Contemporary Blues

Just came across this feller......Toronzo Cannon, quite a captivating artist. The First 24 - YouTube

PSA, from what I could tell as amazing as Joanne Shaw is she has the same problem for me ( this is just my personal pet peeve) in that many classically trained guitarists spend too much time in their head, in other words theres too much thought involved in playing.

BUT......then I came across this where she lets it go with one of my favorite contemporary blues guitarists Eric Gales. ERIC GALES + JOANNE SHAW TAYLOR (JAM) Red House GUITARE EN SCENE FESTIVAL FRANCE 2016 - YouTube

Sound quality isn’t the best but it’s quite obvious what she’s capable of!

Last edited:
I can agree that she's a schooled player, and blues should be more about the emotional than the technical. But she's in my humble opinion still on the right side of the middle.
It's a big difference between what you can learn and what you're born with, no one can learn how to play like John Lee Hooker, Jimi Hendrix etc. :)
I guess I see her more like Stevie Ray Vaughn, a very technical player that still knows how express emotions. She actually does a version of "Rude Mood" by SRV. Of the strict blues tunes my favorite is "Blackest Day".
And until about two years ago she wasn't 100% solid in her voice playing live, for the reason you said, she was in her head worrying about things (according to herself). :)

Yes , you can see the amazement on her face while she’s playing with Eric gales and being caught up in the moment also that she’s having a hard time ‘letting go’ but when she finally does you can see the thorough enjoyment it brings her.

I saw SRV at a very small venue just a few months after he was out of rehab and I could tell he was much more ‘technical’ than I was used to......I’m still on the fence but I think I preferred the pre-rehab SRV (not that I’m endorsing alcohol/drug abuse) it had much more intimate flow. But after reading how bad things actually were for him (and how many shows were not worthy of production) I’m glad he got it together before being taken from us.

I guess some are uncomfortable with all the people in the audience, and having someone on stage to interact with gives them a more comfortable feeling. Some are the opposite and really only shines live on stage.
I can't think of a single musician that was as good after rehab, unfortunately. I believe it's best that they stay away from it or learn to balance the bad stuff.

Alistair Greene has teamed up with Tab Benoits record label to put out this new album,awesome except I’m getting that deja vu again with these licks......sounds so familiar but I can’t put my finger on it, near as I can tell it’s a 90’s alternative rock song I’m thinking of....but oh well, wouldn’t be the first time a song had a re-lyric. Or I could be totally wrong and it’s just the style and tuning that puts me there? :p
Bayou Mile - YouTube