DIY biamp 6-24 crossover

as i could be Nuke anytime now , i finally decide to build this diy crossover . only fill the 6/12DB setting . with my own caps , Alps POTs in place of the little blue ones ( already said that i'm lasy ?) plug it into my system . and what a No surprise it is better than my vintage ones for sure and sounds the same as the B4 as i could remember it .

share the fun as always with Monsieur Nelson :)

IMG_7568.jpg

IMG_7567.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
thanks but not , you are wrong i'm not clever at all :giggle:

perhaps i will change the Alps blue for resistor based volume pot when i will be rich , but the real deal is the polystyrene ( styroflex ) capacitors for the filter , always prefer them to film caps or mica in Xover , fun and cheap to try..

Morning

I have a pair of Briston A1 Speaker That I bi-amp with tube preamp feeding a pair of tube monoblocks for mid & hi and a SS amp for the low. I want to build a crossover to insert between the preamp and the power amps. Looking at DIYAudio Store, I was going to order the

LXmini Crossover / analog network
But on the site I also saw
DIY Biamp 6-24 Crossover

Could somebody guide me as to which kit would be more appropriate for that job or any comment to that mater. I attach a map of my present set-up (2 channel on the right). Thanking you in advance for the help, have a great day.

Robert

Attachments

• Stereomap pict.jpg
    Stereomap pict.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 94
Hello Franz Gysi,

the LXmini-active- crossover was made to drive the LXmini-loudspeaker active. But it can be adjusted
for other usage/ speakers. You can also adjust the equalization by adjusting partvalues (R or C).
The crossoverfrequencies in the LXmini-active-crossover are 'fixed'. Sure you can change parts. Or you
could use a pot instead of a fixed resistor.
The two pots at the input of the LXmini-AXO are for volume adjustment between (amp after) highpass
and (amp after) lowpass.
The 6-24-AXO has two pots at the inputbuffers of the low- and highpass. Same volume control as the
LXmini.
The other pots in the 6-24-AXO are for adjustments of the crossoverfrequencies (RC-filters - you adjust
R).
I hope this helps? :unsure:
Cheers
Dirk
p.s.: or the Master will respond

Attachments

• LXmini_pots.jpg
    LXmini_pots.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 238
  • 6-24AXO_pots.jpg
    6-24AXO_pots.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 189
A recently completed 6/24 crossover. It's controlling a pair of Alpair 7.3s and Jordan JX125ns in an LXmini clone setup, crossing over at 6 / 12 dB somewhere near 160Hz. The Mini DSP I was using previously made the Alpairs sound a bit shouty, which no amount of filter tweaking managed to eliminate. This has turned them into well behaved units. Lovely, lovely sounds!

Setup was super easy using Mike Rothacher's filter calculator. I preset all the pot values, plugged it in and bingo. The only adjustment so far is attenuating the high frequency band a little to compensate for the slightly underpowered amp I'm using for the low frequencies. To my ears it is already approaching flat, such that I don't think much more playing around will be necessary (though of course I will do so).

Having gone massively oversize on the enclosure for a recent BA Linestage build, there was room in there for the crossover... I'm piggybacking off the preamp power supply which is only 20 volts; the output is sufficient ('loud!' says the rest of the family).

Mr Pass, thanks for sharing the lovely design!

Attachments

• IMG20220309121221.jpg
    IMG20220309121221.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 274
Reactions: 1 user
Hello Franz Gysi,

the LXmini-active- crossover was made to drive the LXmini-loudspeaker active. But it can be adjusted
for other usage/ speakers. You can also adjust the equalization by adjusting partvalues (R or C).
The crossoverfrequencies in the LXmini-active-crossover are 'fixed'. Sure you can change parts. Or you
could use a pot instead of a fixed resistor.
The two pots at the input of the LXmini-AXO are for volume adjustment between (amp after) highpass
and (amp after) lowpass.
The 6-24-AXO has two pots at the inputbuffers of the low- and highpass. Same volume control as the
LXmini.
The other pots in the 6-24-AXO are for adjustments of the crossoverfrequencies (RC-filters - you adjust
R).
I hope this helps? :unsure:
Cheers
Dirk
p.s.: or the Master will respond
NOW I got it!

Thanks for your clarification, Dirk!

Franz

Just completed my 6-24 crossover. Using 6db slope. Speakers are B&C 250 compression driver and Emminence Deltalite 2515 on open baffle. I had a first order xover with a cap and coil for years. Was curious if this active xover could be better. It was quite daunting to tackle this project, but I read the build guide,the thread,and the article by Mr. Pass. It jelled in my brain while I was building it and started to make sense. Caps chosen for 1200hz cross. Voila, turned down tweeter to match bass, adjusted low pass and high pass downward closer to 1000hz spread them apart a little more to get “thickness out of the middle” and the image snapped open. Pretty close now, but will be twiddling for awhile, great learning experience.Must buy another one for a project laying in the dust! Thanks to Mr. Pass for the idea to turn the amps around, makes swapping “more better”!

Attachments

• FDB0FD9B-044D-4AAF-B2A6-F22B468BF07D.jpeg
    FDB0FD9B-044D-4AAF-B2A6-F22B468BF07D.jpeg
    372.3 KB · Views: 179
Anyone has an idea of this board that I got few years back from swap meet here and it says "Biamp 12ERF V1R0 Pass Works". I think this thread 6-24 is the next iteration of the same circuit but I do see few differences on the PCBs, hence got a doubt.

I have the IDSS measured J113 jfets and the associated resistors like 4 sets of them (100,100, 3.3k & 10k resistors) nicely written on a slip of paper for my sets of jfets. I am trying to see the documentation to build this passive crossover. If someone can guide me to this it would be helpful as even Google says limited matches :)

Thanks