Cardas binding posts thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Normally I would just use cheap surplus binding posts for my DIY stuffs, like $4cdn each until my project is proven.
Now for my JLH for ESL I think it is proven that my newbie diy work and bad soldering skill is ok that I think I owe the JLH a nice set of binding posts. They are worthy to have good binding posts. Like beautiful ladies deserve real diamonds not glass.
Chris

Just for your info, look at this:

Attachments

• combitacjpg.jpg
    combitacjpg.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,544
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Peter Daniel said:
I'd say forget economy. I always used copper. Somehow I don't like gold plated. The other option could be silver/rhodium plated, but they are more expensive, and I don't know if extra expense is worth it.
Peter,

Gold will not oxidize and I would expect Cardas gold plating to be top quality.:$: This has to provide a better long term connection then plain copper. This is my opinion, but there is a lot of evidence in the industry to support the use of gold plated connectors. I sure there will be more maintenance involved with the bare copper binding post.

Rodd Yamashita:xmasman:

Thomas B,
I have a ton of experience with connectors like that and they just don't maintain the solid contact you need for binding posts. If I had a quarter for every problem caused by connectors needing reseating I could.... well, anyway. The amount of pins in the connector requires a little slop in both the pin insertions and their actual contact. Something you don't need. ;)

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Peter Daniel said:
Since some of you expressed interest in Cardas binding posts for yourt Aleph X amps, here we go. According to Michael Percy these are the best posts for your money. I have a local Canadian distributor for those posts and I will contact him on Monday regarding the price, but in the meantime if you feel like it, please show your interest.;)

Peter,

I am interested in the Cardas posts. If the price is good, I would be interested in a few sets. See how the quote goes. :D

--
Brian

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I thought I recalled seeing the Vampire (Sound connections) Part #BFBP - Binding Post mentioned in a previous post as the one used in the pass labs amplifiers. You can buy them online from the Vampire online store at:
http://vampirewire.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=5
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

cost = $30 for a pair

I clearly like the cardas copper ones better.

--
Brian

Here's the pic. The short posts are barely good for 1/4" panel (different washers are actually recommended to use a nut properly). The long ones are good for almost 1".

They say that RCA connection is not good, so I've been mostly using those Tiffany Chinese knock offs, that I can get for less than $3.

Recently I started using Kimber (the longer one in a pic) and I think I prefer it to Cardas (not sounwise but mechanically only). Also Sonic Frontiers were using Kimber jacks on their equipment. As to balanced connectors, you can't go wrong with Neutrik which is probably industry standard and quite cheap. Toronto area members can get it from Electrosonic.

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 3,698
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.