Bob Cordell Interview: BJT vs. MOSFET

Re: VAS buffer

Terry Demol said:
Hi Edmond,

There are some advantages of the 1 x damper resistor with joined
Q1/2 collector arrangement, but as you say it is not always required.

The advantage is that you can run a larger damper resistor and
more current through Q1/2 without loosing voltage headroom
across those transistors.

OK, with 2 resistors you loose some headroom, but tying them to two different points, between which some (DC) voltage exists, you gain some headroom (+DRV and -DRV, for example, see post 2826 and 2827).

FWIW, I have never seen this arrangement used elsewhere and it
is a useful design tool.

cheers
Terry

Maybe because not everybody gives away his secrets, or is it because the majority of designers is so terribly conservative? :D

Cheers,
Edmond.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VAS buffer

Edmond Stuart said:

Hi Bob,

So this diamond buffer does work, not only in Sim City, but also in real life. The next step is to get rid of (the effect of) the capacitance of the Baker clamp diodes, which paves the way for a virtual distortionless front end.

BTW, I stumbled upon two different definitions of a Baker clamp on the web:
1. A diode between VAS input and VAS output.
2. A diode between VAS output and some fixed voltage.

Which one is correct? (I thought no. 1)

Cheers,
Edmond.

I always thought that it was #2, as implemented by Tom Holman, for example.

However, to get rid of the capacitance effect of the Baker clamp diode, I like the idea of what I call a flying Baker clamp. This is similar in concept to the "flying catch diodes" I used in the MOSFET power amplifiers I used in my Athena active loudspeakers. I use the term "flying" when both sides of the diode nominally have the same signal swing, so diode capacitance has little or no effect. One then can apply a Baker clamp to the signal source for the end of the diode not connected to the output of the VAS. That stops it from flying when the time for clipping occurs.

Note that the concept of flying clipping diodes can also be used in implementing soft clipping circuits ahead of the NFB amplifier.

Cheers,
Bob

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Re: Baker clamp

Edmond Stuart said:

Hi Bob,

After reading:
http://www.ieeta.pt/~alex/docs/ApplicationNotes/Rectifier Applications Handbook.pdf
and
http://www.zetex.com/3.0/appnotes/apps/an22.pdf
do you still think it's #2?
Was it Tom Holman, perhaps, who caused the confusion?

Cheers,
Edmond.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. In my electronic texts and back in switching powersupplies 101, a Baker clamp is/was a diode connected in parallel with the base-collector junction of a bipolar transistor - typically used in switching applications.
For a Darlington transistor, this diode can be a silicon device. For a non Darlington transistor, it must be a schottkey - so long as its forward voltage drop is less than Vbe-VceSat.
It is there to prevent saturation of the transistor, allowing it to switch faster.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
lumanauw said:
Isn't that a darlington (like TIP142-147) has an inherent anti-saturation mechanism because of the darlington structure?

You're right. An Si diode baker clamp would only work on a BJT driven with an emitter follower (as in either a buffered VAS in an audio amplifier or a flyback switching transistor in a SM power supply). Its been a while since I have looked at my obsolete TV power supply circuits :D

Anyway, from memory, here is how it is done on a un-buffered BJT switch with a si diode:

Attachments

• baker.gif
    baker.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 594
Re: Re: Baker clamp

G.Kleinschmidt said:
I don't know what you guys are talking about. In my electronic texts and back in switching powersupplies 101, a Baker clamp is/was a diode connected in parallel with the base-collector junction of a bipolar transistor - typically used in switching applications.
For a Darlington transistor, this diode can be a silicon device. For a non Darlington transistor, it must be a schottkey - so long as its forward voltage drop is less than Vbe-VceSat.
It is there to prevent saturation of the transistor, allowing it to switch faster.

Hi Glen,

You're perfectly right and in a perfect world, above discussion should be totally unnecessary. But the previous posts clearly demonstrate that not everybody attributes the same meaning to a Baker clamp, or even worse, doesn't recognize that this kind clamping -no matter of what application- is based on NFB.

Therefore, I think that this discussion was valuable and will prevent further confusion in the future.

Cheers,
Edmond.

Re: Re: Re: Baker clamp

Edmond Stuart said:

or even worse, doesn't recognize that this kind clamping -no matter of what application- is based on NFB.

I recognize the Baker clamp simply as a circuit technique to avoid transistor saturation.

What would be the reasoning and advantages of looking at a Baker clamp as a negative feedback loop?

For a particular implementation as Glen illustrated above, how would you define the loop gain and how would you use it to analyze the circuit behaviour?

Re: Baker clamp

Edmond Stuart said:

Hi Bob,

After reading:
http://www.ieeta.pt/~alex/docs/ApplicationNotes/Rectifier Applications Handbook.pdf
and
http://www.zetex.com/3.0/appnotes/apps/an22.pdf
do you still think it's #2?
Was it Tom Holman, perhaps, who caused the confusion?

Cheers,
Edmond.

Hi Edmond,

Thanks for pointing this out. I stand corrected. It is probably both. Tom may have been taking some liberty in the use of the term, although I think that National uses the term in the same way in describing their line of IC power amplifier drivers.

Cheers,
Bob

Miller compensation

Bob Cordell said:
Hi Edmond,

Thanks for pointing this out.

You're welcome.

I stand corrected. It is probably both. Tom may have been taking some liberty in the use of the term, although I think that National uses the term in the same way in describing their line of IC power amplifier drivers.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Now my next point of confusion: the Miller compensation.
If the Miller cap encompasses only one tranny, it's clearly Miller.
If this cap encompasses two trannies (a Darlington or so), it's still Miller.
If this cap encompasses four trannies, as in your EC amp (C4=20pF), should we still call it a Miller compensation, or just lag compensation?
But if we call it lag compensation, we create another point of confusion. According to Mike KS (you certainly remember him) it's lead compensation. You (and me) disagree on that, but he has a point: C4 sees a voltage that is (almost) exactly equal to the output voltage. If C4 was directly tied to the output, than it certainly was lead compensation.

Comments invited.

Cheers,
Edmond.

Re: Miller compensation

Edmond Stuart said:

Hi Bob,

Now my next point of confusion: the Miller compensation.
If the Miller cap encompasses only one tranny, it's clearly Miller.
If this cap encompasses two trannies (a Darlington or so), it's still Miller.
If this cap encompasses four trannies, as in your EC amp (C4=20pF), should we still call it a Miller compensation, or just lag compensation?
But if we call it lag compensation, we create another point of confusion. According to Mike KS (you certainly remember him) it's lead compensation. You (and me) disagree on that, but he has a point: C4 sees a voltage that is (almost) exactly equal to the output voltage. If C4 was directly tied to the output, than it certainly was lead compensation.

Comments invited.

Cheers,
Edmond.

You do not call it Miller or lead-lag compensation based on the number of trannies the loop encompasses.

A lead-lag compensator has a transfer fuction of

H(s)=[(s+z1)*(s+z2)]/[(s+p1)*(s+p2)]

The circuit behaviour is depending of the absolute and relative positions of the zeros and poles. To save a long discussion take a look here: http://eceserv0.ece.wisc.edu/~cobb/ECE409/Exp4.pdf

The Miller compensation, also known as 'dominant pole compensation', always introduces a dominant pole (one which masks the effects of other poles) into the open loop frequency response. The particular case of a Miller compensation encompassing two trannies (a Darlington) is from this perspective identical with the one tranny case.

Attachments

• bjt.jpg
    bjt.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 440
Now my next point of confusion: the Miller compensation. If the Miller cap encompasses only one tranny, it's clearly Miller. If this cap encompasses two trannies (a Darlington or so), it's still Miller. If this cap encompasses four trannies, as in your EC amp (C4=20pF), should we still call it a Miller compensation, or just lag compensation? But if we call it lag compensation, we create another point of confusion. According to Mike KS (you certainly remember him) it's lead compensation. You (and me) disagree on that, but he has a point: C4 sees a voltage that is (almost) exactly equal to the output voltage. If C4 was directly tied to the output, than it certainly was lead compensation.

Miller compensation is the cap, connected between input and output of inverting voltage-controlled current source

The Miller compensation, also known as 'dominant pole compensation', always introduces a dominant pole (one which masks the effects of other poles) into the open loop frequency response. The particular case of a Miller compensation encompassing two trannies (a Darlington) is from this perspective identical with the one tranny case.

miller compesation in not equal to 'dominant pole compensation'

learn by heart Solomon paper:
http://www.ee.unb.ca/Courses/EE3111/DFL/AdditionalMaterial/NSopamptutorial.pdf

dimitri said:

Miller compensation is the cap, connected between input and output of inverting voltage-controlled current source

miller compesation in not equal to 'dominant pole compensation'

learn by heart Solomon paper:
http://www.ee.unb.ca/Courses/EE3111/DFL/AdditionalMaterial/NSopamptutorial.pdf

I'm afraid there's a confusion between the "Miller effect" and "Miller compensation".

In your reference, I can't find anything beyond mentioning the Miller effect, that is, multiplying the capacitance connected across a voltage gain stage.

Quote from your reference: "We note at this point that p1, which represents the dominant pole of the amplifier, is due simply to the familiar Miller-multiplied feedback capacitance gmR2Cp combined with input node resistance, R1."

From this perspective, "Miller compensation" doesn't exist at all, there's only a frequency compensation using the Miller effect. Others (including Wikipedia and apparently E.G. Stuart) are calling the dominant pole compensation "Miller compensation".