DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Some people are still using CD sources! Horror of horrors!

A few friends are planning on building the DAC, and one has asked to have a SPDIF input so they can use their (very nice) CDP as a source alongside USB. Hence asking about peoples experience with a SPDIF to i2s converter like the AK4118 or WM8805 (or others) - and thanks to all for the discussion on that.

Its one of the great advantages of this dac - its very configurable for lots of source options, all the while giving great performance.

Just an update on rolling in Pedja's Diamond buffer I/V stage into my stacking JLSounds version of Miro's PCBs - apologies guys but work is pretty hectic at he moment and I've not had time to look at it. The little hobby time I've had this week has been expended on my MoFo preamp and 300B headphone amp projects as I need to clear the decks a bit.

Some people are still using CD sources! Horror of horrors!

But if someone needs CD sources: Why bother with an AD1862 and then seriously deal with SPDIF boards?

There are also CD drives with I2S input: For example "Superlink": CEC TL 2N

You can also make it fit with other drives. You have to like the SPDIF boards shown to fit into this AD1862 project :confused:

About the DIYinHK AD1862 board...
It uses stopped clock scheme for handling data input,
stopped clock has technical advantages but one clear disadvantage I see with it is that the LRCLK is not driving the DACs directly, like it is in miro's design.

I have a DIYinHK multichannel interface with multiple data outputs at my disposal, I'm wondering if it would be possible to drive the AD1862 data inputs directly with these extra data outputs by configuring them in software to provide the seperate DL and DR signals for the DACs.

My rough understanding is that the data stream is being delayed by a specific number of clock cycles by shift registers, so the corresponding data gets clocked into each DAC channel during the LRCLK cycle.

The problem is that I expected one of channels would be fed directly to DAC and only one would need to be delayed, but it seems shift registers are required for both channels in the schematic...
this is to do with left/right justified data I guess?

This probably won't be possible then without shift registers?

Last edited:
Hi folks,
finally got some PCBs :up:
I ordered more than I need, so I have 8 pieces left.
Please look at Swap Meet :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210324_162630.jpg
    IMG_20210324_162630.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 310
Well recorded CDs can sound fine, but not all are well recorded. Best to rip them to a computer and play them over a good USB to I2S interface. That way no fancy transport is needed.

Make's sense, we are not in the XX° century anymore. I could add all those young people than buy LPs again seems a little disturbed to me ! Following the Fame, not understanding what they are doing with their low cost Thorens ! Do they scratch with Blue Note LPs ? ... sorry can't resist ! There was an hassle in the next block that mixed during the lockdown for people that wanted to sleep !

I predict a great sucess to the old cassettes players :D ! I wish I had keep my Teac to swap it for a new car :cool:

Last edited:
Nice guys, I can understand that vintage thingy, goods were nicer to look, often constructed like tank !

I found a PIONEER SA-506 amp in a local garbadge recycling center last week! As new, with knobs as big as the brain that the guy that throw it ! (will make a 100 bucks or a nice amp for the kitchen ! ) I asked what to do with that in the Solid State section ! Guess... zero answers... people are snobs ! That young dudes have indeed something fun, just lack of the first sparkle of education though !