Favourite Curry / Spicy food recipes

Rogan josh - Wikipedia
Many variants, some use curd, some don't.

Try green herbs paste in yogurt as a meat marinade, Cook chicken after marinading an hour, just transfer the lot to a pressure cooker, and after reaching pressure, five to seven minutes.
Coat the cooker with just enough oil to cover, heat to smoking, reduce heat, add the marinaded meat.
Works for other meats, change cooking time to suit.

Coriander, mint, a hint of cardamom, green chillies, whatever is handy, green, and suits your taste. A little salt of course.
Add to yogurt, blend, marinade, cook.
Simple.

Last edited:
Lamb meat has more fat than goat, so we prefer goat.
You have to trim the excess fat or get lean cuts of lamb.
Otherwise not a material difference.
The big difference is in the cooking medium, grilled chicken in Western cooking is cooked in the skin and braised with drippings.
We remove the skin, and use marinaded meat in a Tandoor, which basically seals the skin, and use ghee, butter or oil with a brush, very little is needed.
That actually makes a big difference to the taste.

NareshBrd: thanks so much for this thread. You clearly have a deep understanding of the variety of Indian cuisine. Here in Australia, as far as spicy food, we have a lot of Thai, Vietnamese, Jamaican and Korean, but Indian here is very 'one note'. Just about every indian place has the same, boring menu and that is not at all representative of it.

for this time of year, here in Queensland Australia, we also have extremely high humidity and 35-42C, so I tend towards spicy salads.

Green papaya salad (Som Tum)

Simple.
Copied from net, all rights belong to the original posters.

Attachments

• Papaya Salad.jpg
    Papaya Salad.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Sambharo-1-1200x800.jpg
    Sambharo-1-1200x800.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 103
For the Aussie / UK / USA members:
Cheese Naan / Kulcha / Bhatoora ...are they available?
The first two are baked, Kulcha can be stored three days or so, and Bhatoora is a large fried flat bread, with additives in the dough along with water.
Bhatoora goes well with Chhole, which is chick peas in a tangy mildly spiced base. Bhature is the plural.
Photo below

Attachments

• Chhole Bhature.jpg
    Chhole Bhature.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 82
I can recommend the books by Dan Toombs- The Curry Guy. An American who fell in love with British Indian curry. Just finished a pot of base curry sauce ready to freeze and a chicken madras and korma on the way👍🏻

Attachments

• E92DB65F-80A8-4846-A6A5-F1317A2AE455.jpeg
    E92DB65F-80A8-4846-A6A5-F1317A2AE455.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 81
For the Aussie / UK / USA members:
Cheese Naan / Kulcha / Bhatoora ...are they available?
The first two are baked, Kulcha can be stored three days or so, and Bhatoora is a large fried flat bread, with additives in the dough along with water.
Bhatoora goes well with Chhole, which is chick peas in a tangy mildly spiced base. Bhature is the plural.
Photo below

As a rule, no, but yes, the better establishments do offer cheese naan, Bhature
etc and I make Bhature at home and I like it (or Dosa) with a simple potato and pea curry (Aloo Matar) or Potato, tamarind and black mustard seed similar to Gujarati khattai alu, which i'm not sure is Indian or Pakistani? along with some assortment of pickles, perhaps topped with an egg. Things are much better than they used to be, particularly in the major cities, but I would say the majority of establishments do not really have much character. That is more a result of the bland tastes of the population than anything else.

I can recommend the books by Dan Toombs- The Curry Guy. An American who fell in love with British Indian curry. Just finished a pot of base curry sauce ready to freeze and a chicken madras and korma on the way👍🏻

Yes, this stuff is in every town, of varying quality here in Aus. I like it well enough, but I do prefer more authentic, regional, or modern spins on Indian. I prefer the lighter, brighter fresher flavors to the heavy, woody overly flavored with cumin etc.

It's curry, man. Enjoy.

My point was, I dont particularly :p I didnt mean to offend, it just happened to be exactly what I was talking about with Naresh :). The only time I will eat that stuff is if i'm drunk and my favorite yeeros place is already shut, or out of a packet, when ive got some secondary cuts and no proper spice rack, much money, or effort in me.

Each dish often tastes pretty much the same, whether its beef, lamb, or chicken, cooked till its dry and disintegrating; yet somehow oily at the same time, rather than tender (they used the wrong cut of meat). You can go to pretty much any Indian in any town, often with names like 'Punjabi palace' and find the same menu. Its very hot here in QLD, that stuff is just too heavy for me. I find it does the cuisine a massive disservice. Even the lassis are usually the same, overly sweet mango lassi, rather than the original, quite unusual savory version.

Really good gravies for me are about layers of flavor and balance of salty, sweet, spicy, sour, sometimes quite delicate and often those ones above just overwhelm the palate with chili and cumin; turning everything into the same dish (and not good quality chili either: old, dry, dusty chili and not a hint of sweetness). I could say the same about Mexican up until the renaissance of mexican here 5-10 years ago.

Tamarind is too strong, try mango powder, added last to the dish.

Try this: Chole Bhature | Chana Bhatura (Easy Punjabi Recipe)
Seems authentic

Thankyou, I will try this out this week. I need to make some hummus and baba ganoush for a party next weekend, so i'll put some chickpeas aside. Regarding the amchur, for sure, i'll try that instead of the tamarind next time. I haven't got any asafoetida though and I would have to order that online, is it important in this dish? aside from its erm ... polite ... qualities?

thought who overcooked it? even if it was tender, I still wouldnt enjoy the taste. what makes you think i'm not relaxed? i'm confused how knowing what I like and what I dont like, is equated with being tense ... if I relax, I will still find that sort of curry, ****; or uninspired at best case. apparently so does Naresh.

Horses for courses, they have their place and that place, for me, is when i'm three sheets to the wind.

Last edited: