building boxes for speakers

I'm working on a sound installation that will use eight of those speakers that will be placed on a floor in a art gallery.

The speakers should be as low as possible. How can I planning the wooden box? is there any rules for that?

I'm using this 4mm plywood for laser cutter for building the boxes.
I care about the esthetic of the speakers (meaning speakers must be low as possible to the floor) but the sound quality is also consideration.

Any tips?

speakers must be as low as possible to the floor

For the record, the Visaton FRS 8M is a 3.3" diameter full range driver suitable for use in "small bass reflex cabinets".

Partial technical specifications are given here: https://www.visaton.de/sites/default/files/dd_product/FRS 8 M_2001.pdf

To get as "low as possible to the floor" you may like to consider floor positioned wedge shaped enclosures.

1703451398258.png

The angle would be chosen to project the sound upwards to the ears of the gallery visitors.

How can I planning the wooden box? is there any rules for that?

To calculate the optimum bass reflex cabinet volume, you would need to know the Equivalent Volume (Vas) parameter of the driver, which I do not see listed in the driver specifications to which I have linked.

What internal volume of enclosure did you invisage? We may be able to work something out using that information.

Reactions: 1 users
Ran the parameters thru the SIM, I got 2.1 liters volume "suggested" ...by tweaking the tuning, I got a slightly better result at 3.5 liters worth of enclosure, an fb of 92 hertz, and a port 47mm diameter, 138 mm long...
With a resulting -3.09 Db at 80.98 hertz.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
I was thinking of the tightness of the thingy in terms of soundproof-ness.
I guess the basket needs to be glued onto the baffle.
Edit: if you look at the cheap speaker boxes made with plastic & chipped wood, the speaker is often "sandwiched" between wood and plastic shell, offering a rigid and non resonant structure. Often, the speaker is surrounded and clamped by the plastic ring, which acts as a waveguide (same with the piezo tweeter that you find in vicinity)

Last edited:
Generally available speakers are listed at https://loudspeakerdatabase.com/. Your country may have specific brands widely available. If you plan to diy rather than hire a pro sound person, you can narrow down search based on desirable parameters including size—diameter, depth, power rating, Fs, Vas, and Q values for instance. Use WINISD or some other model—even hornresp to simulate speaker performance. Read up on thiele-Small parameters needed for simulations— https://www.sound-au.com/tsp.htm or Wikipedia.

Needed parameters for the software can be saved from the database as a text file for import to the software (I use hornresp in this way) Enclosure can be designed to accommodate speaker size and port—if used.

Last edited:
Richard Ellis has kindly supplied an appropriate internal cabinet volume for this driver (3.5 litres).

Simply adjust the cabinet dimensions to arrive at that internal volume.a

I would avoid a cube shape for best audio results.

Richard has also given the reflex port dimensions to match.

You don't have to be perfectly exact with the dimensions.

Job done, I would say!

Reactions: 1 user
Ran the parameters thru the SIM, I got 2.1 liters volume "suggested" ...by tweaking the tuning, I got a slightly better result at 3.5 liters worth of enclosure, an fb of 92 hertz, and a port 47mm diameter, 138 mm long...
With a resulting -3.09 Db at 80.98 hertz.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...
47mm diameter is the upper part were the speaker should be mounted? it seems to small..?

I saw an installation that had speaker boxes on the floor and they angled the speakers down at 45 degs. Imagine a rectangle but with a 45 deg cut at one end and then put the box down on its smallest face. The advantage is also that it gives good protection. Happy holidays.
IMG_3447.jpeg

Terrible scribble, and the floor was very reflective.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user