Bigbottle Phonostage Builders thread.

Transformer arrived safely. And it fits in the little box for the transformer. Just a quick check if it the output is good enough with our 225-230VAC mains..and I'll start drilling and soldering.

Attachments

• IMG20200605151426.jpg
    IMG20200605151426.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 278
Hi Bigman. i was looking at pictures of that amplifier you already had and it had an "ATL" circuit board before the transformer. Is it necessary. where can i get one.
No, not necessary

It's a DC Blocker and I was having what I thought were problems with DC on the mains, at the time, but have long since dealt with it as it was a noisy transformer at fault

As long as your Transformer doesnt mechanically buzz, you are fine

In that boom list, some parts are marked in yellow / brown. whether it is an indication that these parts are in the signal path.how should i deal with these parts? or what is the purpose of that color enhancement. those capacitors marked in green are yet to be ordered. again certainly a stupid question, but does the value of the voltage of those capacitors matter. as long as they are above that given value. eg given value 250v Can I use those with a value of 600v. There is one good side to these questions of mine. usually i don't ask the same thing as once :)

In that boom list, some parts are marked in yellow / brown. whether it is an indication that these parts are in the signal path.how should i deal with these parts? or what is the purpose of that color enhancement. those capacitors marked in green are yet to be ordered. again certainly a stupid question, but does the value of the voltage of those capacitors matter. as long as they are above that given value. eg given value 250v Can I use those with a value of 600v. There is one good side to these questions of mine. usually i don't ask the same thing as once :)

The beige filled columns are to indicate that you need a minimum of 1% tolerance in those positions. They will be EQ related. Personally i match every component for best results.

Higher voltages are absolutely fine

In other news. Transformer enclosure pimped, locked and loaded!

Bigbottle phonostage done, fixed to the enclosure and all wired up. Now I just need to find the cover somewhere in my house.

Attachments

• IMG20200606141147.jpg
    IMG20200606141147.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG20200606141153.jpg
    IMG20200606141153.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG20200606153147.jpg
    IMG20200606153147.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
For those interested, I have attached a 1:1 scale drawing of the BB PCB based on measurements I have taken. The designer can verify these dimensions, but since the original CAD files are not released, I am fairly confident in these. The tube cutouts are for Belton VT9-PT tube holders and to sit flush with the tube holder, I will be using 10mm standoffs to mount to the case above the PCB. I have validated these dimensions on a test cutout, now to get the actual case under the CNC...

Greg

If I print that on my printer will it come out as natural (or actuel size maybe I should say) size then?

Tube sockets. Belton P-ST9-700-PC. That recommended socket has a 9 pin. + one that is apparently grounding that socket. that circuit board also takes into account that grounding. whether that grounding is important. i would like to use that recommended socket but i can't find them here in europe.

Tube sockets. Belton P-ST9-700-PC.That recommended socket has a 9 pin. + one that is apparently grounding that socket. that circuit board also takes into account that grounding. whether that grounding is important. i would like to use that recommended socket but i can't find them here in europe.
I couldn't find them in the UK either.

Maybe one of our US brethren could post some over?