Can you add internal bracing to commercial speaker?

closed account
Joined 2022
… classic filter with a third-order cell on the tweeter and the second on the pair of woofers

It seems the woofers are in the same line.

dave

You think it would be a good idea/experiment to line the back of the cab with some of this and take out the foam? Is wool felt or Ultratouch better at killing mid/top freq than foam?
or have the wool felt behind the foam? Is that wool felt too dense? Should it be less dense for the specific purpose?

much appreciated!

https://www.mcmaster.com/wool-felt/...alPath=wool-felt/firm-felt-sheets-and-strips/

You seem inexperienced.
Use pillow stuffing inside fabric bags, like custom pillows.
Foam disintegrates in time, and does give off vapors from foaming agents.
Time of disintegration depends on many factors.

The speakers are ready made, by professionals.
Change them if you don't like the sound.
Or use the equalizer, if you have one (software works fine), to tune the sound you like.
Your choice of music also may need more bass, mids, treble...whatever, which then depends on speaker to speaker model, and personal choice.

closed account
Joined 2022
You seem inexperienced.
Use pillow stuffing inside fabric bags, like custom pillows.
Foam disintegrates in time, and does give off vapors from foaming agents.
Time of disintegration depends on many factors.

The speakers are ready made, by professionals.
Change them if you don't like the sound.
Or use the equalizer, if you have one (software works fine), to tune the sound you like.
Your choice of music also may need more bass, mids, treble...whatever, which then depends on speaker to speaker model, and personal choice.

thank you for the observation.
yeah I’m inexperienced.
is this place only for experienced speaker builders such as yourself?

sorry for taking up your time.

im on a forum for DYI audio and you are telling me to change speakers if I want to improve on them??
seems a bit off from the spirit of DYI.

thanks for your feedback

I am a speaker user.
You seem confused with what you want, and are playing in your spare time.
The senior posters are very experienced in speaker builds.

First decide what kind of music you like, drums, vocals, flute, whatever.
Then see amp output, and placement in room, and the surfaces in the room that will reflect or absorb the sounds you want to be prominent as per your personal taste.
Then tune the speakers, different kinds of stuffing will change the sound in different ways.
And a lot of time and effort will be spent.
So I suggested the use of an equalizer, once you have a clearer idea of what you want, do it.

Here in India, Philips and Bolton stopped speaker production, only two local names are there, and are not sold everywhere.
Sonodyne sells in small volumes, and Norge seems to be confined to the Bombay area.
Prices are in multiples of local speakers.

I have to order on line, and have no way to listen, returns are not accepted on the grounds that I did not like the sound.
Just my luck if they get damaged in transit, that is another risk, as sellers try to save money on a single use item called packaging.

Speakers are a cottage industry, drivers, cabinets and so on.
The cabinets are MDF, or particle board, the crossover is a series capacitor for the tweeter...Liner? What is that? will be the response if I mention that or bracing, you are dealing with carpenters, not speaker builders for the most part.

That is part of the reason that I bought speakers of famous brands like Philips and Sony in the flea market, they are not sold as new nowadays, unless I want a 5.1 'home theater' with small aux. speakers and a big woofer.

What you have is a properly made and lined cabinet, with standard drivers and a proper crossover.
I would not play too much with those.
See the other factors I mentioned before modifying the speakers.

Last edited:
closed account
Joined 2022
It’s a great sounding speaker.
i just want to see if I can ’improve‘ upon it.

i like to tinker and it’s a great learning experienc.
i did the same thing with my Marshall tube amps. Learned what made them tick and then started modding them. Of course I came full circle so to speak and mostly left them stock in the end. But I know what makes them sound the way they do now.

both woofers in these proacs play the same frequencies
They may be fed so, but they dont play so, because of their different construction. Instead of different crossover for 2 of the same speakers, they did same crossover and used two different drivers to virtually implement a different crossover on the bottom speaker mechanically.

Looking at these in the link provided, I'm not seeing anything you can do that would be a positive sonic hit - at the level of "cement half A to half B" or "stick-on".

You could get a big how they sound change by dumping the 1" tweeter and replacing it with a current, renown FR speaker, OB mounted on a sled on top - redesigning the crossover to suit a couple octaves lower frequency than 2kHz or whatever. But that's not beginner territory.

At least it would be reversible and give you a couple things to explore in the context of DIY audio; "Woofer Assisted Wideband" sound (OB or not) and passive crossover design.