F5 with 2SK2013/2SJ313

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
you mentioned that the F5 with k2013/j313 is the best sounding amp in 20W class with gain.
Is it better than "le monstre"? very similar topology

How does it compare to an M2 or a BA-3 with BA pushpull output buffer (or F4), maybe with lateral 1058?

I need zero or low gain, have to choose the Buffer (F4) + preamp or F5 - monstre route

With only one output k2013/j313 pair what power out on the F5? any degradation of sound? I need 2W relay clean

...Is it better than...
...How does it compare to...
It's all about personal preferences and I just stated mine. Anyone might have different opinion on the subject.

...I need ...
It's good to know what you need. After that comes build/test/listen routine in order to find out what you like the best - that's what I do and that's what I can recommend.

I would like to avoid building 3 or 4 amps and choose the one I like.

Prefer to ask you advise and build the one you recommend...

2013/313 are worth the price investment? about 40€ per channel
if one pair can handle 2w then I will go for that

But if with 2sk1058 it is almost the same, in the cubie thread you wrote:

Finally, the sound surpassed my expectations - on my 4 Ohm speakers (Canton CT-1000 and Epos M5) it's not worse than my "end of the road" amp (F5 variant with k2013/j313).

I would like to avoid building 3 or 4 amps and choose the one I like....
Do you think it makes sense for you to marry a woman simply based on our description of women without ever having to meet at least 3 or 4?:)
If you want to avoid building too many amps, at least you should find and listen to some variations of Firstwatt, FWclone or PassDiy amps you find interesting.

I would like to avoid building 3 or 4 amps and choose the one I like.
I'm afraid that's the only way - or having luck nailing it first time...

Prefer to ask you advise and build the one you recommend....
I refrain from recommending people what to build since one member stated that some really bad sounding (to me) mid-fi amps sounded much better to him than another, by all means, subjectively and objectively, much better amp. So, suum cuique...

2013/313 are worth the price investment? about 40€ per channel .
Sure, I understand - you want it best sounding, cheap, simple, and perfect from the start. That's what everybody want...
if one pair can handle 2w then I will go for that
I'd use two pairs per channel at least... If 40€ per channel is too expensive for you and you still aim for the best possible solution, I'd say you should recheck your goals...

But if with 2sk1058 it is almost the same, in the cubie thread you wrote:
Finally, the sound surpassed my expectations - on my 4 Ohm speakers (Canton CT-1000 and Epos M5) it's not worse than my "end of the road" amp (F5 variant with k2013/j313).
Cubie is nice if you build it exactly as described, with GR grade JFETs (Idss about 3mA). OTOH, Cubie2 and 3 do some things better (IMO). Many liked Nelson's F7 (similar, Prophet-like circuit, with positive feedback added) very much... So, once again, if you are not ready to build/experiment you are pretty much on your own...

Last edited:
I use the search button a lot.... On f7 is a long thread but no schema. Is it the same as profet?
I noticed that f5 and cubie are common source output. Cubie 2 cubie 3 and profet are common drain buffer output. Does it mean that 1058 /162 sound quasi as good as 2013/313 in buffer configuration?

... On f7 is a long thread but no schema.
Of course there is no official schematic, it's a commercial product but if you put some effort into studying that thread you'll understand what it is (like those who already built it).

Is it the same as profet?
No.

I noticed that f5 and cubie are common source output. Cubie 2 cubie 3 and profet are common drain buffer output. Does it mean that 1058 /162 sound quasi as good as 2013/313 in buffer configuration?
Not necessarily.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.