• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any advance on 16.8mA pp ?

seriously - there seems to be varying info on this.

on the buffalo manual sheet it says

The differential output of the buffalo is 0.924*1.65V (3.1746 Peak)

which I really do not understand. Is that the voltage o/p ?

and can someone explain the connection between 0.924 x 1.65 V and 3.1746. I cannot see any recognizable relationship. it does not seem to be RMS V peak or peak to peak.

by now you may have guessed I cannot find the data sheet on this.

mike

MrMajestic said:

Two toroids and two power supplies. Nothing is stacked :) I'll post some photos when eveything looks organized inside.

Yeah, keeping the power supply and toroid count low seems to be the key to a clean build.

I'm planning on re-casing my Buffalo when I move to Canada, and also adding a MUX, USB receiver and maybe Counterpoint or IVY II modules. I was planning on having everything on separate power supplies just for sheets and giggles...... but it quickly starts getting insanely complicated :eek:

mikelm said:
Any advance on 16.8mA pp ?

seriously - there seems to be varying info on this.

on the buffalo manual sheet it says

The differential output of the buffalo is 0.924*1.65V (3.1746 Peak)

which I really do not understand. Is that the voltage o/p ?

and can someone explain the connection between 0.924 x 1.65 V and 3.1746. I cannot see any recognizable relationship. it does not seem to be RMS V peak or peak to peak.

by now you may have guessed I cannot find the data sheet on this.

mike

I don't know where you got "0.924*1.65", in the data sheet is
differential voltage output 3.3V pp, this means in voltage mode.
differential current output 4.224mA pp, this means current mode per channel.
When you send me your email address, I will send you the data sheet, because it is too big for an attachment in this thread.

Andre

Sabre output

OK guys, we have covered this before, but I know its a long thread so I will cover it again. :)

The analog stage of the DAC is a bunch of switched voltage sources each with a FIXED output impedance.

The DAC output is 0.924 * AVCC peak to peak.

The output has a DC bias of AVCC/2.

The output impedance in stereo configuration is given as follows:

Z = 50k / 64 / 4 = 195.3125

So assuming AVCC = 3.3V you get 16.9ma peak to peak.

The trick to optimal performance is to get the DAC to equally source and sink that current swing. To do that you need to center the input bias of the I/V stage at AVCC/2 to match the DAC output bias. The I/V stage shoudl be as low an input impedance as possible.

Cheers!
Russ

DaveM said:
So how was the stout? I mean we need to know the really important things as well.

OK a small off topic digression into brewing beer.

This stout is a tried and true recipe. Always turns out pretty constantly good. :) Only change this time was that I used a bit higher attenuating strain of yeast.

I usually get about 6% ABV with the recipe, this time it was about 6.4%.

The result was a bit drier initial taste, but there are enough Dextrins and Carmel malt that it still has plenty of sweetness at the finish. Just enough whole East Kent Goldings to let you know there hops there. The malt does most of the heavy lifting on this brew. Definitely warms you right up. :)

Most of the roasted caramel malt is of the chocolate variety with a small amount of Belgian Debittered black malt. Some 10 & 40L Carmel malt rounds out the finish. Base malt is all Maris Otter (lots of it).

14 days in the conical fermentor (64deg F) dumping trub on the 8th day.

Keg at 8lbs PSI at 45deg 7days.

Done! Cheers! :drink:

Cheers!
Russ

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Documentation

fff0 said:
Hi Russ,

I do suggest you document all the things(mods, facts, specs, faq) we have discuss on the first page of the thread or at your website, a place we all can reference at a glance.

Opinions:
1) I'd rather see Russ developing circuits and writing code (or brewing! ;)) than typing!
2) The Twisted Pear Support forum is much more condensed and serves as an effective adjunct to this thread.
3) Nobody around the web is more generous with their time than Russ & Brian - in answering questions and helping to solve problems. In that regard we might be a little spoiled. :D

Suggestion: It's easy to ask that 'somebody else do it', but this is DIY and the forum exists because of people who are willing to help others. Perhaps we should remember to post (on the TPA support forum, in this case?) any condensed data or non-subjective application information we have found helpful to our own projects.

Frank in Mpls.

MrMajestic said:

2x coax + 2x optical toslink -> 4:1 Mux - > OTTO -> Buffalo w. volumite -> IVY

How are you conveying the DSD signal from the Denon to the Buff? I'm thinking of something along the same lines. I assume that you removed the DSD/spdif switch from the board and replaced it with the panel mount switch, correct?

Very nice looking! Mine will, unfortunately, not look anywhere near that good. - Pat

tubesguy said:

How are you conveying the DSD signal from the Denon to the Buff? I'm thinking of something along the same lines. I assume that you removed the DSD/spdif switch from the board and replaced it with the panel mount switch, correct?

Very nice looking! Mine will, unfortunately, not look anywhere near that good. - Pat

It will be run using a CAT5 cable, but I'm not there yet. I'm not sure what DSD/SPDIF switch you are talking about? The one on the Buffalo board? If so, thats not the one. I have the OTTO to switch between the SPDIF mux that outputs i2s and the DSD input from the Denon.

I assume that you removed the DSD/spdif switch from the board and replaced it with the panel mount switch, correct?

This is not a good idea. The switch actually conveys data, which you would be routing around the case. Also, you would need to switch the #1 dip switch (PCM/SPDIF) and reset the DAC every time you changed the switch.

The board was really designed to be set up for one data type or the other.

nycavsr2000 said:
Brian or Russ,

Will there be an option to use other analog output stages instead of the IVY II in the new Buffalo 32 DAC?

Thanks,
Anand.

There will be a second version (coming out after the 32S) that is just the core DAC. You will be able to access and utilize the eight channels (or combine them) and add your own output stage (no built in I/V).

Front Panel "Knobs"

Mr. Majestic, if I may ask, where did you get the "knobs" for your front panel? Though I'd like a slightly different overall look, I love that the knobs integrate so nicely with your overall design of the front panel. Do you, or anyone else, know of a source of a more upscale look than the typical round, black plastic knob?
It appears that Front Panel Express can do almost anything with a front panel (thanks for the heads up on that), but I missed any note of knobs. Any suggestions in finding sources of knobs is appreciated.

Larry

Re: Front Panel "Knobs"

Muser said:
Mr. Majestic, if I may ask, where did you get the "knobs" for your front panel? Though I'd like a slightly different overall look, I love that the knobs integrate so nicely with your overall design of the front panel. Do you, or anyone else, know of a source of a more upscale look than the typical round, black plastic knob?
It appears that Front Panel Express can do almost anything with a front panel (thanks for the heads up on that), but I missed any note of knobs. Any suggestions in finding sources of knobs is appreciated.

Larry

I got them from Modushop.biz, same place as the case. They are available in a variety of sizes and come in black or silver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.