Chip Amp Photo Gallery

Rangefinder

Rangefinder,
are you Dogbreath, aka Mick Feuerbacher?
Not sure whose dog your talking about.
As a long time Tech I was just observing not criticizing
Micks work was outstanding and well thought out. Workmanship is superb.
With a box (in micro terms) large enough to to park a Mini in why cram everything on the chip.
I must admit that I would probably done something similar.
In my 45 year career as a tech it was frequently required to cram extra assemblies into an existing circuit (Engineering screw up). Am familiar with being creative and attempting to keeping assemblies looking normal (?).
Not kludged .

Murphy was an Optimist.

Few Chip amp... Hope you like it..

Attachments

• LM3875.JPG
    LM3875.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 2,250
  • Lm3886.JPG
    Lm3886.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 2,229
  • LM4732.JPG
    LM4732.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 2,169
Holy Mist. I've worked in some tight spaces in my time.:rolleyes: Nice tight assemblage but was it necessary . Maybe a smaller box. A redo will be a bugger. Good work. Been there done that but I'm not sure bout the eyes.

A7.jpg

A8.jpg

A5.jpg

The complete story is found here.

Mick
[/QUOTE]

It looks great,the case is too big for them :) did you or anybody in this chipamp topic made direct comparation and listening test of the chipamps and the T-Amps ? I am in need of a very small amps to put in very small desktop boxes but i don´t know how is the sound quality compared to the (for example) Tripath TA2O2O..
Thanks for any possible info, regards.

Here's some pictures of my latest construction. This amplifier utilizes a 24db/oct linkwitz-riley active crossover designed by ESP (Elliott Sound Products - The Audio Pages (Main Index)). It crosses over at 330hz before entering four LM3886 output stages to accomplish a bi-amped system for
my diy speakers.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Rectification is done per channel and each channel has its own 20'000uf reservoir. Transformer is shared 230VA.

Here's my LM3886 based amp. Acquired the heatsink from local supplier, and the PCB came pre-assembled overseas (from China I think).

The PSU is a DIY SMPS, taking 12V inputs with 20V CT DC-outputs. This is because the SMPS produces no audible hum on the speakers. The amp just seems dead without any signal ;-) A little underpowered because I don't have the time to rewound the EL transformer :D

Placed the whole lot on my study desk :p

Here are the attachments, as the previous links might have broken.

Attachments

• 25012011055.jpg
    25012011055.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 548
  • 25012011057.jpg
    25012011057.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 679
  • 25012011058.jpg
    25012011058.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 818
  • 25012011060.jpg
    25012011060.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 765
I love the LM3886 chip pins landing on both sides of the PCB. Would be difficult to remove the chip in case of failure but short paths and solid connections when working....

Yes. Love at the first sight for me too :eek:

It is quite a thick PCB too, measuring approx. 2mm, dual-layer. I bought it for about US$ 16.20 including postage. Both ICs are like dead in absence of signal, though. Let's just hope that Natsemi does its homework properly, so worrying about molten chips can be a thing of the past for us :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That's right, I am using a couple of Lanzar tweeters there. Although they are made specifically for car audio, their sound quality is pretty impressive IMHO.

As for the main speakers, I'm using commercial 3-way Sharp speakers and removed the built-in amp inside. Each of them consists of an 8-inch 30W woofers at 6 ohms, a midrange and a tweeter, located just on the left and right of my chair. And yes, I really like the setup ;-)

I will take pictures of them tomorrow, as it is 12:42 AM here, a little late already. LOL.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I just finished reading all 166 pages.
Wow, you guys and gals are an inspiration.

From the elegantly simple to the complex over the top, every single project is a work of art.

I have built a couple of DIY tube amps, headphone amps and speakers in the past and need another amplifier as much as another hole in my head.
I can not resist the urge to try one of these chip amps, therefore I will.

Well done and thanks to everyone that has contributed.

Best regards,
-BB

my cmoy with cap selection (4700mF, 1000mF, 470mF, 220mF, and all at the same time 6390mF), also the input caps are selectable (1mF, 0.1mF)
waiting for my Nichicon ES 1000mF and Wima 0.1mF, running with Sansa Fuze 4GB + 16GB, and Sennheiser HD212Pro headphones, everything below 320kbps has a flaw.and sometimes even 320kbps is not fulfilling in details....

Attachments

• DSC02269-1024.jpg
    DSC02269-1024.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 2,141
  • DSC02299-1024.jpg
    DSC02299-1024.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 2,108
  • DSC02306-1024.jpg
    DSC02306-1024.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 2,054
About five years ago I ordered and built the PCBs for an AudioSector SE edition gainclone...

Last Saturday I finally got around to buying the rest of the parts to turn it from a bunch of boards into something that actually produces sound.

Why did I not do this earlier? This sounds absolutely STUNNING! Even with my iPod (playing lossless) driving it and using my fairly average desk speakers, I discovered very quickly why these amps are so well regarded.

Just need to put it in a case and hook it up my B&W DM303s now. Project for another five years, perhaps? :p

(Actually, I'm heading down to my local electronics supplier to pick up a case of some sort in about an hour... Stay tuned :D)

Attachments

• gainclone_resized.jpg
    gainclone_resized.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 771
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I built this very basic TDA2050.
It sounds great. Next I am going to try the LM3875.

Regards,
-BB

(Click the pics to Enlarge)

Last edited: