building boxes for speakers

The adhesive should be on the outer circumference (outer vertical edge) of the gasket ring and on all of the metal frame (green) itself.

Not on the inner circumference (blue) nor on the top (pink) surface of the gasket.

The gasket push fits into the enclosure cut-out similar to the way that a sink plug push fits into the sink waste hole.

Reactions: 1 user
btw - in the driver data sheet is written:
Screen Shot 2023-12-26 at 22.36.51.png

So I confused if to cut 72.5mm or 75mm..

In any case I should probably just try and see what's feet :)

The adhesive should be on the outer circumference (outer vertical edge) of the gasket ring and on all of the metal frame (green) itself.

Not on the inner circumference (blue) nor on the top (pink) surface of the gasket.

The gasket push fits into the enclosure cut-out similar to the way that a sink plug push fits into the sink waste hole.
So I just got the speakers and I wondered:

Is it possible to use this glue instead of the silicone one? (for the speakers and the box itself)

I wouldn't use that glue for mounting the speaker as it is permanent in its action, unlike the silicone adhesive I recommended which would allow removal of the driver at a later date should it be required.

For woodwork, we use PVA wood glue. It bonds stronger that the wood itself and it is not messy in use as any surplus can be wiped off with a damp cloth.

Reactions: 1 users
P.S. I note that JMFahey suggested using silicone adhesive/sealant to construct the box.

This is a good idea if you are using thin plywood as the silicone can be applied as a fillet to round off and strengthen the interior angle between the mating panels of the box.

Apart of the fact I won't be able to remove the driver - is there a reason not to use it in term of sound quality?

So if to understand the recommendation here:

for the box itself - to use silicone
for the driver - PVA wood glue

but in any case I could use the glue I linked for both box and driver? It is just not the best choice?

Thanks!

Fill all the volume paying attention that the damping material does not obstruct the rear cone/basket of the driver. Do not press the stuffing material, just fill the box.
If it's a vented box, apply the stuffing on the walls of the box and do not obstruct the path between vent and cone.

Reactions: 1 user