Favourite Curry / Spicy food recipes

We shallow fry the chopped potato, add chopped cauliflower (Gobhi), and after adding spices, cover up briefly. Finely chopped tomatoes are optional.
Salt and cumin are essential, the rest are as per your personal preferences.

We use a kadhai, basically a wok without the bottom support ring.

@Black Stuart: This is a spicy food thread, you can start a new thread to discuss your concerns.

Also think how your lives would be without central heating.

And also think that the total edible yield from cows is about 35%, including meat steamed off the carcass, and ground cartilage.
The rest is bones, skin, horns and so on.
So you are wasting 65% of the animal, which you raised. Maybe leather, and gelatin can be also processed there at the meat plants.
Try and reduce your meat consumption, and in cold climes where will the vegetables come from? Or what else is edible and grows in cold weather?

Anyway, that is going towards a new and slightly political thread.

Last edited:
Point was that the Europeans are importing beef from South America, and New Zealand, among other places.
Rising prosperity and the availability of cold chain shipping has made this possible.
Think also of the energy cost of shipping anything across the world, and how much is essential.

As for the rain forests, look up the area used for cattle which has been created by destroying forest, offhand I do not think it is significant, more Pamela Anderson PETA stunt, mixed with Greenpeace. I have not actually checked it out.

And if it bothers you, eat only locally produced food, as your way of contributing to the health of the planet.

Covid has brought some of these concerns out.

I used the BIR gravy to make lamb chop curry today, along with creamed spinach and fried sweet potato with spinach and spices. It turned out quite well.

Attachments

• Lamb.jpg
    Lamb.jpg
    708.4 KB · Views: 64
Some places give only chutney at breakfast, deeming sambar too spicy in the morning. Sambar is served at lunch, or later in the day there...
Just soak dal and rice above 20 Celsius overnight, coarse grind, and let it ferment slightly.
Cook in the evening or later.
For vada, heat oil to smoking, then reduce slightly.
Use small balls to start vada, it is called medu vada or Mysore Bhajji, the smaller balls are easier to cook through.

Funnily enough I don't think I had dosa in India! There were lots of places selling them. The best dosa I ever had was at a place in New York on the Upper West Side, Saravanaa Bhavan. Also in Halifax, NS where I mostly live there is an Indian food and culture festival every year, and I try to get there for dosa and other foods.

I made dosa a couple of times, and I will say that batter will stick to anything if the temperature is too low!