Geddes on Waveguides

gedlee said:

Thats fine - show it - just don't criticize with no data to support a position that you know better.
I am not criticizing, at least it's not my intention. It was always my intention to look at all different designs objectively.

Providing data on dome tweeters would be really off topic. If anyone wishes to open a thread to discuss this issue. I'd be glad to post my data on an old Thiel tweeter.

As for this thread. I'm already posting more new data than probably any other member in the past few months. It would be nice if you could post more data than criticizing views that differ from yours, maybe calculation of impulse symmetry that you criticize others about?;)

gedlee said:
Matt, you were typing while I was typing, but you beat me.

You are really catching on. Your comments are extremly perceptive and right on the money. Its envigorating to hear someone who has seen the light! I can only hope that in some way I helped you along this path. I wish that I had students like you!

How does the saying go? You honor yourself by honoring your teacher.

You've absolutely been influential in my understanding of things on these topics, and I cherish the knowledge I've acquired in this short time knowing you.

Hello Soongsc,

What you said about someone preference that could be for "no foam" inside the waveguide make me remember of many experiments me and others have done on fiber filling ratio inside closed enclosure or bass-reflex. (no scientific study I know about this though).

Apart the different "tuning" required for the box volume (or/and the vents if any) a majority appeared to concluded that too much foam was detrimental to the sound...

I used to study ultrasounds transmission through porous rocks and I doubt that the only effect of the foam inside the waveguide is linear as it has been said. I would like to have access to a study of the shape of pulses at different angle from the axis, with and without foam...

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

soongsc said:
Very interesting things happen when you change the throat. Note now the directivity is not as good, but much smoother. Actually, at 19.8KHz the directivity is still quite good and still quite smooth.

I actually think if Earl's design had a specially designed driver with a well match with the wave guide, performance could really be such that possibly foam would not be necessary.

Jmmlc said:
I would like to have access to a study of the shape of pulses at different angle from the axis, with and without foam...
As I thought, it should be enough to know the frequency response in combination with the phase response. In this case one does not need the phase response to describe the foam/grille impact on sound, as they do not insert an energy storage element. So the sonogram/radiation diagram is an adequate illustration, isn't it?
Best regards, Timo

Hello Tiki,

I don't know if we can a priori say that the foam don't store energy... even if it is called "open cells" the foam contain cells with different links to neighbouring cells... it is not a continuum. Poroacoustics in such medium is not something we can a priori predict so easily...

But from another point of view, foam by definition possess a solid skeletton and the speed of sound in a solid is far larger than in air. We should verify if first arrival by solidian transmission is something that happens or not...

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

tiki said:

As I thought, it should be enough to know the frequency response in combination with the phase response. In this case one does not need the phase response to describe the foam/grille impact on sound, as they do not insert an energy storage element. So the sonogram/radiation diagram is an adequate illustration, isn't it?
Best regards, Timo

Jmmlc said:
Hello Soongsc,

What you said about someone preference that could be for "no foam" inside the waveguide make me remember of many experiments me and others have done on fiber filling ratio inside closed enclosure or bass-reflex. (no scientific study I know about this though).

Apart the different "tuning" required for the box volume (or/and the vents if any) a majority appeared to concluded that too much foam was detrimental to the sound...

I used to study ultrasounds transmission through porous rocks and I doubt that the only effect of the foam inside the waveguide is linear as it has been said. I would like to have access to a study of the shape of pulses at different angle from the axis, with and without foam...

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

And I actually have a sheet of 1cm thick open cell foam on the wall behind the speakers which does a great job absorbing higher frequency reflections allowing better image and soundstage depth. I have also played around with stuffing in an enclosure, and about 10% weight difference seems to start presenting audible differences when compared, but may be unnoticed when listened to individually.

In the simple sims I did with the BEM software, it seems that in order to obtain optimum design of a horn/guide, it is necessary to consider wave travel starting from the diaphragm. I am sure Earl realizes this, otherwise he would not have considered designing a phase plug as he mentioned earlier in this thread.

The length of the part from the diaphragm is critical, especially in an OS wave guide because the exit of the throat acts like a lip of a wave guide, only at a higher frequency. Too short, there will be HOMs above certain frequency. Too long, then there seems to be some kind of reflection from the throat exit. From what I can see based on sims, it would probably be very very difficult to get a pure plane wave at the smallest section of the throat at all frequencies. So right now, I'm really wondering what the third wave guide in my test will be.

soongsc said:
Yes, grill cloth does reduce resolution. Some people choose the good looks of the grill cloth and willing to give up that little resolution, some people remove the grill because they like better resolution. Just because one person cannot here a difference does not mean others cannot either

What do you mean by a reduction in resolution. Are you referring to the affect on frequency response? Does bandwidth equate to resolution?

MartinQ said:

What do you mean by a reduction in resolution. Are you referring to the affect on frequency response? Does bandwidth equate to resolution?
What I refer to as resolution is the capability to resolve low level signals that exist in recordings. Unfortunately frequency response is not directly related with this although increased bandwith does seem to help. In video, there are clear definitions regarding resolution even though much is not known to the public. In audio, there seems to be not clear method of defining it.

To give everone a feel as to what is going on, here is a new set of pics. Basically quite a ways back I posted a pic indicating how the throat, guide, size effect how dispersion is controlled which had inspired me. Also inspired by lot's of things mentioned in this thread by Dr. Geddes, this BEM software really is good to explore various options to get a general feeling what's going on. It's not coing to be accurate for a final call, but it's good enough for those without much math capability to get things rolling.

Attachments

• 60+ horn original 60 thoat.jpg
    60+ horn original 60 thoat.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 906
Hello Soongsc,

You'll be interested in the comparison between the profiles of waveguide you presented to us in your last message and a Le Cléac'h horn calculated using:

Fc = 650 and T = 2,7

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

soongsc said:
To give everone a feel as to what is going on, here is a new set of pics. Basically quite a ways back I posted a pic indicating how the throat, guide, size effect how dispersion is controlled which had inspired me. Also inspired by lot's of things mentioned in this thread by Dr. Geddes, this BEM software really is good to explore various options to get a general feeling what's going on. It's not coing to be accurate for a final call, but it's good enough for those without much math capability to get things rolling.

Attachments

• soongsc_jmlc.jpg
    soongsc_jmlc.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 905
Hello Jean-Michel,
Jmmlc said:
I don't know if we can a priori say that the foam don't store energy... even if it is called "open cells" the foam contain cells with different links to neighbouring cells... it is not a continuum. Poroacoustics in such medium is not something we can a priori predict so easily...
Of course you are right - in principle. In my opinion the damping will dominate the energy storage, so the eventually existing resonances should be marginal. What else is the reason for using open cell foam like Basotect for acousting dampening purposes? Until now I did not notice any additional resonances by adding damping material in my (rare) measurements, even though the reflections due to acoustic impedance changes (they are low in most cases).

Jmmlc said:
But from another point of view, foam by definition possess a solid skeletton and the speed of sound in a solid is far larger than in air. We should verify if first arrival by solidian transmission is something that happens or not...
Hmm, as I believe to remember, soft materials can exhibit significantly lower speeds of sounds than air. The speed of sound along the way through the open cells will be lower too. But I did not measure, maybe I will do a "test" at the next opportunity.

Thanks!
Regards, Timo

Hell Tiki,

I never spoke of resonance as a feature that the foam could exhibit. The effect I think is more about delayed signals varying with frequency. This will be seen as a distortion of the shape of the pulse reponse.

As a difference to tuned pipe, the effect of reflected energy on the impedance curve of horn loaded driver are quite small, we must look at very tiny changes there (same as for the reduction of small parasitic impedance peaks due to internal stationary waves inside closed enclosure using dampening material).

I don't deny that the dampening of the HOMs by the foam could have a benefitial effect (I use to experiment a waveguide with and without foam and it was far less tiring with the foam than without...) on the sound of the waveguide. But the question raised by Soongsc, is: "is there some negative effects , by example on the dynamics- that were ignored until now using the foam plug inside the horn)..."

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

tiki said:
Hello Jean-Michel,

Of course you are right - in principle. In my opinion the damping will dominate the energy storage, so the eventually existing resonances should be marginal. What else is the reason for using open cell foam like Basotect for acousting dampening purposes? Until now I did not notice any additional resonances by adding damping material in my (rare) measurements, even though the reflections due to acoustic impedance changes (they are low in most cases).

Hmm, as I believe to remember, soft materials can exhibit significantly lower speeds of sounds than air. The speed of sound along the way through the open cells will be lower too. But I did not measure, maybe I will do a "test" at the next opportunity.

Thanks!
Regards, Timo

Jmmlc said:
Hello Soongsc,

You'll be interested in the comparison between the profiles of waveguide you presented to us in your last message and a Le Cléac'h horn calculated using:

Fc = 650 and T = 2,7

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Hi Jean-Michel,

Is it possible to show the pattern out to 1meter distance? It seems a good idea to look at different frequencies. I am interested in how various shapes effect the overall pattern, if the pattern looks funny, then I zoom into the throat area.

Hello Soongsc,

Any body have access to my spreadsheet at

http://ndaviden.club.fr/outils/axial.zip

so the best thing should be that you calulate the profile yourself and import it in your software, so the further process will be the same as the simulations you yet presented to use.

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

soongsc said:

Hi Jean-Michel,

Is it possible to show the pattern out to 1meter distance? It seems a good idea to look at different frequencies. I am interested in how various shapes effect the overall pattern, if the pattern looks funny, then I zoom into the throat area.

Jmmlc said:
Hello Soongsc,

Any body have access to my spreadsheet at

http://ndaviden.club.fr/outils/axial.zip

so the best thing should be that you calulate the profile yourself and import it in your software, so the further process will be the same as the simulations you yet presented to use.

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

It makes me wish the girlfriend that studied French was around.

:)

Hello Soongsc,

in the sheet "entrée_et_calculs" you have 3 parameters to set:

1) "diamètre de gorge (mm)" which is the throat diameter. put 25,4 for a 1 inch throat.

2) "fréquence de coupure acoustique (Hz)" which is "acoustical cut off frequency of the horn" and by default is 160. You'll have to change that value to 650 (or whatever you want)

3) "coefficient T dans la loi d'expansion =" the T coefficient (when T >>1 you tend toward waveguides). Default value is 0, you'll have to change the value to 2,7.

Then you may go inside "profils" to look at the profile of the axial horn (in red, don't bother with the blue curve)

Then in the sheet "sous_echantillonage_de_points" (= subsampling of points of the profile) you'll find a subsampling of the coordinates of the points describing the profile are under the writtings:
"profil du pavillon dans le plan vertical".

Each point is associated with 2 coordiantes: "distance to throat" and "half width" (well that's english language...)

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

soongsc said:

It makes me wish the girlfriend that studied French was around.

:)