Cheap and FAST OB, Literally

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, what a master craftsman can do with his hands and tools is amazing.
1647696417359.jpeg

One driver in woofer slot chamber is mounted magnet inside to decrease chamber volume (increases bandwidth of upper reach) and helps to cancel suspension induced distortion as both drivers move in opposite directions.
1647696516631.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have a link to Nelson Pass’ paper on SLOB above. The slot loading gives a slight boost in bass efficiency and the opposed drivers cancel out force so the cabinet doesn’t vibrate as much. The opposed cone motion also helps to reduce distortion from suspension hysteresis. With a 6.5in driver I was able to go as high as 340Hz so I think 240Hz should not be a problem.

I have a link to Nelson Pass’ paper on SLOB above. The slot loading gives a slight boost in bass efficiency and the opposed drivers cancel out force so the cabinet doesn’t vibrate as much. The opposed cone motion also helps to reduce distortion from suspension hysteresis. With a 6.5in driver I was able to go as high as 340Hz so I think 240Hz should not be a problem.
Thank you!
Is dispersion pattern also a figure 8 like in regular OB? How far from the wall did you place them?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Slim & nice ! Which TS parameters should we aim for regarding the woofers for slot drive?
It’s pretty forgiving, I am using Qts circa 0.7 now to save on cost. But more powerful motor Qts 0.4 will work well too. The difference is that the more powerful motor will have better articulation, but at the cost of less bass extension with a passive XO.
The main thing to look for is cost effectiveness as you need 16 drivers. :)

The original one I made in cardboard used $5 Dayton polycone blowout woofers that are from their $30 bookshelf speakers.

Right now I have two woofers under consideration. A 6.5in GRS polycone 8ohm at 85dB and a 6.5in Pyle papercone 8ohm at 92dB. Both use the same basket so drop in fit. I’ll test both and see which way to go.

Last edited: