Contemporary Blues

I can understand someone’s day being ruined by having to follow SRV as your opening act. :D

I saw him at a small beer fest with a couple three hundred +/- people in attendance........was basically standing within arms length of him the whole time! :cool:

I had a similar experience with Aldo nova/.38 special back in the early 80’s.....Aldo nova kicked **** live (much to my surprise) then .38 special came out and was so unimpressive we left as not to ruin the experience!

Timmy, yah.....love me some Chris Thomas King. Rap/blues/bluegrass mash up.....good stuff.

Cant tell if this new one by Mojo blues band is an original or not, koko Taylor had a song ‘voodoo woman’ but this isn’t it (different lyrics) well whatever it is .....it’s a fine job!

Edit......digging deeper I find that this is a Austrian band that started out opening for touring blues acts in Austria! Never, ever would have thought that......I was thinking straight out da bayou!

Voodoo Woman - YouTube

Last edited:
It’s simple Mark,
A blues man plays 3 chords to thousands of people and a jazz man plays thousands of chords to 3 people. :D

Though similar it’s two different things....back when I first met my wife and we spent our first Christmas together her friends and family all gave me jazz music as gifts and finally after opening the 4th or 5th one I said what the heck is goin on here? She said, well I told everyone you liked jazz music and it would make good gifts. Back up the bus (not to sound ungrateful disclaimer stated) but it’s blues I like not jazz......she says ‘isn’t it the same thing’........all I could do is just shake my head no. :rolleyes:

Some of it sure can be, there was a thing called free jazz, didn't last for long, I find much contemporary jazz too predictable, jazz by numbers I call it. I read a book called Shining Trumpets by Rudi Blesh, written in the forties I think, he loved "trad jazz" and it's polyphony and improvisation, he hated swing, said it wasn't jazz, ridiculous comment, but such was/is the resistance to change.

Last edited: