Castle Stirling 3 Speaker Refurb

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Please note that the Stirling 3 is not a transmission line design.

Given the vent (retricted terminus) at the bottom and woofers with a Zd at the tweeter. Take the last, the cross-section, the height, and thw driver’s T/S and the size of the vent can be determined. The variable height allows for some measure of further adjusting the mass-loading to better suit the room.

It is definitely a TL, specifically an ML-TL, the physics dicate that.

Given the lack of T/S, a removable bottom and a variety of vents, cut & try. You can listen ot you can measure.

dave

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Indeed the term TL has warped since the release of decent TL modelers.

Even as a Classic TL it is underwhelming. Not enuff terminus LP IMO.

fact.8. You can see teh expected LF lumpiness from that here:

420PMC8fig4.jpg

Not as easy to pick out in the impedance but you can see 4 of the unwanted harmonics.

420PMC8fig1.jpg

Stereophile measurements.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
An example of an end-loaded (Zd close to zero) ML-TL withj vent out the bottom.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/microtower-bipolar-ml-tl-for-chr-70-or-el70.148901/

microTowersx2.gif

The document for these has vent sizes for a range of drivers, some buiders did the removable bottom so they could try different drivers or be ready for updates — a number of people converted their EL70 Castkles to Pluvia &HD for a step up in performance. You will have to experimen with different vents for your specific drivers.

dave

The speaker has 5" bass drivers.

The recommended minimum port size for this driver size is 2" (50 mm) in diameter.

Choose a plastic pipe with an internal diameter close to 2" and cut it up into various lengths, e.g., 50 mm; 100 mm; 200 mm etc.

Cut a hole in the base plate to suit the outside diameter of the pipe to ensure a snug fit of the pipe in the base plate.

Now experiment away until you find the length of pipe that gives the most pleasing bass response.

You would experiment with just one of the speakers of course till you find the optimum.

Ahhh I see , you say minimum , what would be the maximum ? and would a larger diameter make any difference ?

As Dave has said, as the diameter goes up the length of the port goes up. So you are limited by what length of straight pipe you can fit vertically in the enclosure (unless you want to start folding the pipe using elbows).

For that reason, I say start experimenting with the minimum suitable diameter.

Larger diameter means less air turbulence, so less port noise at high volumes - but too large can result in too long a pipe.

OK , I have been recalculating and recalculating and something somewhere is wrong .
With a box volume of 0.821 ft3 , a port diameter of 2" and a tuning frequency of 45hz I am getting a port length of 1.101.3 mm ??????????
I am not asking for the answer just some guidance as to where I am going wrong