Classic monitor designs?

You can tell I am warming to this theme! Here's a mighty pretty loudspeaker, the Gale GS401A, that made everybody's jaws drop when playing Led Zeppelin's awesome Black Dog at 70's HiFi shows... :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This baby had punch like an Acoustic Research unit and slam and presence like a PA speaker and detail like a Quad electrostatic, and I was left plain wondering what magic stuff was hiding behind those grilles that sounded so GOOD! I'm gonna tell you... :cool:

Firstly, the bad: it was a hideous 4 ohm load for amplifiers and had a reputation for frying them. :eek:

The good: two AR derived foamed 8" paper units wired in parallel as in PA applications, with a simple AR type inductor for an overall second order rolloff to take care of the bass up to 500Hz.

Next was a 4" foamed paper Peerless midrange in a simple sealed plastic tube that went up to 5KHz. The midrange was a particular strength, and considered better than the dull and peaky KEF B110 5" bextrene midrange used in BBC type monitors. Secret sauce? Probably the resistive padding used on the drive unit and after the second order midrange filters. Early models had 4X 10R wirewound padding the midrange and flattening impedance.

From 5KHz, re-enter the excellent mylar domed Celestion HF2000 unit on a third order crossover. Often considered better than the KEF T27. Third order protects the tweeter from LF well, and acoustically matches a second order from the midrange. A lot to like there, and some ideas that found there way into the very fine and lively Wharfedale E70. You can read its history here.

Attachments

• Gale_GS401_drivers.JPG
    Gale_GS401_drivers.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,264
  • Gale_GS401a_crossover.jpg
    Gale_GS401a_crossover.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 1,788
The 1970's BBC LS3/5A has legendary status in small monitors. This one was designed to work in small BBC broadcast vans. Astonishingly real reproduction of voices is its strength. Surprising bass for a small box too. Naturally efficiency is not its strength, which applies to all small boxes.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The old 5" KEF B110 8 ohm bass/mid and T27 tweeter are not that exciting by modern standards IMO, but commendably neutral when equalised carefully. The BBC did a lovely job of equalising in the crossover, and building a very neutral cabinet out of 12mm light birchwood ply with carefully considered damping.

The small drivers, crossing over at 3KHz (think wavelength around 5") give good dispersion, baffle step correction is applied via L1/R1 to rolloff the frequency response above 500Hz which accounts for the impressive bass, near 6dB applied here, and a little LCR trap around 1 kHz to tame a peak in the B110 output. The T27 gets little special treatment beyond a third order crossover and a Zobel network (R4/C6) to level impedance. The autotransformer doesn't do anything special beyond giving variable attenuation and can be treated as a simple inductor, in fact later versions used an inductor and resistors. I expect the overall response follows the usual BBC pattern of declining slightly (ca. -2dB) with increasing frequency, which is very unfatigueing to listen to.

Overall, very nice. I heard the Chartwell LS3/5A version of these, and found it hard to believe how so small a box could make such a big and clear sound! :)

Attachments

• BBC_LS3_5A.JPG
    BBC_LS3_5A.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 710
  • BBC_LS3_5A_XO.JPG
    BBC_LS3_5A_XO.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
You can tell I am warming to this theme! Here's a mighty pretty loudspeaker, the Gale GS401A, that made everybody's jaws drop when playing Led Zeppelin's awesome Black Dog at 70's HiFi shows...

Firstly, the bad: it was a hideous 4 ohm load for amplifiers and had a reputation for frying them. :eek:

Is that the real crossover? No wonder amplifiers fried. 7uf directly across the amplifier terminals!

They did make a cool looking turntable, though.

David S.

(Appears to be a drawing error.)

Last edited:
A friend of mine had the boring version with the standard cabinet, nicely made but never could understand why when he could have had *chrome*. He kept blowing the output stages on his Amcron power amps with them :)

That turntable was beautiful, cost a fortune too I seem to remember, wonder if anyone has one...

All the best

Time we looked at a transmission line as popularised by IMF in its huge 1/4 wave monitors, which has the optimal resistive bass damping according to its adherents...:cool:

This is the 1970's B&W DM2A, which is the (then) fashionable 8" bextrene bass, Celestion HF1300 tweeter and Coles 4001 supertweeter in a 1/8 wavelength line. In fact the HF1300 had its origins as a horn compression driver. 3rd. order butterworth filtering was also the BBC standard in those days. Nice impedance at the price of a slight SPL bump at crossover.

Much to like there. The offset drivers (this is the RHS cabinet) are designed to reduce diffraction problems, and the inverted tweeters should be more time-delay coherent. I had a listen to these, and can't fault them. The bass excursion was quite impressive. :D

Much the same drivers were used in the reflex-loaded Spendor BC1, which was a legend for lack of colouration:

Spendor BC1

Attachments

• Spendor_BC1_Troels_Gravesen.JPG
    Spendor_BC1_Troels_Gravesen.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 2,483
  • B&W_DM2A_loudspeaker.JPG
    B&W_DM2A_loudspeaker.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,247
  • B&W_DM2A_diagram.JPG
    B&W_DM2A_diagram.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 287
Some of those older t-lines had smaller cabinet volume relative to driver Sd. My Fried t-lines for a 10" have 4.75 cu.ft. line volume in approximately a 10.5' line length. The anti resonant frequecnies exiting line terminus give the illusion of a much larger cone radiating area to the listener.

Attachments

• speakers 006.jpg
    speakers 006.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 232
Ah, now you're talking! The B&W DM2/2a's are my all time favourite speaker. I've got and use 2 pairs on 2 systems and after all the speakers I've had over the years these are the ones I always return to, so much so I've given up :)
Similar to the Spendor BC1's in many ways (not really surprising given almost the same driver line up and complex crossover) they have *much* deeper tighter bass.
I know a lot of people say they are 70's style boomy but I think they'll find that's entirely to room placement due to that eighth wave loading (I know there is argument if there's even such a thing but that's what B&W called it and it's fine by me, it's only a name!)
If you have them the usual 12-18" from the wall they will indeed boom, they should either be a *long* way away (more then 3') or ideally and counter intuitively a lot closer (less then 10") this brings down the upper bass and makes them tight, firm & able to reproduce anything.. the stands should also be a lot lower then you'd think (again less then 10")
My living room pair in a room 15'X24' with the speakers firing lengthwise down the room are about 4" from the rear wall and on home made 9" stands, in my much smaller 10'x12' study about 3" away but on 18" stands, those are used nearfield :) Driven by a stock Quad 606mk1 and a rebuilt but unmodded Quad 303 respectively.
Of course there's way better out there but I've not found any that give me as much actual all round musical pleasure..

hey, beginning to look like a speaker, kind of, or maybe off :p

well, they were supposed to be bookshelf speakers
but I decided not to abandon the true "spirit" of hifi :clown: and built a pair of stands :smash:
and I can tell you, even without drivers, they are bloddy heavy :eek:

well, bloddy many small details to take care of, and still a few remains to be sorted

Wow, you just gave me a brilliant idea for my next-next project. I have a pair of James 3" two way inwalls. I also have a pair of JBL 508 woofers. Build a simple crossover, and a new project is born. I was going to take the speakers apart (they are in a sealed aircraft aluminum enclosure), but this was bad thinking on my part. Thanks to you, I have now seen the light.

Unfortunately there are very few USA Spendor dealers. The Spendor Classic line model SP100R2 looks similiar in design to the BC1. It still uses a 12" damped bextrene cone.

The SP100 is quite a bit larger than a BC1, which used an 8" woofer.

The SP100, and the Harbeth 40.1, are both sort of spiritual descendents of the BBC LS5/8.

The closest thing in Spendor's current lineup the the old BC1 would be the SP1/2R2.

Good to see that Spendor and Harbeth are keeping the BBC Monitor flame burning!

These are evidently exceptional neutral loudspeakers at a price. Retained is the thinnish damped cabinet and plastic bass cones and complex crossovers. Tweeters have moved on, of course, and those look like modern SEAS units, even (shudders...LOL) metal domes in the case of the Harbeth.
6moons audio reviews: Harbeth Super HL5

Attachments

• Spendor_Classic_Loudspeaker_range.JPG
    Spendor_Classic_Loudspeaker_range.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 4,359
  • Harbeth_Super_HL5.JPG
    Harbeth_Super_HL5.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 4,251
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The cones do look plastic but at least one of them kind of looks like doped paper, hard to tell.

Would you say there is anything that these classic speakers have or use that is not in common use today, but which you prefer for your own use? For example if I were to say that I like paper coned drivers and found that cone tweeters have something that dome tweeters don't offer, I'm sure I'd cop a ribbing if I were on some other forums. Then there's closed boxes and pleated surrounds.

Old speakers (not all though) can't hold a candle to a well built (by diyAudio standards) modern speaker, but they sure sounded good all the same.

AllenB I posted the link at post 131. Spendor uses bextrene 12' in that model speaker. I read a review of older model in Hi Fi World or Hi Fi news late 90's early 2000's that gave them a great review. I think the price is around 4000+ $ US $.
That would buy many Hiquphon and Scan Speak drivers.

My experience with cone tweeters is that many drop off at 8-10khz. I bought a case of Bose tweeters in late 90's. The Tonegan 2 inch Bose uses in many of their models. They cost 1/4 US dollar . Not a bad investment. 80db at one meter about all they are really good for.

I wanted speakers for am radio listening and tv..