F5m kit

I wish Modushop offered heatsinks like those. The heatsinks for that case were cut from two 11"x11" R-Theta model 65340. Back in February of 2003 there was a group buy for those heatsinks. I bought 8 and built an Aleph 2 clone. As time went on some of the participants in that group buy offered their units for sale and I purchased four more. Two of them went into the case shown above, the other two into another case posted here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/f6-illustrated-build-guide.277850/page-67#post-5829055

grimberg,

You cut each 11" x 11" heatsink into 4 pieces or 2 pieces? I am asking, because eyeballing it the case looks around 5.5" - 6" tall, and I see a small mark/gap in the middle indicating that two sinks are being held/joined together - zoomed image below.

1717488887277.png

What did you use to cut this hefty heatsink with long fins?

I wish Modushop offered heatsinks like those. The heatsinks for that case were cut from two 11"x11" R-Theta model 65340. Back in February of 2003 there was a group buy for those heatsinks. I bought 8 and built an Aleph 2 clone. As time went on some of the participants in that group buy offered their units for sale and I purchased four more. Two of them went into the case shown above, the other two into another case posted here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/f6-illustrated-build-guide.277850/page-67#post-5829055
Thanks for the feedback. More on this at this link https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/build-this-mofo.313649/page-169#post-7559435

Reactions: 1 users
@zman01,

I cut each 11" x 11" heatsink into 2 pieces after removing a 3" x 11" section, cut along the length of the fin, from each. I wanted the depth of the case to be around 15.75" or 400mm, the same as the Modushop cases I own.
To cut the heatsinks I used a Freud 10" saw blade for aluminum and non-ferrous metals.

@Gianluca,

Please don't take my comment as criticism. I have several Modushop cases purchased through the DIYaudio store and directly from you. I read through the thread you linked and understand the challenges you face.

@Gianluca,

Please don't take my comment as criticism. I have several Modushop cases purchased through the DIYaudio store and directly from you. I read through the thread you linked and understand the challenges you face.

Not at all, I just wanted to point this out. If it was for me, I would try to accommodate everybody's request but unfortunately that's not economically stainable. Thank you for your loyalty for our company over the years! :)

Reactions: 4 users
I would second what nicoch58 just posted.

The ACA Mini sounds great, offers some different possibilities (jumpers in or out, bias tuning, some additional tweaks if you fancy them), cost less than 150E and will drive very successfully any loudspeaker that isn't too demanding regarding power / impedance (the mini delivers max 8W at 4R).

Assembling it is fun and easy: I did it for the fun.... and for friends I visit to get a taste of the Pass amps, exactly your point!

I consider this as a puzzle or any other similar hobby as still non expensive while being an entertaining build. On top, you get a very good amp, something probably worth 10 times the money re sound quality (if driving adequate loudspeakers): it would be very unlikely you don't use it yourself in one of your sound systems...

Good luck / MFG

Claude (sadly far from Germany)

Aegir is a norse description/symbolization for the sea. Stanislav is just jokingly asking, after nicoch58’s statement “I have read, maybe here, that sound better than Aegir ;) “ -basically meaning does the ACA mini sound better than the Sea?

Before Schitt came out with their Aegir amplifier, the word ‘Aegir’ did/does have historical context which is probably why the Schitt used the word.

Best,
Anand.

Cooked the F5m for a good three hours this morning. Aided by current heat dome weather wave. The large heatsinks throw a surprising amount of heat.

Bias set 0.66v = 1.40A

First go with simple OB full rangers.

Sonny Rollins’ horn definitely produces that edge. Nice amp, grateful for the support here and to its originator.

Reactions: 5 users
Chet Baker through the simple speakers also pleasing.

This morning placed the F5m in the larger system, where the SissySit resides driving the Altec 420a high/mids paired w/ M2x driving the slotted open baffle beta 15's

Edgard Varese, Zappa's favorite composer, now playing. F5m quite dynamic. This amp holds its own. Recalling 6L6 response to member asking 'do I need to build one' answer 'yes'.

Reactions: 1 user