• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FH9HVX - Budget Conscious 100w Class AB for Lean Times

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Vunce,
So I twisted the inputs together, soldered my power inlet and.....voila, no noise from the speaker.

Should my next plan be to connect the grounds of the other channel to the star ground and twist the inputs as before, power up and check? I will disable power to the first channel before powering 2nd channel, Correct?

MM

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks Guys,

I managed to find some time before golf to connect the second channel and power up. Another success with no noise from speaker.

It is time to work on my enclosure, to mount peripheral components. I have a question relating to grounds again:

In my diagram below, the SFP will be mounted to chassis, so should not need ground wire to star post (Correct?). The 2 emi filters will be mounted to an "non-metal enclosure" and the outputs of the emi filters attach to the terminal block and then to the transformers.

Encl.JPG

Question: I should not have to ground the emi filters, due to connection to the SFP.

Thanks for the help,

MM

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Myles,
The SFP only deals with AC line and neutral return. There is no earth ground or protective ground connection on it. The standoffs are on isolated parts of the PCB. There is a ground for the remote control logic, but that’s not the same as a PE ground.

Why do you need external EMI filters? What are those filters? Usually the filters will be in same chassis as the PSU and metal case contains the EMI.

No PE shown in schematic:
821924d1583218280-soft-feather-pillow-sfp-ssr-soft-start-circuit-gb-sfp-v2-3-schematic-jpg

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi X,

Thanks for the answer about the OV pad on the RTR SSR thread. I have one other question concerning mounting the Instant Off module.

I will be mounting 2 of these to the base of my metal chassis. Do I need to electrically insulate the vero board pcb from the chassis base with nylon washers?

Thanks for the help,

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It depends on how much power you plan on running continuously. Full power then size it like a Class A amp. If you like to run at say, 25w on average then use 0.67x efficiency factor for Class AB.

So about 1/3rd of power is dissipation or about 12-15w is round number. Assume 25C ambient and assume you don’t want heat sink more than about 55C. So that is 30C rise.

So there is your K/W rating for 25w continuous: 30C(K)/15w or 2K/W.

If you want to size it for say 50w continuous then 1K/W.

Or 100w continuous then 0.5K/W (like a big a class A amp).