Choosing best output coupling capacitors for B1

:eek: not + - supply ? :confused:

You blew my meager mind for a minute, but I might be beginning to 'get it'.

So P102 is to zero the offset, right? The circuit stabilizes well enough / fast enough for no danger?

If I built it I'd probably replace P102 with fixed resistance after determining the value(s) - unless I've got it wrong, which I probably do:smash:

sorry to be such a pain, I'm just so dang rusty (and thick headed).

Thanks!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks NP!

Jung/Didden Super Regulator is nice.
Used it in Original B1 (commissioned with exotic parts), and building another Super Regulator this weekend for my B1.

Also, added a SuperReg to the Soekris DAC, replacing a standard LM337/317 voltage regs. The highs are truly amazing.

V.
How are you doing this? It looks like the super regulator is limited to +/-15V or so, or +/-19V at the outside.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Long story short, you set the zener and voltage Ref IC to midpoint of your output. This would require you to search out a sutible substitute, then there's a simple calculation to get the output based on the reference voltage. 12v is the midpoint in your case.

Last edited:
Thanks NP!

Jung/Didden Super Regulator is nice.
Used it in Original B1 (commissioned with exotic parts), and building another Super Regulator this weekend for my B1.

Also, added a SuperReg to the Soekris DAC, replacing a standard LM337/317 voltage regs. The highs are truly amazing.

V.

I'm sure It's wonderful!

Somehow I have found the smoke in every shunt type PSU with more than one device in it! I'm Jinxed with the things. More simpler just makes me happier - like a BOZ type with a big hammer swing of capacitance :D

Joined 2000
Paid Member
What about a LT1085 type reg? Very simple, better results than a LM317. LT1085 has a negative reg counter part as well the LT1033.

Built one yestetday in about 1 hour point to point.

Attachments

• 20160820_041106.jpg
    20160820_041106.jpg
    958.1 KB · Views: 1,053
Joined 2008
Paid Member
B1 R2 up and running

Sorry about that. I did wonder why the product seemed stale in
the marketplace...

Here's the schematic.

:cool:

Had to build one of these (see post #17), and I'm happy to report that it sounds fantastic, even though I'm temporarily using a 10K rather than a 25K pot (it's coming). It's at least as good as the stock B1, and much better than the DCB1s I built (which, to be fair, sounded good in some setups but not others). Warm sound, with tremendous bass. Here's some pics of the current state of things, and I'll post more when it's finished. The transformer on the board is to power the relay coil for input selection - I used it because I had it laying around. Haven't hooked it up yet.

The power supply is a Salas shunt with about 300mA spare current.

Attachments

• DSC02358.jpg
    DSC02358.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 941
  • DSC02361.jpg
    DSC02361.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 912
Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The PSU is the recommended +/-24VDC. And yes it was well hidden - Vince D. pointed it out to me, or I'd never have seen it. However, it appears mostly intact in several Pass amps as well as a Lightspeed/buffer combo that Papa sketched on the back of a napkin a while back.

I'm pretty sure I read them all. You suggested many circuits from shunt to chip, and even a Mean-Well switcher. No place do I read that the recommend PSU is +- 24v.

The only absolute specific that I see, is that Mr. Pass stated that he used a single 24v switcher.

In the friendliest of ways I ask - not the least combative.... because I am now confused.