Contemporary Blues

R.L Burnside is an underappreciated blues singer, songwriter and guitarist.
Although most of his work was recorded last century, he continued recording until his death in 2005, releasing his last studio album " A Bothered Mind" in 2004.
That album showcases old school gut-bucket sounds and riffs mashed up with funky dance music grooves.
Outstanding recordings, raw, slick and unpolished.

His compilation albums have great picks from about a half-century of songs:
Going Down South (1999)
My Black Name a-Ringin' (1999)
Well, Well, Well (2001)
Raw Electric (2002)
No Monkeys on this Train (2003)
First Recordings (2003)
Rollin' and Tumblin': the King of Hill Country Blues (2010)
Long Distance Call (2019)

Well, well, well, if you haven't already checked R.L. Burnside out, you could start here:

r.l. burnside well well well - Bing video

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
He was OG for sure also a pioneer for blues fusion, my first exposure was through the Sopranos series on HBO. His music drew me in (like I’m sure it did many) as soon as i first heard it. R.L.Burnside - it's bad you know - YouTube

Also picked up on Alabama 3 from that series Alabama 3 - Woke Up This Morning | Rockness 2013 | Festivo - YouTube

His grandson Cedric Burnside is still carrying the torch. Quite the impressive percussionist! Cedric Burnside Project "Goin' down south" (Blues Rules 2016) - YouTube

Last edited:
Last edited:
I heard this song on the the movie ‘public enemies’ with Johnny Depp which in of itself was a really good flick, but when this song started playing I was entranced by it and paused the movie so I could go get my phone and Shazam it.....my wife is like what are you doing!
Anyway....here’s Otis Taylor with ‘ten million slaves’ (notice the cool banjo!) Otis Taylor "10 Million Slaves" #studiolive - YouTube

Last edited: