Cal's Bybee experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cal et al, for the life of me I can't believe that this thread has lasted for as long as it has (several years). I started reading this late at night as I am getting ready to order the Bybee Internal Speaker Bullet Kit Gen #2. I have an SET amp using output tubes of the 45 variety producing a wooping 1.5 wpc driving large BLH's with a single 8" full range driver each + super tweeters mounted on top of the cabinets.
I've been working on my system for a few years now, and adding an external power supply to my turntable and an external DAC have made a substantial and quantifiable difference. Since there is happy and yet happier I decided to give the Bybee bullets a try and I am ordering a set. I should be able to notice the difference (if any) or lack thereof.

I will install the Bybee's inside the cabinet right before the full range drivers and the tweeters. I plan not to pass any judgment until I have dummy played these (running them 24/7) for 10 days using another SS amp I have. After that I will report what I was able to observe (most important hear :). From personal experience and that of others in the various forums, I know that tweaks are system and user preference dependent. Thus whatever my findings would apply mainly to my system and what I like best on my sound. More to follow in 15 days.

Last edited:
Ain't 2+ years of trading insults enough?

I thought that this forum is for people that love music, and the gear we use is just the necessary medium that let us get closer to that original performance. But is just that, gear, without the music behind, these are nothing but chunks of metals, woods and plastics. I included a pic of my humble chunk.

Trading insults and trying to outpiss and outsnub one another has nothing to do with this hobby (passion, love, fixation) of ours.

I always felt that the mission of an audiophile forum is to share experiences in the hopes that others may profit from these, for the advancement of the community. Maybe I am too naïve, but I am willing to put my money where my mouth is and get the darn things and give them a spin. Only then will I be able to experience for myself if there is any magic in the product or not.

What's the worse that can happen?, that I am out a few hundred bucks? I can always return them or re-sell them so the damage would be minimal. But if they turn out to be true and bring yet more spark to my system, the amount of enjoyment and satisfaction I would get from the product over the years is priceless (to me). In summary, the potential benefits far outweigh the potential downside.

For anyone out there that may care or give a hut, I'll post my findings as I go through the latest version of the Bybee internal bullets once I get them installed.

Once I try them after their break-in period I will be able to say what Bybees did or didn't do for me, which is not to say these would do for anybody else.

PS: One of the greatest revelations I got when I turned 50 a number of years ago, was that I no longer had to keep trying to look good for no-one that gave a crap.;)

Attachments

• AN Super 8 cast frame Horns.jpg
    AN Super 8 cast frame Horns.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
She likes the fact that my interests keep me within a safety zone to some extent. The one and only time she complained about the abundance of speakers, I said "you're right honey, I should consider another hobby. I've always wanted to go skydiving, drag racing and submarine exploring."

No more complaints about speakers.
Best honey ever. :)

She didn't notice a difference with the Bybees either. I wanted her ears there because the female ears may be more sensitive?

I know how you feel bro'. I said something similar to mine a long time ago:

"every man has to have a vice: Drugs, Booze, Gambling, Woman or Audio... which one do you feel should be mine?". And it is the cheapest of all five to boot!

The level of reluctant acceptance has since gone up, but there are still some complaints (much fewer though), as audiophilia remains the "other woman" in my life. Now, enter Bybees (...or not). We shall see.

Last edited:
Not hidden, they're in my desk drawer at work (I had them here to check the purported microwave miracles using our R&S network analyzer- when that showed no magic, the goalposts moved to sub-1Hz).

No excuse for my laziness and procrastination getting them back to you...

Attachments

• desk drawer.jpg
    desk drawer.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 269
Final report on the Bybee Internal Speaker Bullets A/B test.

I completed my A/B test in my system, playing an LP record of the first two movements of Dmitri Schostakowitsch's Symphony Number 10's excellent Deutsche Gramophone Herbert Von Karajan 1982 recording with the Berlin Philharmonic orchestra. I selected this because of the contrast of the soft versus the explosive and dynamic passages.

My findings reflect what I believe to be true for my system and my ears. Initially I installed the Bybee internal bullets right at the Audio Nirvana Super 8 Cast Frames full range drivers sharing the signal with a pair of modified Realistic Super Tweeters. I had the Bybees being fed music 24/7 for two weeks solid upon installation to break these in prior to my test; that assured me that they had well over 200+ hours on them before I put them to the grind.

I took the bullets out of my speakers, and played the above material, which sounded great, dynamic, with well placed instruments, and a nice sound-stage that extended a bit beyond the speakers. Truly a credit to the ANs. I have recently installed an external PSU (power supply unit) which greatly improved the sound of my Rega P5 turntable, and the ANs showed that in spades.

Then I proceeded to re-install the Bybee Internal Bullets, taking care that these kept the same direction as when originally installed. I also was acutely aware that I wanted to remain objective, focusing only on what I was about to hear versus what I may want to hear to justify the price paid.

Here are the results: the best description that I can think of is what I read others to say from conducting similar tests (actually try and heard them), that the main difference is not what is added, but what is missing: a subtle veil that permeated the entire performance from the lowest lows to the highest highs is no longer there. I didn't know it was there to begin with, and all of the sudden, once lifted, everything became more focused and shinier, but not in a glittery way. The sound is more relaxed. Gone are the last vestiges of grain, especially on the strings and wind sections. Everything sounds more "refined" and true. The bass is more controlled and I can hear more of the impact or "initial punch" on the drums. The mid-range is sweeter, and the highs in the crescendo passages even at loud volume, retain their body an composure, instead of being somewhat strident and glittery. Each instrument section is yet more into focus and more defined its placement. To be fair, I did not notice any enlargement of the sound stage, as it remained the same. Again, I credit the ANs as well for being true to the signal received and revealing the changes.

If I had to quantify the improvement, I could not say that it is a huge improvement, as the sound I had prior the Bybees was already very good, but that extra 10 to 15% is what separates very good from great in my humble opinion. Therefore the bullets are here to stay as there is no turning back.

The Bybee bullets really did make a sonic difference in my setup. I don't know about their other products, but the ones I got really do what they say they do. The thing that impresses me the most is how far I have been able to take the ANs fullrangers since I got them over 2 years ago. Amazing what they can do given the proper input signal.

For the record, amplification credits go to the integrated 45 SEi tube amp from Jeff Korneff in Pittsburgh, PA (1.5 wpc of SET heaven) and speaker cabinets credit to John Kalinowski of Sun Prairie, WI for a beautiful BLH based on Nagaoka's design.

I regret that I don't have precise language skills adequate to the task. I know what 'tizzy' is, perhaps it is my own personal definition. I have heard it in electronics equipment for the last 50 years, but perhaps it is something that I cannot share here.
It has been MY personal experience that the Bybee devices remove 'mid-high frequency garbage' that sometimes even seems to be a reduction in information. I considered this strongly, at one point, to be the case. The point is that they do 'something', usually for the better. The closest approximation to what I am referring to would be the removal of crossover distortion from a mid fi power amp.

When 'signal' (Ionic quantum magneto-hydrodynamic field) integration with polarized lattice structures as in 'elements of the periodic table in mass aggregate form' (not quantum) is what gives rise to complex impedance, ie, field splitting, lead and lag, and the rise/existence of complex distortion, which is literally an electromagnetic analogy to optical refraction/interactives....it is only natural that people listening to audio equipment would confuse 'micro transient shifting' long term noise parameters ----with signal.

Especially since this is how the ear works, it being especially sensitive to such 'shift and slow' parameters added to transient function..

Last edited:
When such noise is removed from systems, yet noise from other components in the chain remains intact, most people will initially feel that the sound has become darker and less information is being brought forth. This is emphatically untrue.

What has gone on is.. one window has been cleaned but the other panes of glass seen through are still dirty. And the new plane (one of many in series) being clean will be initially perceived as a non-solve or a 'nothing', a null/non result.

What goes on in 99.99, er, ok, all audio equipment, 100%... is they use field splitting and distortion inducing elemental mass aggregate solids for signal conduction/channeling..is that signal obscuration and phase shift induced noise and distortion added, is the hard reality.

It is exactly as Heaviside said, they are not really conductors, these frozen polarized lattice structures, they are resistors. They are interference pattern origin points in the quantum field. Like a resistive semi-open pore foam block floating in water, with ripples around it -- that is what a conductor is.

We are using the micro-superconductivity in some components of the lattice structure, superconductivity being 2d in field orientation, and the casimir-like aspects of surface superconductivity as a channel for ionic (off balance, forced flow) electron function. We get lens like refractive effects of field splitting going on, within the 'resistor'/conductor (1/f noise, etc), and the surface considerations of the conductors being paramount. Skin effect, we call it. Mid-range and up, as John said.

100% of audiophiles are used to listening to noise and mistaking it for signal. Inescapable.

Now, some of us try very hard to lower those additive and obscuring distortions and we have refined our ear-brain combination's experiences and learning.. by doing many years of single cause analysis, or similar. with all (or some) of the above in mind.

To understand that the best we can get to, in all ways, is a slightly darker sound, a minor subtraction, with a warmer sense of complex harmonics that are presented naturally. That's it.

It never gets any better than that, and every bit of wire, connection, solder, or what not, every single inch of it brings us further and further from that ideal or origin point. If it performs any kind of electromagnetic or similar function, in the molecular sense (which it all is) it is masking signal and adding noise. It is adding noise to signal and shifting the transient function and delaying it in time.

Now, the Bybee devices purport to remove, lessen or shunt some of that added/masking noise function. Beyond that, I cannot say. One reason that I do not jump into this debate, even though I have a set of Jack's devices, is that..business wise, I have a dog in this fight.

I fully understand and support Jack's position, understanding, and what he is trying to do. It is indeed cutting edge application of cutting edge thinking in pure physics terms, that can be heard by the human ear. Indeed it is heard by all of us each and every day, if we listen to music on audio equipment.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMwc1c0HRQ

What needs to be considered is the population of the spin density functionals, at least in the Green's function sense. We understand this to be analogous to the net polarization of plasma waves, which the audiophile can think of as being qualitatively similar to the propagation of musical signals through wires. At least in a conventional sense- the real understanding comes when one can discard the linear, reductionist approach and visualize something like a confined quantum foam. The "bubbles" in this foam add an uncorrelated noise which follows the signal. We can instantly recognize when this effect, which is sometimes laughingly referred to as the Umbrella Effect, is removed, allowing the energy to flow unobstructed by these quasi-statistical fluctuations.

I can say no more, since these sorts of forces are of great interest to people who pull the strings, and they don't want the scales to fall from people's eyes. I expect that the usual scoffers will scoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.