some cheap/bad upscalling before leaving the player - that will degrade the digital signal quality before processing. What is lost, cannot be recovered. Players that can output untouched 480i/p, via the digital out, are rare.

Same goes for audio (internal vs external) - digital connection via SPDIF is prone to jitter errors. The internal DAC is connected via i2s, that is a better way to connect digital audio.
You can use an analog connection to your digital receiver for DVD and digital for the rest of your equipments - better receivers have a "direct" 5.1 analog input. The "stereo" inputs are not that great because they go thru ADC/DAC conversions inside the receiver.
PS: My Denon player uses DLIII digital audio connection to receiver - that connection has 3 SPDIF channels and 1 return channel (for syncronization).
Thank you for the explanations. For audio most correlations I understand.
But I don't understand concerning the video signal pad, about which interfaces the processor from projector is in action and from which interfaces the processor inside the dvd player is in action. So far, I have always believed, FBAS / YUV / RGB are analoge video signals (thus processor inside of DVD players works). But what about Firewire/HDMI/DVI? Which prozessor chip is here in action?
BTW - about
list of cdp
there are a lot of inside views of several top class products.

Last edited:
Only HDMI and DVI are digital video connections. They bypass the double conversion digital-to-analog (in player) and analog-to-digital (in TV) needed in the case of analog RGB connection, so they should yeald better results. This is if you have a digital TV (LCD), of course :) HDMI adds a level of useless HDCP encyption (but some newer DVI added that too) and can carry encrypted audio too (SPDIF is not encrypted, therefore not deemed "safe").

As for the processing that takes place before the video signal exits the player - most of the players will apply some kind of processing/upconversion, so it's better to have a good processing inside of player and nothing in TV, as opposed to a crappy processing in the player (damaging the video) and then a good processing in TV/external processor) - what's damaged in the player cannot be "recovered" outside.

Some DVD players will output an "untouched" SD digital signal via DVI/HDMI, but they are rare.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.