DIY biamp 6-24 crossover

Nelson,
Not sure how deep your board revision will go (just swapping legs?) but while your at it could you increases the space and lead-wire spacing for the caps to have more flexibility here? I would also find it handy if it was possible to parallel caps. Needs more real estate though.

The shop could call it a high end version, or special edition :)

Why making it so complicated with a differential crossover from in- to output? These two halves need to be very carefully balanced in order not to distort. The useual way have is to adapt the in- and outputs doing the conversion from differential-to-single ended and vice versa, keeping whats in between in a single end mode.

Active system for old Tannoys?

Hello!

My grandfather's 50-year-old Tannoy Monitor Gold 15 speakers are sounding muffled.
I have checked for physical wear around the cone/spider and found none.
The worldwideweb suggests that the crossover capacitors be replaced.

Incidentally the 40-year-old JVC stereo amp that powers the speakers is failing too.

I stumbled upon Nelson Pass and Rod Elliott articles on active crossovers and bi-amping and this got me wondering... are these speakers a suitable candidate for an active system?
Or should I just re-cap the existing crossovers and pursue a different project?

I am a DIY-curious novice with no electronics background and only one super simple preamp build under my belt.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Adding some EQ for a sub

:scratch2:I'm going to use one board for a sub, but I'm pretty sure it will need some EQ boost. Comparing Papa's LX-mini Xover schematic to the 6-24, they look very similar. Mind you I'm still a noob, but would it be possible to add a EQ circuit to the front end of the low pass filter?:scratch2:

Why making it so complicated with a differential crossover from in- to output? These two halves need to be very carefully balanced in order not to distort. The useual way have is to adapt the in- and outputs doing the conversion from differential-to-single ended and vice versa, keeping whats in between in a single end mode.

Nelson seems to suggest in post number 163 that careful matching for differential operation isn’t quite so important

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hello!

My grandfather's 50-year-old Tannoy Monitor Gold 15 speakers are sounding muffled.
I have checked for physical wear around the cone/spider and found none.
The worldwideweb suggests that the crossover capacitors be replaced.

Incidentally the 40-year-old JVC stereo amp that powers the speakers is failing too.

I stumbled upon Nelson Pass and Rod Elliott articles on active crossovers and bi-amping and this got me wondering... are these speakers a suitable candidate for an active system?
Or should I just re-cap the existing crossovers and pursue a different project?

I am a DIY-curious novice with no electronics background and only one super simple preamp build under my belt.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

you need sorta special xover for Tannoy DC - not just Newman compensation for compression driver ( rising electrical compensating declining acoustical output, in freq. domain, but also specific notch circuit at some 3KHz

so, as novice, it's not (yet) for you ....... except in case that Pa is having ready solution for your case

recipe for DC - be sure that both cmpression drivers and bass cones are working as they should, refresh xover - clean all switches ( when you decide later which positions you preferm just hard solder them) and DIY nice Papamp

M2 (original, not various iterations of late) is my fave, not just because it sound gorgeously , but for novices that amp is extremely easy to make and set - practically just one trimpot, to set output offset ........ not extremely hot, so everything easier

you'll be in Tannoy Heaven, if your source and preamp are up to task

you need sorta special xover for Tannoy DC - not just Newman compensation for compression driver ( rising electrical compensating declining acoustical output, in freq. domain, but also specific notch circuit at some 3KHz

so, as novice, it's not (yet) for you ....... except in case that Pa is having ready solution for your case

recipe for DC - be sure that both cmpression drivers and bass cones are working as they should, refresh xover - clean all switches ( when you decide later which positions you preferm just hard solder them) and DIY nice Papamp

M2 (original, not various iterations of late) is my fave, not just because it sound gorgeously , but for novices that amp is extremely easy to make and set - practically just one trimpot, to set output offset ........ not extremely hot, so everything easier

you'll be in Tannoy Heaven, if your source and preamp are up to task
Thanks for that Zen Mod.

Will fix speakers as you suggest.

Been reading the M2X thread all afternoon - your thumbs up just made the decision to build it easier.