Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/builds

@Art and BP, like i said it was not about db's but about frequency response graph over the bandwidth. I had to adjust my mic input every two cabinets or so to prevent clipping, i set all 3 amps to the same gain level output. And sometimes I use one channel for two cabinets and sometimes one channel for one cabinet so it switched from 8 to 4 ohm. So maybe that is why some graphs are not one different levels. But like I said that was not the point of my test.

Next time I drag the stacks out, hopefully this time with some help, I will try to adjust every amp output to 2.83v and spl calibrate and output every channel to its own cabinet. Then we can do a spl/db type measurement. I also wanted to do some stacking option and cardioid setups but I was alone and was unable to handle the cabinets on my own.

The impact and brutality of 8 18ds115-4 in super duper compound crazies has got to be similar to just having one of the cabinets launched at your body at
1130ft/sec ? :D i mean, you have something rather extraordinary by anyones standards there!?? epic.

Next time I drag the stacks out, hopefully this time with some help, I will try to adjust every amp output to 2.83v and spl calibrate and output every channel to its own cabinet. Then we can do a spl/db type measurement. I also wanted to do some stacking option and cardioid setups but I was alone and was unable to handle the cabinets on my own.
Setting up that many cabinets in different arrays is a literal ton of work!

Considering the size of the array's combined mouth area, and potential for mic clipping, moving the mic out to 10 meters would be far more indicative of actual response outside the near field "bubble".

Hope you find some help, looking forward to the test!

Art

CEA2010 also on the agenda for that session? Haven't seen one from a paraflex before.

I did once with the TC2E-115 but it was extreme loud on higher frequencies from 63hz etc and was clipping my mic before it reached its maximum output. After that i didn't see the point torturing a single cabinet at extreme voltage to get some burst and spl at fixed frequencies and also all the time it takes and bombarding the neighborhood in a 5 mile radius with alien noises.

I would never use one cabinet in the field, I rather put in 6, 8, 16 or more at 1Kw rms each max, which gives me 1) cool drivers, 2) cool amps, 3) it can go for 8 plus hours with ease, and 4) can output more than enough with enough headroom to spare.

@Art, if i move another 5 meters I am outside the gate onto public road hahaha

stack-of-eight-tc2e-115.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Perhaps test one box to its full output (CEA-2010, power compression testing etc) and then perform separate tests to work out the array gain. Then apply the array gain to the full output tests to calculate the array capability?

If your only doing low power sweeps to work out array gains then battery powered amps work.

*Nice stack!

The good ole trusty & reliable Type "C" Classic, with Ziggurat Sound

I'm well on my way to completing two 1x18 Type C subwoofer cabs.

Are these best run lying on their side, or standing up? Will it make much difference, if any? Ultimately, I'd like to build four.

Ziggurat Sound,

Congratulations on your Paraflex Type "C" Classic subwoofers :happy2:

The Type "C" Classic was one of our very first Paraflex subwoofers intended for PA work and it is still popular to this day ... It has proven itself to be an all around solid & reliable performer and is more forgiving of lesser-motored drivers than we had originally anticipated which along with it's extended upper bandwidth (also more than anticipated) adds to it's versatility ......... The Paraflex Type "C" Classic is also easy to build & light for its size ...

Some folks use them standing up while some others prefer to have them laying down and either way we are receiving positive reports about their performance....

A comparison was recently made with a Paraflex C-2E subwoofer standing up versus laying down and there was some small difference in the measurements when the curves were overlapped but nothing too noteworthy (and likely makes even less difference when arraying multiple cabinets) .......... The Type "C" Classic's height to width aspect ratio is less extreme than the C-2E ....

I would suggest deploying them in whichever orientation (as in standing or laying) is most practical for you ...
:)

Our new Paraflex PA tops are better than our old "SP" PA tops..

hello fello DIY enthusiasts. I'm just wondering if anyone has the full dimensions for the very first SUPER PLANAR build with the PA310 woofers?

Hello Kaazi 21:wave:,

I recommend the Paraflex 2x12 top (or the Paraflex 1x12 top) now as they are far superior to the old Super Planar top designs ....... We have been making recent updates which have improved them even further ... .. . There is a lot of information about these designs in the Facebook group....

Here is the link to our "Guides" section which was previously called "Units", and it is where we have all of our current designs listed.

Hello Kaazi 21:wave:,

I recommend the Paraflex 2x12 top (or the Paraflex 1x12 top) now as they are far superior to the old Super Planar top designs ....... We have been making recent updates which have improved them even further ... .. . There is a lot of information about these designs in the Facebook group....

Here is the link to our "Guides" section which was previously called "Units", and it is where we have all of our current designs listed.

cheers for the link. i had a look but they all require other drivers as I already had 2 PA310s and figured this design would be well suited for these budget drivers.

Ziggurat Sound,

Congratulations on your Paraflex Type "C" Classic subwoofers :happy2:

The Type "C" Classic was one of our very first Paraflex subwoofers intended for PA work and it is still popular to this day ... It has proven itself to be an all around solid & reliable performer and is more forgiving of lesser-motored drivers than we had originally anticipated which along with it's extended upper bandwidth (also more than anticipated) adds to it's versatility ......... The Paraflex Type "C" Classic is also easy to build & light for its size ...

Some folks use them standing up while some others prefer to have them laying down and either way we are receiving positive reports about their performance....

A comparison was recently made with a Paraflex C-2E subwoofer standing up versus laying down and there was some small difference in the measurements when the curves were overlapped but nothing too noteworthy (and likely makes even less difference when arraying multiple cabinets) .......... The Type "C" Classic's height to width aspect ratio is less extreme than the C-2E ....

I would suggest deploying them in whichever orientation (as in standing or laying) is most practical for you ...
:)

Thanks Matthew for the awesome and warm response to my query. I'm thrilled by the incredible work The Society has put into these designs and while I don't have a Facebook account myself I think it could be fun to post some build pics here as I progress.

Another quick Q about the Type C--I'm considering the placement of bar handles right now and was wondering how acceptable you'd consider placing one of the handles in the throat of the C-shaped path (squarely in the air space that the driver is firing into)? Would this change the impedance of that air space significantly enough that the cone would be loaded unevenly (or cause any other problems that you know of)?

Definitely let me know if you have any guidance :)

Thanks Matthew for the awesome and warm response to my query. I'm thrilled by the incredible work The Society has put into these designs and while I don't have a Facebook account myself I think it could be fun to post some build pics here as I progress.

We all appreciate your kind words Ziggurat , Thanks! Happy to hear that you are enjoying the acoustic adventures! :spin: ... ... So glad to have you joining in on the fun:cheerful: ... Yes, please do post some build photos and reports here :up: ..

Another quick Q about the Type C--I'm considering the placement of bar handles right now and was wondering how acceptable you'd consider placing one of the handles in the throat of the C-shaped path (squarely in the air space that the driver is firing into)?

Most people who build these cabinets install handles along the sides (which includes the throat area of the path) and it has never caused any problems ...... I always tell people to use handles which aren't too deep (and no more of them than necessary) .... As USRFObiwan (Plippie Plop) mentioned just be sure that the handles can never possibly leak and I second his suggestion of sealant to be employed in that effort .....

Here's some progress on the first Type C 1x18.

I have the bracing glued into one of the boxes. Someone on Instagram mentioned it would be worth rounding over the holes in the bracing to reduce turbulent airflow and increase laminar flow. It's a little late to route them but I could certainly get in there with a sanding pad.

What's the community consensus regarding how important this is?

Attachments

• j4W4dTY4QjSH6UhllRHEVA.jpg
    j4W4dTY4QjSH6UhllRHEVA.jpg
    977.1 KB · Views: 285