DIY Front End 2022

Question : If my psu is single rail 34v, I’m I good with 25v caps for C4 and C5? My understanding is that since they are in series they share the voltage but I may be wrong.

Attachments

• 3BA3E56E-4CAB-40AA-B8D4-462FB1179246.jpeg
    3BA3E56E-4CAB-40AA-B8D4-462FB1179246.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Just for info: This method works excellently for Denmark. I got my kit today, very quick, thank you for that. . There is a fee for administration that makes the delivery more expensive than the price of this kit, so it might be a good idea to find more themes from the shop to have delivered at the same time.
Before the customs changes were introduced in the EU in July 2021, we hired several tax consultants from the UK and EU and were told that any shipment that didn't have duties pre-paid would make the receiver go through a very painful duty collections process, with a high likelihood of being returned (with the financial ramifications being borne by the store). Though each consultant had different opinions on what it all meant, what we would have to do and how things would look in reality.

We were admittedly surprised that after this date, and after going through lots of research, negotiations and systems upgrades to prepare for this change in the EU, that packages without duties pre-paid still managed to get through after July 1st 2021. Even in a reasonably affordable way if the receiver went through the local customs department processes.

We honestly didn't think that DHL eCommerce's cheaper methods would be viable options after July 1st 2021. Based on your comments, and the general feedback over the last 12 months that non-duty-pre-paid shipments are still managing to get through with little problems and the systems and processes to pay duties are now relatively well travelled roads for most EU citizens, it might be time to re-assess our strategy and priorities in regards to EU shipping methods.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I finished mine too. It sounds utterly transparent. Just superb. 20 bucks? Nah, more like a million!

Using a test bed preamp chassis. Bipolar supply at +-27V. Goof that I am, I wired the supply backwards. The 47R resistors smoked. After troubleshooting, it appeared the output stage fets were toasted. Now here’s another nice touch from Nelson: the package came with one extra J113. I used it and had some ksa992 on hand. Fixed it and now it works fine. He probably foresaw people like me doing something silly and tossed in an extra J113. How nice!

Thank you Papa!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I LOVE seeing projects where parts on hand get used. Fantastic!

Attenuator output ground attaches to V-, not -IN.

-IN jumper to V-.

Yes, the V- pad gets a lot of wires to it.
FE Preamp2.jpg

Thank you, 6L6. I updated attenuator ground connection to V- and that made the difference. I also cleaned up the wiring and made things a bit neater.

For those keeping score at home for a single rail power supply, SE build, I had 4 wires at the V- connection (for each board)-

1. Jumper from -In to V-. (A small length of wire under the board connecting -In to V-)
2. Wire from ground of input RCA jack to V-.
3. Wire from ground of output RCA jack to V-
4. Wire from power supply ground to V-.

VG connection points were not used.

I was using a thin wires and I was able to get all four wires into the V- connection. With any thicker gauge wire, you'll need to be creative since they won't all fit.

Reactions: 4 users
So I got curious about how good the matching on some of my JFETs was for this FE:

LSK389B, 6 samples, here's the percentage error match between the Idss of the 2 sides of the dual. I paid about $8.50 ea for these, $51

%diff Idss1 Idss2
=== ==== ====
1.29% 11.44 11.59
1.63% 10.83 11.01
2.51% 6.60 6.77
2.99% 8.10 8.35
4.03% 6.91 7.20
5.58% 10.66 11.29

That 4% and 5.6% are a little disappointing. The 5.6% is still within the +/- 1mA tolerance spec BTW.

J113, 100 samples for $27, (need 2x of these to equal gm of those K389's).

I binned these at 0.3mA increments. 17.4 mA ave Idss, so about 1.72% matching in those bins.

Could bin to 0.1mA to get 0.57% matching.

2SK2145-BL, 120 samples, $41 (only 73 tested, 'cause I got lazy and had enough to get the matching I was looking for at the time). [need 2x of these to equal gm of those K389's]

Wow... the side-to-side match of my 2SK2145's was better than I remembered. Attached the chart. 8.21 mA ave Idss.

Hmm... might get boards for these instead. :unsure:

Cinco's 2SK2145 matching.png Cinco's 2SK2145 FE 2022 PCB.png

Reactions: 1 users
How does the 2022 FE sound driving the M2 OPS? Pretty darned good so far. I'm going to continue to listen to this setup for a while to get a good measure of it, then I will dig into some of the ideas proposed in Patrick's The M2 Output Stage in Class A/B, and maybe a Power WHAMMY thread. Specifically I'll be looking into the nested feedback configurations and alternate output devices. But that is a discussion for a different thread.

Reactions: 1 user
The 2SK2145-BL data is similar to mine for GR.
Of course because of the larger Idss of the BL grade, the difference in % is slightly lower.

I personally only use 2SK2145 in GR grade, although it does not matter in this circuit.
This is because the bias current is determined by the LTP current source (3mA total).
But if you would use the 2SK2145 at it Idss, you will not have much drain-source voltage unless you run it at its absolute maximum rating.
I never use SOT23 devices much more than 60mW for reliability reasons.
With GR grade Idss between 3~5mA, that only means Vds of 12~20V.

Of course you can also use any matching rejects to replace the CCS JFET here, with the two devices in parallel, and choosing the right source resistor.
This is actually what I did here, one version of which is similar to this but with added output follower :
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...t-at-discrete-opamp-in-dip8-footprint.337484/
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...e-opamp-in-dip8-footprint.337484/post-5780750

And I would always use separately matched 2SK170's than LSK389's myself.
Even the latest TI JFE2140 is only spec'ed at +/-5%.

Cheers,
Patrick

Cinco, thanks so much for sharing your measurement data, that is really encouraging regarding the 2SK2145's. Could you share your raw Idss numbers so I can get a sense of how many matched pairs of 2SK2145's could be created from the parts in your sample set?
Here you go...
I never use SOT23 devices much more than 60mW for reliability reasons.
With GR grade Idss between 3~5mA, that only means Vds of 12~20UV.
:nod: Been running them at 3.5mA max and 12V or so.

Attachments

• 2SK2145 Idss Data Cinco.zip
    7.1 KB · Views: 103