Big coaxial with RCF CX12N251

Please ignore the directivity measurements of the previous post. Today I set up my turntable and furniture for better measurements. Audyssey mic seems to be ok without calibration, BCs sound pretty much like AINOs at spot, but stereo imaging is better and small details like acoustic guitar's string squeezes appear better. Far off spot area sound is much duller, which is the nature of big horns.

First xo version developed to 1.3, which is acoustic LR2 at 200/2000Hz. V2.0 has LR4 at 2000Hz, lower xo is same. More pics at Google album, with a video. Sad that tHypex HFD is clumsy, I haven't found a way to set v1.3 to preset 1 and v2.0 to Preset 2. Manual copying of settings is too hard task. So, fast comparison of these is difficult, but with slow switching I can't hear a difference.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hGFkqajgoVwWrzL59

v 1.3 and v2.0
Big coax v13 polar norm.png
Big coax v20 polar norm.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just for comparison, here similar 0-90deg normalized polars of some other speakers, made with VCAD based on my measurements in or outdoors.

Hover the mouse over the pic to see the speaker! AINOgradient is my design, dipole. AW-7 is coaxial with SEAS 6,5". JBL has a waveguide.

ainogneo83 vx out 40ms 112 norm 90deg (hor).png Avalanche AS1dsp v3c 10ms Hann 16 pol norm (hor).png
Infinity A20 in Hamming 30ms 16 norm 90deg (hor).png JBL LSR305 in Hamming 30ms 16 norm 90deg (hor).png

ER18DXT in Hamming 30ms 16 norm 90deg (hor).png AW-7 out Directivity (hor).png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have spent 3 freezing days making measurements with analog mic from Audyssey. It is purposed for bass region room response measurements and yes it has problems above 2kHz. I could smooth it quite a bit with wool thread!

Two hifi-friends visited and listened to Big Coaxials vs. AINOgradients and my Avalache 3-ways which are in a different room. Coaxials have lower bass level and lack response below 30Hz - penalty for using SLS-12 driver in too small box. But bass quality is really good. Treble with eg. jazz piano and violin is very natural and response irregularities that show in measurements are not heard.

After the listening session I made some PEQ adjustments and lifted lower xo to 250Hz. I also tested variations of upper xo, but returned to LR2 at 2kHz.

BC v132 spot mmm ave 500ms 13.jpg Ainog 2x4v21 spot mmm ave 500ms 13.jpg Audyssey mic wool.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users