DIY Schroeder Tonearm???

adjuster detail

Would you post some pics of this arrangement? It sounds interesting and a bit complicated?

Go to www.gis.net/~bgruhn/audiodiy/adjuster.png for a sketch. I'll try to attach the image here as well.

What we have is an antiskating wheel with a hub on each side and a clearance hole for the screw which has the suspension line threaded through it. There is a pin through the upper hub that extends into a channel cut lengthwise in the screw keeping the screw from rotating but allowing it to go up and down. There is a nut on the screw which sets the tension and gap between the magnets. I hope this clarify things for you. So far it is doing the job well. Ask if you have any other questions.

Happy Holidays,

BillG

Attachments

• adjuster.jpg
    adjuster.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 1,034
Hello

I would like to turn to you guys with my questions.
I'm working on a DIY tonearm. I purchased several tonearm tubes Titanium, Carbon fibre, aluminium, graphite pipe.
I having problem to chose the right suspension.
Here is these picture I could build these. If I see the tone arm hang on a wire or something that is true.
Can someone explain to me where I must use the magnet please.
Any advise welcome.
I started these project a couple weeks a go but I would like to learn from those who already made it.
I attache the picture, since to me these arm I could build to.
Please help me to understand how will function, pivot etc
Thank you very much
Greetings Gabor

Greetings Gabor

Attachments

• P2280098.JPG
    P2280098.JPG
    666.1 KB · Views: 914
Hello

Here is these picture I could build these. If I see the tone arm hang on a wire or something that is true.
Can someone explain to me where I must use the magnet please.
Any advise welcome.
I started these project a couple weeks a go but I would like to learn from those who already made it.
I attache the picture, since to me these arm I could build to.
Please help me to understand how will function, pivot etc
Thank you very much
Greetings Gabor

Greetings Gabor

Hello Gabor,
The tonearm is using a thread for suspension and 2 attracting magnets to stabilize and stiffen the tonearm movements, similar to a unipivot (but not exactly).
The top of the thread is connected to a screw that allows to set the gap between the 2 magnets (thus adjusting the attraction force). The bottom of the thread is fixed (tied and glued with epoxy) to the top of the upper magnet, which in its turn is pressed in a whole in the tonearm. The bottom magnet is fixed on the bottom tonearm support piece.
By torsioning the thread you can adjust also the antiskating force in tharm, this is explained in several posts in this thread.
Aligning the top screw/thread/magnet top/magnet bottom is important to obtain even VTF with different playing angles of the tonearm.
There are good pictures of the original Schröder toneram which I used to understand how the suspension is made (except the inner part of course).
Good luck in your work, keep it going, it's worth the results.
Dan

Magnet size on the arm

Hello
Would you be so kind please let me know if these magnet large enough on the arm
20 Neodymium Ring Magnets 4x1x4mm Rare New Silver N42!! | eBay
These has only 1mm inside hole.
The bigger magnet 6mm x 2mm x 6mm already has 2mm hole which is to large I think. These only N40 type
10 Neodymium Ring Magnets 6x2x6mm Rare New Silver N40!! | eBay
I tried to order from USA but they only ship via UPS and the shipping cost is over $80.. That is crazy expensive.
I must get something from the EPay.
Can someone help me please with some advise.
I do not find magnet which is very flat with a small hole..
Thank you very much
I did ordered some carbon fibre tubes, aluminium tubes, I have titanium tube. It look like I can get the rest of the parts, only the arm magnet is a problem
If someone has some extra and want to help me I'm happy to buy some..
Greetings Gabor:)

Hello

Now I already purchased them>??? $20CAD..
If the magnet is OK I will try to tide something to the end of the thread .
I have 0.4mm titanium sheet, I cut a round piece and I'll glued inside the magnet or a piece of aluminium. There is a lot of room these. I will drill a 0.8mm hole.
What can I do now, not much.
Do you think the magnet is to heavy?

Greetings gabor

Attachments

• 5761_12.jpg
    5761_12.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 749
hardware and stuff...

Hi guys,

perhaps off topic, but where do you folks get the cuing mechanism from? I've made a couple, but they are pretty "clunky" to operate. Mechanically they're OK, but not as nice as the ones I've seen herre. I'll also check the parts forum as well...

Find a Rega dealer that can get parts. The tone arm lift is obtainable by itself.
That's what I'm using on my arm. When I made the drawings for the arm, I designed it to accomadate the lift. I bought the lift first so I had the actual part in my hand for exact dimensions.

JD

Hi guys,

perhaps off topic, but where do you folks get the cuing mechanism from? I've made a couple, but they are pretty "clunky" to operate. Mechanically they're OK, but not as nice as the ones I've seen herre. I'll also check the parts forum as well...

Attachments

• lift 1.JPG
    lift 1.JPG
    347.7 KB · Views: 700