• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
cheers,

if I do not know if my o/p is TTL 3.3V or not, is it best to assume that it isn't and connect it to the regular SPDIF I/P and then measure it to establish what it actually is ?

mike

p.s. my first source will be a brand new pioneer multi format upscaling DVD player.

mikelm said:
cheers,

if I do not know if my o/p is TTL 3.3V or not, is it best to assume that it isn't and connect it to the regular SPDIF I/P and then measure it to establish what it actually is ?

mike

p.s. my first source will be a brand new pioneer multi format upscaling DVD player.

Yes, it most likely consumer level which is .5Vp in which case you need the comparator to shift it up to TTL.

Cheers!
Russ

It's Working !

. . . . and so far so good

Many thanks Brian & Russ :)

I'll post pics soon

So far ( after five minutes ) it sounds clean, well defined and rhythmic but I have to wait to connect USB module before I can do a formal comparison with my stello DA 100 Signature ( modified ) which sounds at it's best from my PC via USB

cheers

mike

Re: Re: #41 is ALIVE!!!!

grimberg said:

I also measured about 175mA drawn by Buffalo's VD, but the heatsink on the LCDPS gets too hot to touch for more than 2 seconds. I tried swapping the two halves of the LCDPS but, once again, the half connected to VD got too hot. Am I missing something?

Jon,

how hot does yours get?

Hey Grim...

Yep, you got the answer already... Mine gets pretty warm, but not too hot to keep touching. And, that's because I have a 12V-12V transformer I found laying around. The IVY side has (ahem) a pair of wall warts, one 13.6VDC (yes, you can run DC into a bridge rectifier, you just get two diode drops) that is unregulated, and at low load runs 18V or so, the other a 20V AC wart. Both stay high enough after the bridge to give the 15V regulators their >2V headroom they need to be happy. At least at the lower current the IVY uses.

If the heat bothers you, you could go to a lower voltage transformer. If it's going in a small box, like I'm leaning toward, it might be an idea. OTOH, that chobint style open nut and bolt architecture would provide a lot of cooling.... ;)

Forgot to mention, the IVY power supply heat sinks are much cooler, due to only 3-5V drop to 15V, and only 50-60mA. That Buffalo digital supply is a thirsty beast!

Bit of a Buffalo report... work has been eating me alive. Though I did get some time listening in tonight, got to track thru "Dark Side of the Moon" :D amongst other things. Have run it on my main system... very nice.

I still haven't scoped out the comparator, or tried my other soundcard source, though with a good 96K it dosen't sound like the problem. I'm thinking more the SB 24 USB is kind of wierd at 96.

Read about and tried the DPLL switch setting... (only after I switched to my headphones) believe I can hear a difference, and like the - setting, too.

Now, if only I hadn't started playing with my speaker positioning before I got the Buffalo running... trying to find a compromise, nearer to wall position, have a kinda compressed soundstage now. I still notice an improvement when the Buffalo is driving, it would be that much better if I hadn't moved anything! :whazzat:

Will the Conterpoint be available with this offer?

Assuming all goes well with the prototype testing, it will be available at the same time.

I have had a few questions about ordering other items at the same time. I think I will keep the pre-orders and waiting list restricted to just Buffalo boards. If you want to order other items along with it, they will be a separate order, and I will combine them for shipping.

Re: Re: Re: How to use center tapped transformer

glt said:

If you do it this way, you have a "normal" bipolar supply and the series resistor and the CMC are not working, but theses elements are important for filtering the common mode noise. Save your bipolar transformer for another project and buy a new one.
I have good experience with r-cores from AnalogMetric, R26-34 has 2x9V and 2x15V.

It's Alive

My Buffalo came to life last night. Passed initial testing of SPDIF input via coaxial connection from Tosh multi-player, then went into action with Toslink input from CDPro to D1 pad. Handily beat out the performance of the Tosh internal DAC and the Monica II used for the CDPro. From AC plug to output - used a Pass & Seymour 5266X AC plug, Belden 19364 power cord (cryo treated by Locus Design), Felix done deadbug-style, Antek 0209 9v 20VA toroid for LCDPS, Antek 0215 15v 20VA toroid for LCBPS, NNNN silver in teflon for LCDPS to Buffalo, LCBPS to Ivy and Buffalo to Ivy, Belden 8450 solid core shielded twisted pair for Ivy to output plugs, Switchcraft D4F XLRs, Cardus GRFA RCAs and boxed it in a Par Metal 20-12123B. Here is a picture of it wired and ready to test.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.